Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Man, it always gives me a good chuckle to see how rural areas think they're getting sucked dry by non-real-American moochers who just don't understand what the country really needs, but then they're subsidized by the big cities :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Once again I amazed by the blatant media bias on this. The only pro-strike quote in the whole piece is "so I kind of favor them." There are at least 10 anti-union quotes. Management gets 4x as many words as union leaders do, including explaining the management's bargaining position without any explanation of the union side. And of course they load the front of the article with opinions from random people and wait till the end to actually mention any facts.

I mean I know San Jose is conservative compared to San Francisco or Oakland, but this is still unenlightening coverage.

Man, I can just imagine people saying "WELL AT LEAST THE MEDIA IS TRYING TO BE FAIR BY INCLUDING THE UNION'S SIDE OF THE STORY, IF YOU JUST ASK ANYONE ON THE STREET THEY'LL SAY JUST FIRE ALL OF THE UNION PEOPLE :saddowns:".

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Xaris posted:

VVVV Well, "better schools for my kids" is mostly just dogwhistle for not wanting their precious white snowflakes to be in a classroom with some poor black kid and in part with made-up media moral panics at the time of crack/AIDs/blahblah. Touche Prop 13--it's true that most major cities public schools are pretty much on par with suburban ones with a race to the bottom, but they have the luxury having very good private schools so I suspect most people will just move up to Marin or Kensington or Orinda or something close to be 'burbish' but still close to SF for that reason.

Quite possibly, not even just "poor black or Latino kids"; my high school was ranked 36 in the nation in 2009, and it's over 80% Asian. It was still mostly white at the turn of the millennium and the proportion of white kids keeps falling.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

predicto posted:

Lowell, I presume.

Lowell is great, but there is only one Lowell, and (it can be argued that) the rest of the SF High Schools suffer from having all the best public school students in the City in that one school.

Be that as it may, parents wanting the best schools for their kids is not always simply a dogwhistle for not wanting your precious snowflakes to associate with blacks and poors. It is a genuine fundamental parental motivator for people of all races, and it isn't going to go away just by making fun of whitey soccer moms.

Nope, Mission San Jose High School, which isn't a charter school (and it serves what has historically been, and still is, the very richest part of Fremont).

Today it's about 85% Asian and less than 10% white, whereas twenty years ago it was almost 60% white. Most of the other high schools in Fremont have followed the same demographic trend we did, but are just five to ten years behind us.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 27, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

Fear is from LA? I guess "living in the city" made me think they were a New York band. I think he says he's from Philadelphia in that song. Learned something new...

I've always called sf "The City" from the day I arrived I was informed frisco or San Fran were to be avoided at all costs.

Everyone I know calls it San Fran (though for a disclaimer, I'm from the South Bay).

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

Anyone trying to get gun control legislation passed should just get a bunch of brown people to visit the Capitol with guns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUQIYLQ2rbk&t=9s

Works every time.

What, like with the Black Panthers and the Mulford Act and Reagan?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

FMguru posted:

FOOD GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS

OBAMA CREATED DUST BOWL in June 2013 on my way back to Fremont from Irvine, I was wondering when they'd finally start blaming THE EVIL NOBONGOMER.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

etalian posted:

It also has another important export the rest of the country enjoys especially the conservative states.

A multibillion dollar industry at that :pervert:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

FMguru posted:

FOOD GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS

END THE POLITICIAN-CREATED DUST BOWL

Goddamn hippie environmentalists :bahgawd:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Kenning posted:

IF <state representative> HAS THEIR WAY
ALL YOUR WATER GOES TO LA

All the signs I saw on my last drive through I-5 actually tried to lump LA and SD in with the valley; "WELCOME TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, RESTRICTED WATER DELIVERY ZONE, KINGS AND KERN COUNTIES AND LOS ANGELES AND SAN DIEGO" and "PROTECT THE VALLEY AND LA AND SD." A lot of SoCal draws its water from the Colorado, instead, though, doesn't it?

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 31, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I haven't heard much of Jerry Brown's new state budget besides "What a true leader!" or "He's going to pay off our debt!".

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

WampaLord posted:

But...but all those politicians kept saying that all the businesses were leaving California to go to Texas!

The whole "everyone's leaving CA in droves" meme angers me greatly for some reason. I think just because I love it here so much that the idea that anyone would leave this state is completely alien to me. Also because it's not true in the slightest.

