Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
agarjogger
May 16, 2011
So does California qualify as the most regressive state considering:
1. it is probably the most blessed economic plot on Earth
2. its citizens claim to, and arguably, tend to "know better"

I've heard that conditions for dairy cows in California are the worst in the nation and Wisconsin's dairy trade group has thought about suing California's, saying that a claim on television that California cows live anything short of a tortured existence is a lie demonstrable in court.

I thought California was pretty liberal until I heard about your prisons. You must be a model society by now, having removed so many impure elements from your ranks. What the loving gently caress? The number of prisoners alone negates completely, all by itself, any claim at all the state ever had of being a cut above. I see those documentaries and am weirded out when I don't hear deep South drawls, and the guards drive Lexuses instead of F350's.

Also, what's with all the loving driving. Even the bay area is car-dependent as poo poo. Are the nice things I hear about this place private propaganda put out by creative types?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW8UlY8eXCk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

States with impending UHC are in first place. All states with anything else are in dead last.
What year is California making the upgrade, again? Kaiser Permanente, would you happen to have anything to say about that? I'd tell you what that was (if anything), but the first fifty results for "California uhc" are for a local health insurance company and negative reviews thereof.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Dusseldorf posted:

Bakersfield gets 6

Aaaaand here's what they do with it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Bastard Tetris posted:

California anecdote! I work for a biotech firm that got bought in 2010 by an oil supermajor. Their first plan was to relocate the site to Houston. They renenged on the idea when they realized noone would relocate with them. Three years later, less than one percent of the staff has moved, and every time it's been for a huge promotion.

I'm pretty sure companies know this obvious fact deep down, but are hoping that if enough companies pretend otherwise, labor will pretend too. You can't uproot skilled labor from a nice city to a nationally-renowned poo poo one without offering to make them all multi-millionaires. For Texas to strangle California, their companies would have to pay 1.5x-2.0x wages. Since that's loving ridiculous, California is still kicking. But maybe if you can convince people that caring about anything but numerical salary is for snobs and atheists, you can make them move to Texas for a $10,000 bonus, so lets try that.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FCKGW posted:

It's wildfire season in SoCal again and there's a big fire that's been burning near my coworker's house in Lake Elsinore. This was snapped by someone the other day of the firefighting near his home.

God forgive me.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Captain Frigate posted:

I'm shocked, shocked to hear that the real estate industry has no concern for sustainability, long term planning, or the welfare of the people it serves!

The National Association of Realtorstm and the 1.2 motherfucking million real estate agents it represents is without a doubt one of the most dangerous lobbying groups in the US, and without looking it up I'd be willing to bet they caused the financial crisis. Also I think the point of curvilinear streets is to protect residents from the sight of hundreds of identical houses, which would all be visible if the streets were straight. And you'd feel like you lived in a piece of fractal art. For the concept done well, see Riverside, IL. It's not expensive, developers just have to take a break from making GBS threads and pissing nonstop on every fundamental of community development they can isolate and wreck.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

withak posted:

If traffic was better in LA then people would have nothing to make conversation about when they finally arrive at their destination.

That's actually a good point. If you want to make a list of things that unify Los Angeles area residents, it's like:
1. traffic
2. earthquake readiness
3. In-n-Out burger

Which would put horrible congestion in both the asset and liability columns of the city's ledgers. Which is pretty loving depressing.
But everyone from the WB exec down to the taco stand cook has to suffer the same hellish fate on the Ventura Fwy.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Also, does anyone else thing we should get rid of carpool lanes as well? When gas was cheap, the lanes served as a motivation to carpool. If you ride two or more, you get to ride in a special lane to "beat traffic". Now that gas isn't so cheap, the main motivation to carpool is to save money. Getting rid of the lanes won't have an impact on carpool rates as long as gas prices continue to increase.

Isn't that just a double motivation to carpool? I figured the carpool lanes would hang around until they filled up, at which point, mission accomplished.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Motorcycles don't have all the emissions controls cars do, so they put out a lot more NOx, SOx, unburnt carbon, soot, etc. However, they are far, far, far more fuel efficient than cars.

The gap in fuel mileage between modern 5-person cars and motorcycles (of all types and displacements) is actually fairly modest and closing quickly, since mid-size (500-800cc) motorcycles average 50 mpg or so. Cars are improving rapidly in anticipation of government mandates and in response to consumer pressure, but motorcycle mfg's have made no recent improvements of their own for the same reasons. If anything, engine sizes just keep getting larger. If auto mileage keeps improving, the only class of bikes that will continue to have a significant fuel advantage over cars are 250cc or less. This is before passenger miles are considered, and motorcycles carry passengers much more rarely than do cars.

