Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

withak posted:

To get to Oakland Airport from BART you have to take a bus from the nearest station (~10 minute ride). They are currently building an honest-to-god, boondoggle-scale elevated monorail to replace the bus. The monorail will cost more and probably take longer in total because it will drop off at a station in the middle of the airport parking lot a few hundred yards away from the terminals instead of at the terminal doors like the current bus does. But hey, the economy was down and spending money building whatever is conveniently at hand is surely better than spending money on planning, right?

Is this happening? Last I heard it was kind of stuck in purgatory and I can't find any recent articles about the status either way.

It's kind of a terrible idea from every practical point of view but I can see it making sense for the airport. The BART to SFO pulls straight into one of the airport terminals, and in Oakland you have to spend a couple of bucks for the shuttle bus that also takes you straight to the airport. I think they think that offering a nice, elevated monorail will alleviate the fear some people have of getting off BART in Oakland and taking a bus (which is about a 20 second walk once you get off the BART train) but it's a $500 million solution for something that isn't really a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Newsom's a politician robot pretending to be a man

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I think that high speed rail is an absolutely wonderful idea but I'm not sure we can predict what prices and security will be like in 20 years. I think it's possible, unfortunately, that the prices and the security will be comparable to airports.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

BART running all night would be awesome but yeah that's more up to legislators than the people on the ground.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I donno, they're open till 12:30 on weekends already. An extra 2 hours a night would probably be doable, and would really be a good thing for people who like to do any nightlife activities on the other side of the bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I've only heard "Well, I mean, they have the right to strike and all, but don't you think that's a lot of money for sitting in a toll booth?" and not much in support of the strikers at all.

• Locked thread