Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

I would go to town on Kamala Harris like a forest fire on Santa Barbara.

edit: agreed. Tex-Mex supremacy. Cal-Mex can take its beans and its dry-rear end tiny little tortillas and its no cheese and no steak and gently caress off back to Chihuahua or wherever it came from.

All Of The Dicks fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

New Mexico may have wet burritos, but in exchange we get red and green chili to smother our enchiladas and burritos and make Tex Mex taste like mild flavorless Northeastern food.

Also our sopaipillas with honey are unmatched by California and Texas. What are you going to do? Offer me some FLAN? Pfft!

New Mexico and Arizona should change places on the map. Because gently caress Arizona.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

Another interesting choice in LA rail design is the Green line, which runs down the center of the 105 freeway to LAX airport. Or rather, near LAX airport. It stops about 100 yards from the property but does not go in. You have to switch to a bus for the rest of the trip, despite the fact that there is literally a turn-off built into the track for an LAX connection. Mysteriously, nobody with the City can quite explain why this connection never got built. We're also building a north-south Train along Crenshaw that will come just as close to the airport, but also not enter. As far as I'm aware, LA is the only city in the US with a light rail system that doesn't connect it to the airport.

Oakland and Albuquerque also do this. Why, I do not know.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Can someone explain the purpose of San Diego?

Look at this poo poo. Why, yes, I would love some dry ground beef and cilantro on a corn tortilla the size of a quarter. That sounds loving fantastic. Give me a whole plate of them.

All Of The Dicks fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 28, 2013

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Revener posted:

I'm not sure why you're blaming SD when that's pretty much what you'll get if you order tacos anywhere in NW Mexico. SD is also the chief exporter of fun people into OC as well so you better step off, friend.

That is my point. Food from NW Mexico can suck it.

The San Diego question was supposed to be separate and open-ended. Explain that city to me so that I get it, I guess.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Shade2142 posted:

Can someone explain to me the allure of living in a trailer out in the California desert?

First, imagine you are crazy, addicted to meth and/or not allowed within 50,000 feet of a school or library.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A lot of people already do commute between those three cities. Furthermore, a lot of people in between visit those cities reasonably often. High-speed rail isn't just SF-LA, it's Sacramento, Stockton, San Francisco, San Jose, Fresno, Bakersfield, Palmdale, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Riverside, Irvine, and San Diego.

High-speed rail is more energy efficient, more comfortable than air travel, less sensitive to weather, and connects city centers rather than outlying airports.

This. The purpose of high-speed rail is to connect the huge population in the Valley to civilization. Fresno can't go on being Fresno forever.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

etalian posted:

Looks like people who depend on BART will be in for a miserable commute over the next few days:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57591713/san-fran-bay-area-transit-workers-go-on-strike/

So help me, when I am governor, I will crush the BART union like the rightwingest fascist motherfucker you have ever heard of and that goddamned train will run 24 hours a day and anyone that urinates on it will be used as brake pads.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

Holy poo poo...I've driven through Bakersfield a few times, it never LOOKED that dry.

loving PHOENIX gets 1/3 more precipitation than Bakersfield, and it's one of the drier parts of Arizona. (And since it is full of horrible monsters, they do more or less the same thing with all their water and the water they steal.)

Why are we complaining about Bakersfield using water? Mainly, what they do is irrigate the absurdly productive farmland that is there. Bakersfield is horrible in ways uncountable, but turning water into food is not one of them.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

BART union can have raises as soon as BART starts running past midnight.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Like, when I can use 'train' to do things past halfway through the night, you can use 'paycheck' to do things past the 15th of the month, is the bargain I am pursuing here.

edit: I do not believe the union has no control over that issue. The parties involved in the running of the transit system necessarilly have control over the running of it.

This is from a 2011 article, but it illustrates the relationship:

"Running trains year round with the proposed new hours would cost up to $1.2 million annually, BART officials said. But the cost would be less if an employee union sanctioned the use of part-time employees for the extra labor to stay open later, BART managers said.

Antonette Byrant, president of Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1555, said she saw no reason why the union would object."
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_17950450

All Of The Dicks fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 2, 2013

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

withak posted:

The main reason for the overnight shutdowns is that they don't have enough redundant track to do regular maintenance without shutting down. Staffing is a distant second.

I refuse to believe that. I truly believe that a train track can survive without maintenance long enough to get drunk people home on Saturday night.

In summary, I will continue to be a giant dick about anyone and anything involved with BART until someone involved makes it actually work. I do not care who. Until then, I will hate them all.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Quantum Mechanic posted:

It's a good thing you're an experienced transit engineer, then, otherwise holding an opinion on something you know nothing about would be really stupid

Indeed, verily it is obvious that it is only the recommendations of experienced transit engineers that require that the train shut down at precisely 12:29am every day including Saturday. There could not possibly be time for maintenance between bar closing and all the people BARTing it to church at 4:30am every Sunday morning.

However, this is irrelevant. I do not care what the reasons are, because my being an experienced transit engineer would not alter my ability to be home in my bed rather than sitting in a bus stop at 3 am. Make it happen. I do not care what your excuses are. Oh, you want my support? gently caress you.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

SirPablo posted:

Anyone following the (runoff) special election for state Senate between Vidak and Perez? Is out on vacation and when I got back I think half the mail was idiot fliers for it. TV and radio ads are getting comical as well. (Would be nice to see someone use the label liberal as a positive... Where are you Santos?)

