Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Hawkgirl posted:

I'm not a UCI kid myself so I don't actually know. All the people I recognize are either United Church of Christ or Unitarian Universalist people.

I know Orange County is tiny so it's easy to assume it's all poo poo. But even Orange County is mostly not shitheads, in a lot of areas. Generally the further you are from the ocean, the less terrible people are (but there are some major exceptions to that, both ways).

Living in Riverside blows. Its politically bloddy red and the weather sucks. but the people don't act like the smug assholes like you find in Orange County. My wife and I are toying with the idea of moving to Irvine for the richer clients for our business. But I can't handle the attitude people have there.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
To celebrate gay rights, I'm eating some nachos. With some sticky black beans and white cheese.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Mayor Dave posted:

Yeah, the biggest problem with Prop 13 is that it applies to commercial property as well as residential property. Commercial property is mostly only re-evaluated when it's sold, leading many companies to play shell games to dodge tax increases. If the Dems would revise the Constitution (yes I know that requires a ballot initiative as well) the revenue from commercial property that's effectively being taxed on 1970s property values would take care of a lot of our problems.

Geeze, who was the biggest contributor on that? I think my residential property taxes change yearly, definitely goes to show that corporate interests are above all else.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Sinestro posted:

I know it's a Republican cliché, but there is a lot of bullshit regulation. For example, "CARB certification" requires that an aftermarket part manufacturer give CARB a car of each model and model year that they would like to certify the part for, as well as $10,000 for each model and model year. It has no benefit over simply measuring emissions at the tailpipe other than making money.

It would be nice if the visual part was dumped, possibly even an exempt status for "under x miles annually." Instead we have police harassing drivers for what kind of car they drive and forcing their hood to be popped on thin probable cause. I wish more effort was put into proper traffic education, might do wonders on pollution if people knew how to get up to highway speed when merging, moving right if nobody is in front of you while everyone is behind you, congestion due to lovely driving is quite a bitch on pollution levels.
Hasn't most of our clean air come from regulation at the manufacture, and not the smog check itself? I've been having a hard time finding data on it since they both happened at the same time.
I might be rambling though, I'm terrible.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 29, 2013

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Didn't realize that the high speed rail would travel from Riverside to Sacramento, a 6 hour drive I do often, and want to kill myself doing it. Flying, while itself only takes a little over an hour, ends up being a 5 hour ordeal with the family with terminal waiting and just plain ol' wasting time around an airport. It would be nice if the HSR was a nice middle ground.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

rope kid posted:

I think most people were waiting for the bottom to become reasonable; it never did.

edit: beaten by a couple of pages, but ill leave it up anyway.

It never did because over seas investors snatched up houses in bulk and they were instantly turned into rental properties only to be sold when the value is high again. Many houses never saw the market, and those that did people bought sight unseen. Its loving unreal it is happening again and nobody gives a gently caress.

My wife bought our house before we were married at the peak of the market. 400,000 dollars for 2,000 sq feet in god drat RIVERSIDE. We could no longer afford the 4,000 dollars a month (15 year), luckily we re-fi'd at the end of last year and got an awesome 2.8 rate and a 500 dollar payment while taking money out at the same time.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 26, 2013

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Willa Rogers posted:

Ah, OK: that totally makes sense within that context.

I seem to have confused a lot of people with leaving out relevant info. The house was bought in 2004 and after we got married we were throwing money at it, much higher than the payment required, because we were dumb and riding the money train. Her business was doing good, my job was doing good, everything was awesome and we were trying to pay the house off early. Things took a downturn in 2009, but we were still fine. By the end of 2012 my wife informed me that we were living off of savings for months. Which she should have said something to me because I sold an extra car I no longer needed and bought a few luxuries instead of just selling it and saving. So I checked the bank and I found out we owed 40k, so we started a refinance and pulled an additional 40k for an "oh poo poo" fund.
The new payments are $500 (rounding here) for a 15 year. Taxes and insurance extra.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 27, 2013

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
But you see he was a "Republican." I get that poo poo unironically and it drives me nuts.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

krysmopompas posted:

I'd ask where you're finding such an amazing deal, but I know it's just going to be ruined by an $800+ HOA fee.

God I can't stand HOA. Unless its a small build site, you can't find anything newish without an HOA. I'm currently not in a HOA but we have looked around in the past for another place. I don't care about a community pool or gate, and I don't need somebody bitching at me because I was working on my car. Nothin' like owning a home, but you really don't.
One of the biggest problem is we run a piano studio in our home, we took a front bedroom window and knocked it out and replaced it with a door so students don't have to come through the house. This wouldn't fly in a HOA and I would imagine that if we didn't put in a door, we would have a problems with the HOA frowning on the piano lessons in general.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Did you forget there is an entire mountain range in SanBernardino? But yes the city is pure poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

FCKGW posted:

I'm coming on 2 years in the Inland Empire after living all my life in North Orange County (which is actually quite different from South Orange County that most people think of) so I don't pretend to have all the answers but if I get some time I might write some stuff up about things I find interesting or unique about the area.

I will repost this from the suburbia thread in GBS about my wonderful city though:

I live in Eastvale, CA, a new city founded in 2010 on the land of old dairy farmers who cashed out during the boom. Our population went from 5,000 in 2000 to 50,000 in 2010. It's the very definition of a suburban wasteland.

http://goo.gl/maps/0XWSF

We've got an Applebees and a Target, but no library or post office. Our city hall is located in the shopping center between a Gamestop and Nestle Toll House cookie store. The houses are big (mine is 4200sq. ft.) and the schools are nice, but it's so very much suburbia. Nothing feels right, I can't quite put my finger on it.

The problem is that it's very difficult to afford a house in Orange County or LA where most people out here work. 80% of our residents commute to OC or LA, my commute into Irvine is 45 miles each way. To move closer to work would mean spending 3x as much for a house 1/2 the size.

Luckily there is a option for me to take the train but even then the commute is still 90 minutes.

I love working on my lawn though and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Eastvale is the weirdest thing. I still call it Mira Loma. I go to the chiropractor next to the Five Guys there. When I drive on the 15 though there all I keep saying is "this used to be miles of cow poo poo" Mind if I ask what you paid so I can cut myself? My 2000 sq footer in riverside was 400k in 2004.

• Locked thread