ETA: Hahaha, from the same article at the end:

:fut: "literally get a U-haul"

Well I think we had quite a bit of domestic migration out of the state during the 2000s (read: before Brown's election and the Democratic supermajorities).

It's like Republicans' perceptions of California are stuck in the last decade, although you'll always get some businessman whinging about how "it's sooooooooo expensive to do business now, I think I'll head to Texas :qq:"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

WampaLord posted:

That makes sense, I moved here in 2011, so I haven't seen any sort of mass migration happening but Republicans keep acting like it never stopped or even worse, they're acting like it's picking up speed.

It also makes a lot of sense that their information is outdated and that they refuse to acknowledge reality, but that's the :gop: for ya.

Well, the GOP wouldn't be the GOP if they weren't stuck in the past and if they didn't think that conservatism can't fail, it can only be failed, and that California is rotting because it turned Democratic :v:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

A lot of my UCSB friends really like Solvang (a little Danish town north of Santa Barbara and then east on 246, on another note.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Some of my shittier acquaintances are already saying "LOL THE DELTA SMELT AMIRITE :smuggo: "

edit: after reading Oligarch Valley, does anyone have any sources on the "Latino Water Coalition" astroturf group, which apparently is on ice according to the book?

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 18, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I enjoyed walking through Little Tokyo and eating myself sick, but I dunno if that's something most LA people do.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Yes we should definitely let endangered fish species go extinct in order for the four or five major corporate farms in socal to have a marginally better crop of oranges.

And to have even more water to sell to SoCal cities at gently caress off prices.

Seriously, how many people actually know anything about the Vinovich and Resnik and Boswell and whatever other families owning the water rights and land in the valley?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I remember last time I was in Monterey, the Fisherman's Wharf had posters saying "BOYCOTT SEA WORLD, THEY ENGAGE IN ANIMAL SLAVERY."

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Wait, do they still actually sell fish there? Thought it was basically a tourist trap now.

I was under the impression that they stopped fishing in Monterey ages ago. But yeah, it's basically a bunch of overpriced Italian seafood restaurants.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Well, actually having a functional government and budget surplus was nice while it lasted, thanks for cocking it up Yee and co. :shepicide:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

I mean, there's already another State Senator already convicted of felonies that's still serving, so Yee might last for a long while.

I meant, our supermajority is toast this fall, right?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Chinatown posted:

As a San Diegan that is loving offensive to be lumped in with Irvine. Hey bruh lets go to the Spectrum and ride the ferris wheel and look at the freeways and tract housing.

As a UCI student without a car (so basically I'm stuck here), I'm pretty much bored to death on the weekends.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

So here's Jerry's logs at Celebrate UCI:

There's a Young Americans for Liberty booth saying "THE ONLY WAY TO GET REAL CHANGE IS THROUGH R:evil:UTION"
there's also a booth saying "SAVE CALIFORNIA, GOT LIBERTY? TIM DONNELLY FOR GOVERNOR" :laffo:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I remember last time my dad and I were driving down to Irvine around 5, it took until like 7:30 to actually make it to Orange County. It was just a really slow crawl down I-5 :shepicide:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Is there anywhere I can find Dulce de Leche around Irvine or the Bay Area? I found some at Wholesome Choice in Irvine, but it's chocolate and $8.49 a jar.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Ah, thanks.

My Argentine buddy told me that it's tough to get it "juuuuuuuuuust right," and that his family usually just buys theirs from the store. Guess I'll try that recipe out.

...this really is a lovely place to not have a car.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 20, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

So some guy just approached me at my table asking me to sign a petition to split California into six states. They're really going forward with that braindead plan, aren't they?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

"Going forward with" in the sense that they're trying to get signatures, yes. I'd be amazed if they got enough to get it on a ballot, and if they did, it would fail spectacularly.

I just hope they don't dupe enough college kids to get it on the ballot in the first place, anyway. After I told him to sod off he went at a girl near me pretty aggressively.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Just to jog my memory, this proposition originated from Tom "Criticizing the 1% is JUST LIKE KRISTALLNACHT" Perkins, right?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

We get food trucks every Friday near City Hall in Fremont. Shame they're not too interesting, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

nm posted:

Theres a reason for the saying the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco. Hot it ain't.

Now it feels like the warmest summer I've ever spent was a winter in Irvine.

• Locked thread