I'm following it. Its in my area. High speed rail is bad, because government, but aqueduct projects are good, because farming.

Perez comes across a lot better in person than on TV. Vidak seems like one of those dudes who is a moron but thinks he is smart because he lives in an area with lots of morons and has money.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

You can get from the San Diego airport to the Gaslamp in ten minutes on the bus. It is fantastic. Unfortunately, you will be in the Gaslamp, so you will be in danger of paying $20 to hear songs by Pitbull.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

edit: I got that wrong.

Wow, does it go through Tehachapi and Lancaster? That's.. interesting.

All Of The Dicks fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 10, 2013

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It would cost a ton and to be honest, I think I would rather leave at least the coastal area around US 1 minimally developed.

You could fit the entire coastline of Massachusetts between Carmel and SLO. I look at that map and my head demands another major coastal city at, like, Lompoc or something.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

I don't think the Night Watch can guarantee the safety of the trains north of Marysville.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

I am guessing that people who run transit systems have sorted out how to apportion normal and express stops.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Tell me more about how thousands and thousands of people will have their property taken and their lives bent out of shape so that you can ride a train from SF to LA once or twice a year.

OK, see, this project that connects millions of people so that SF and LA aren't the only bits of California connected to civilization should happen. If some rich NIMBY whiners in Palo Alto or some conservative obstructionist fuckers in Tehachapi have to get the gently caress over it in the process, that is a bonus! RAHOWA and vive la revolucion, chooo chooooo!

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

CAHSR is not planned to share track with the freight line north of Los Angeles. It will have its own line, but that is one of the last bits, not to be completed until 2028.

Anyway, if they can sort out the eminent domain issues through San Jose, I have few doubts that right of way can also be had through Castaic and Hungry Valley.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

neurobasalmedium posted:

Why is it that it seems like politicians have a hard time with- NO TOUCHING!

Because politics is like being a rock star, but for old, ugly people.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

But compared to say Sacramento....

I read that Sacramento is the most racially integrated town in, like, anywhere.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Human beings are not a herd, though?

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

withak posted:

Fast-food employees are.

Perhaps we could minimize costs by keeping them in pens, and slaughtering them when they have outlived their usefulness.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Look, guys, if you aren't a special snowflake that stands out from the crowd and promotes synergy, you deserve to starve slowly. Do you think we can just have run-of-the-mill nobodies consuming adequate calories? They don't even engage in any creative destruction!

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Rah! posted:

Not in the Bay Area, Central Valley, or Salinas Valley/Monterey Bay Area. There are poo poo tons of Mexicans in those parts, and plenty of great Mexican restaurants/taquerias.

There are poo poo tons of gringos, too. That is no guarantee that a single one of them can cook decent gringo food.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Eh, I have not automatically thrown my support to gender-changing being an actual thing. However, if it annoys the culture warriors that much, I can get behind it.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

nm posted:

I suspect both sides would fight over not having Bakersfield.
Fresno gets you Yosemite, which is a fair trade. Bakersfield gets you very little (though apparently they just found shale oil).

Bakersfield gets you an absolute poo poo ton of oil and agriculture wealth. The problem is that all of it belongs to about 12 people, so the rest of the inhabitants look like Bartertown.

The SoCal-NorCal dividing line does not run East-West; it runs Northeast to Southwest, so something like Fresno to SLO, or Madera to the south end of Big Sur at probably like Cambria or San Simeon.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Tell me more about SLO vs Santa Maria regionalism. (I'm serious, I love this stuff)

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Paso Robles/Templeton/Atascadero/Morro Bay/Pismo are kinda redneck but are also pretty nice resort towns with vineyards/fancy food/nice hotels/fresh seafood/beaches to enjoy for people who live in Bakersfield and Fresno.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

undertool posted:

The only thing I really don't like about living in Paso Robles are the people who come here from Bakersfield and Fresno.

Everyone who lives off of tourism hates tourists. Allah (pbuh) has said it will be so.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

I get the impression that some of those angry about water sign dudes bought cheap farmland in the rain shadow of the coastal range, and are basically speculating on a water project that will raise the value of that land. How wrong am I?

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

I read that thing about the Resnicks and I can't even process it. It would take like some charts and stuff.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

It is a long, torturously slow motherfucking drive. Don't do it at night, the only purpose is the view.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

To drive like half the length of the continent on a very slow, twisty two-lane road, it will take some time, yes.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Probably there's other things south of Big Sur but I'm not familiar with that part of the coast.

Paso Robles/Avila Beach/Morro Bay/that whole area is a wine/food region

There are zen/hippie geothermal nekkid hot spring tubs at Esalen in Big Sure and Sycamore Springs in S.L.O.

Santa Barbara is rad for Mediterranean beach resort stuff and sightseeing 30million$ mansions

Ventura if you are into surfing

There's also seals along the coast and on the off-shore islands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Miss-Bomarc posted:

I *guess* you can say that the added jobs are "due to the technology sector". I mean, all those new-money millionaires need SOMEONE to mow their lawns and wrap their burritos.

So do the Wal-Mart owners in Arkansas, but I don't see how that is germane to the discussion?

• Locked thread