Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Miss-Bomarc posted:

If you want to travel from a point in the tourist district of San Francisco to a point on the outskirts of LA, and you want to do something that takes twice as long as flying, then high-speed rail is a good choice for you.

Twice as long is what, two hours? I'll trade that for much cheaper fare and no airport security lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thanatosian posted:

Technically speaking, non-hispanic whites are already a minority in CA. But so is everybody else. :eng101:

But yeah, in a few years, they won't even be the largest minority.

So's Texas actually (and actually TexMex is a lot spicier than normal mexican food).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nm posted:

Depends. We have a somewhat higher than average income tax, but property taxes are probably the lowest in the nation unless some state doesn't have property tax. Prop 13 especially insures that anyone (or their family) who bought property in the 80s or earlier, pays almost no property tax. This applies to companies too. Property values can only be re-assessed up if the property is sold to a non family member. The best part is that if you sell a business that owns property, that property stays assessed at old values. Companies create corporations for the sole purpose of holding a single large property, then instead of selling the property they sell the holding company.
California tax is hosed up, and most of it can be linked to prop 13 and the huge holes it creates.

That said, we allegedly have a budget surplus this year. Many of the inland counties are still hosed though.

You also have a surprisingly high sales tax rate (7.5% statewide, with local districts able to add up to 1% extra; for reference here in Texas the rate is 8.25%).

e: Apparently the "official" general sales tax in Texas is only 6.25% and local districts can just add up to 2%.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

withak posted:

Prop 13 is one of the reasons that the price spikes so much with gentrification. If you take that factor out then gentrification might not be accompanied by as steep of a rise in prices.

Above a certain level it doesn't really matter how high they spike, at least for people already living in the area. If the gentrification still caused folks who had lived there for a few generations to move out due to prices, then it's a net positive (or at least no difference) to keep prop 13.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xaris posted:

As mentioned, SF is already very dense. To be fair, virtually every major city in America is spread out sprawl so it's sort of akin to winning the Special Olympics.

SF is actually three times as dense as London or Rome and almost twice as dense as Berlin. It's still a pretty compact place.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Illumination posted:

You joke, but yes, the Inland Empire is surrounded by the Santa Ana and the Santa Rosa mountains and they do a fantastic job of keeping in all the pollution produced by the LA basin.

And then you get to the temperature Inversions and literally die from smog.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Geared Hub posted:

One of my former co-workers left the film industry and started growing strawberries over in east San Bernardino county. He family business [organic self pick berries] goes through about 30-40,000 gallons of water per month.

I wouldn't minding numbers on residential lawn/garden water usage vs agricultural / industrial use, because I'm willing to bet commercial water use is several magnitudes greater than residential, especially when it comes to waste.

So the guy who has a lawn in LA would be a drop in the bucket.

I think I remember seeing a report about Nevada and how while Las Vegas uses a lot of water something like 75% of the water drain of the area was due to agriculture.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

etalian posted:

Back to California best state:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57602764/california-poised-to-raise-minimum-wage-to-$10-an-hour/

(Of course it's just a increase of $1 per year)

$10/hour is actually right about the inflation adjusted peak of the 60s so that's pretty big.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I wonder if this would effect Help Desk positions and the like in the area though, if those haven't already been outsourced to India (there were threads in SH/SC about how people were making $10/hour in IT positions although probably not in California specifically).

Edit: Basically, I'm wondering how many positions are going to be "pushed up" (between the current minimum wage and $10/hour).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Miss-Bomarc posted:

I remember when McJobs were a bad thing, when they were proof that Republican idiocy had permanently damaged the economic makeup of America, when it was horrific to think that someone would have a multi-year full-time career as a fast-food worker.

They seem to be the only potential source of Unionization (and there is absolutely zero way they are ever being outsourced) these days so work with what you've got.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OneEightHundred posted:

Saying we need lovely jobs so we can have unions to fight back against lovely jobs is a bit circular.

The only problem with lovely jobs in general is that they generally don't compensate you well enough.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hog Obituary posted:

If you think your local taqueria isn't using the cheapest stuff available to it, you're in for a surprise. I'm not seeing why it would be any better for you than Chipotle.

Yeah, there's a reason why food trucks in New York were bitching because they had to do things like "have actual hygiene standards".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Seoinin posted:

On the other hand, didn't the state come pretty close to abolishing the death penalty last year? I seem to recall it losing by a narrow margin in LA at least. "Soft on crime" doesn't pull the kind of support it used to in metro areas.

apparently 13 people have been executed since it was reinstated in 1978. That's low enough that the prison unions shouldn't care (and indeed you'd think they would support "lock them up for eternity").

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

Hey, I might move there next year and I hear really good things about it. What's wrong with it?

Houston has a lot of sprawl but otherwise it's mostly fine. Dallas has basically the same issues but is also full of shithead conservatives.

(San Antonio is probably the best large city in the Central-Texas area)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Family Values posted:

It's truly amusing watching Millenials behave almost exactly as their parents did 30-40 years ago. And if their parents continue to be a good guide, in about a decade or so most of the Millenials will tire of the city and move out to the burbs as their parents did in the mid-80s.

I think there will be less of this if only because there are constraints now that didn't exist 30 years ago (most notably fuel prices).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

comes along bort posted:

30 years ago (31 technically) the nationwide annual average peaked at 2.68/gallon accounting for inflation, and it didn't get that high again until 7 years ago

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/facts/2012_fotw741.html

And in 2 years it slid to $2 and the next year it went below $2 and it stayed that way until 2001 or so.

Gas prices are already a dollar/gallon above that momentary peak and I'll be confident in saying they're probably never getting as low as they were in 82 ever again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FRINGE posted:

"Stay ethical OC!"
Don't call it that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Papercut posted:

If you want to go to Vegas anyway, then I would highly recommend Zion over the Grand Canyon. It has way more to do, is much closer, and in my opinion is more scenic. The north rim of the Grand Canyon is just kind of boring, especially if you only have enough time to do hikes along the rim. You could also just drive straight from SD to Zion, it's about 500 miles.

Yosemite would also be a much better choice, like Zion it is just better than the Grand Canyon.

Yeah, having been to both a year or two ago Zion is much more interesting than the north rim. The Grand Canyon will make you feel tiny and insignificant, but other than that there's not much to do unless you plan on going into the canyon (which is a lot more planning).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doctor Malaver posted:

As for the cell phones, can we buy some local sim cards with a basic plan? We don't need to call home but we'll have to be able to talk to each other.

Yes, buy some Tracfones for about $40 total and the coverage map looks like this:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blinkman987 posted:

I never thought I'd be hoping for a tropical storm to hit the west coast, but here we are.

We had something similar happen in Texas a while ago. If it's like what happened then the storm will totally evaporate and just leave everything very humid.

It won't though because COLD WATER CURRENTS YEAH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leperflesh posted:

Guacamole is, fundamentally: avacado, onion, garlic, lime juice, and salt. Optionally: cilantro, tomato, chiles, other stuff.

I should try salt in mine, but I normally do avocado, cilantro, tomatillo, and lime juice.

• Locked thread