You'll certainly save gas riding anything but a Harley-Davidson (which is lucky to see 40 mpg), but not nearly so much as you think. And if you have a passenger in your car, the advantage is erased. To see excellent mileage in the range of 80-100mpg, you need a small moto (125-250cc) or a scooter (50-250cc).

Superpowered gas mileage comes with an electric-assist bicycle, whose efficiency really cannot be beat.

Zeitgueist posted:

As a bicycle commuter, I'd actually wager that a lot more motorcycle accidents are car error than bikes cutting lanes.

I think like half are all of the same type. Car turning left across traffic + I didn't see him! Same with bicycles.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 21, 2013

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Der Meister posted:

As a doctor at a socal level 1 trauma center, I have to disagree.

There are two large-scale reports on motorcycle safety, HURT and MAIDS. Most riders who are on the fence about their hobby have read them and decided whether or not they're comfortable with the risk. And honestly someone who has to look at the actual exposed guts of a traffic accident is probably the worst person to ask about whether driving/riding is safe.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Also, ironically enough it penalizes suburban life since the fares correspond to distance traveled.

This isn't really a BART thing, more of a transportation thing.

BART's loud as poo poo in the transbay tube. Louder than the loving Eurostar in the chunnel.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

I like that Portland comes in better than LA, when it's only slightly larger than Long Beach.

Yeah, I think the conservative critique of the bold new thinking out of places like Portland and Boulder is somehow spot on (broken clock). These places are tiny and practically all-white. They're loving irrelevant to places I live. Also Portland drew a city boundary and then built loving sprawl inside of it, so it's quite possible they don't know poo poo about anything.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
If sincere, the Santa Cruz citizens (yes students can be local citizens too), who opposed the plant are correct on one point: water conservation is preferable to building plants which are so energy intensive, they are commonly nuclear powered (which would certainly be opposed in SC).

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Ardennes posted:

It sounds like it would be powered by fossil fuels which would be negated with offsets, which is a lot of carbon offsets.

Carbon offsets are a Sopranos-waste management level scam of Biblical proportion waiting to happen. Groan. Either do a thing or don't. Don't do it and pay someone else not to.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Dahbadu posted:

I live in Northern CA and I love it. But I've been to Seattle, and their bus system + light rail is way better and cheaper than Bart + the SF bus system. I call bullshit on that chart.

While I bet their buses are hipper and whiter, Seattle has one less train line than Atlanta (which has two). So they probably count on complicated geography to make it seem like you're getting places quickly when you're not. No thanks. Also, Tom Ashbrook's NPR show did a whole episode on how it's hard to move to Seattle because everyone there is extraordinarily aloof and done making friends (they even named the phenomenon the Seattle Freeze, for when you're getting along well with someone and you invite their family over for dinner, and they get all deer-in-the-headlights and actually refuse rather clumsily). Things people believe about other groups of people are generally wrong, but that would fit Seattle so perfectly.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
The reason it's sending the right, and honestly the FYGM middle into a fury is that it almost looks like a dignified hourly wage (even if it probably isn't). And in the conservaverse, dignity is the scarcest of all societal resources and giving a bit of dignity to a fry cook is akin to stealing 1,000 times that amount from a hedge funder. An illegal transfer of smug from the smuggest to the smug-bare.

It's never really about the money with these people. Little kings of ashpiles, and so on.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 13, 2013

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FCKGW posted:

My mother in law just saw this on the news and she exclaimed "Lots of companies going to move out of California now!"

I didn't want to try and explain that the types of businesses that pay minimum wage don't just "move out" of an area like that.

Also, good. Who cares, gently caress them. CA would be better off without them. Fast food now exists at a state of maximum competition, and we're still somehow at a place where putting the french fries on the hamburger counts as an innovation worthy of a national ad blitz. The whole sector is poo poo and the only thing they contribute is crap jobs and intestinal cancer. They most resemble the cigarette companies in every other regard. Everyone knows that if half of these companies were to just vanish, it would be an improvement because they might compete on service and their employees wouldn't be wards of the state.

loving poo poo. Try garnering some affection first if you want your fake threats to be heeded by anyone outside the business press. Some day soon, GOP strategists are going to advise that corporate leadership simply stop making candid public statements, lest the plebs discover how loving dumb their ruling class has become.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

All Of The Dicks posted:

Look, guys, if you aren't a special snowflake that stands out from the crowd and promotes synergy, you deserve to starve slowly. Do you think we can just have run-of-the-mill nobodies consuming adequate calories? They don't even engage in any creative destruction!

Agh loving buzzwords and waterfalls of bullshit. Make it stop.
Corporate rule, worst rule. Send me to the gulags but for gods sakes don't make me read one more book about our Matrix-like digital economy, or about how globalism is like Hitler, Mao, and Genghis Khan sitting around a plate of bananas flambé.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

See: https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/open-enrollment-period/

If you want to enroll using the Marketplace, you have to do it during open enrollment. You can always buy private health care insurance elsewhere at any time, but the Marketplace is where you're using the power of collective negotiating power to get better rates, and also subsidy from the government if you qualify for that.

How in particular is the Marketplace exerting collective bargaining power?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Hey, great post. Thanks for the info.
So did the crappy states' citizens dodge a bullet when many of those governors declined to set up their own exchanges and default to the federal one? It seems like there's a bit of involvement and effort in making an exchange-provided plan a better deal, and we're already seeing states like Florida sabotage their own navigators. On day loving one, naturally.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Conservatives are really loving mad that CA is doing so well with a Democratic supermajority. All of their cries of "Watch all the jobs leave for Texas" were complete poo poo and it's pissing them off, so yea, I expect some amazing comments about how we're actually the worst place in the world to live/own a business.

At least the latest Texas frontier myth and cries of Californian doom rid your state of some of its millions of amateur real estate speculators, if only temporarily. I couldn't go to a coffee shop anywhere in Southern ca without catching the tail end of some horrible real estate pitch/scam, but at least now they're talking about dropping their cash turd there and not here.

Nothing warms your heart like listening to some Camarillo retired agent stroke his chin thoughtfully when asked, "Is Martha the next Austin?", and imagining him broke with a shopping cart full of poo poo at age 60.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 22, 2013

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Attempts to try and square Dallas and Houston with San Francisco and Los Angeles are sad and hilarious. They are not the same thing and cannot ever be, for hundreds of reasons that all boil down to: Texans.
Places where everyone apologizes for not living on a cattle ranch encounter immense difficulty ever being taken seriously as a city.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

redscare posted:

I can see an argument for having a waiting period for the first firearm, but if you already own one or have a concealed-carry permit, there's no logical reason to have another one.

There are enough hobbyists in the decent states to nickel and dime their gun laws to death if they so choose. They'll find many way-too-willing allies from the national culture wars. Better to suffer minor inconvenience and keep the statehouse clear for poo poo that matters.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
That ice cream sandwich place on Telegraph is pretty good. Pls don't ban for LAN.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
The gently caress? Is this just how business is done everywhere? If effort is better spent harassing competitors and abusing ADA legislation, by all means make a day of it? Or are small business owners just acutely reactionary, and believe God granted their forefathers two glass windows, an industrial freezer, and a cash register? Those who trespass on your divine right to scoop have what's coming to them.

Reagan really did a number on this place, clearly.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FRINGE posted:

I cant remember where I call the mental cut-off now, but theres a point going up the 101 where its suddenly "alright Im in the prison towns now" and its creepy. Gonzales, Soledad, then up to Salinas.

I feel like there's been a medium security penetentiary in or outside every California city I've ever visited.
Still, loving Louisiana. Jesus H. Christ. I was going to write some about California, but reading about Louisiana makes it difficult. Lest you ever, ever start thinking optimistically about the USA and its people, just read a bit more about the prison situation. It's got to be the preeminent crisis of our day, and it makes me ready to throw up.
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/05/louisiana_is_the_worlds_prison.html

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
It's kind of amazing how every single political idea coming out of the tech world is irredeemably awful. I'm just not sure I trust these people to design my mousepads any longer. Where did they go so loving wrong.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Central Valley looks pretty damned green from where I'm sitting (I am a satellite and they are not). Oxnard's harvest was positively bustling when I passed through, and it's an ag mite compared to San Joaquin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

withak posted:

Seconding this recommendation. If you are in CA and there is a way for you to subscribe for a month or whatever to get access to this article then definitely do it.

You can also get it on Kindle Store for a buck, like I did. It's quarter of a magazine for a quarter of the price!

• Locked thread