Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pellisworth posted:

The problem is that it doesn't actually go anywhere and specifically doesn't serve the western half of Los Angeles at all.
That's not so much a problem as much as it is the NiMBY-tards lobbying that they didn't want the construction hassle of the Red Line (subway) to drop their property values when the drat thing was being tunneled in the early 90s. The city rolled over on them and we've had a neutered subway system since.

quote:

There was a ballot initiative last fall for a half-cent sales tax increase to accelerate the planned extensions to the LA Metro, but it failed 66.11% to 33.89%. Yes, failed. Because in CA it takes a 2/3 majority to raise taxes for anything ever :smith:
This was following the problematic service / schedule changes that collapsed a few bus routes last year. A lot of people felt that they couldn't give Metro more money if they were going to neglect the city's bus system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

redscare posted:

The city also has a large population of poor people that are dependent on government benefits, a notoriously bad school system, and as already mentioned, a crumbling infrastructure.

That school system view is a holdover from the 90s, when roughly 5,000 students were being sardined into schools built for a max capacity of 2,200.

Since then, there's been an amazing public works buildout of community schools, bussing has all but been eliminated, schools are more focused towards providing small learning communities, and all but a handful of schools have transitioned to a traditional (10 months + summer break) schedule in place of a year round (track-based) schedule.

But thanks to prop 13, most of the urban schools still face funding problems. And these happen to be the schools that receive heavy ESL/Special Ed. students. If you think that the testing people make any exceptions for the fact that they either have a learning disability, or they've been in the country for 3 months, when they take their standardized tests, you'd be wrong!

Consequently, these are also students that are most likely to depend on the LA Metro for their travel needs!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think we can all agree that the California Burrito is an abomination to all nations, creeds, and religions, made only to appease whitebread OC bastards. (Seriously, fries in a burrito?)

Thankfully, Carne Asada Fries make up for it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Glass of Milk posted:

San Diego is LA if the people in LA didn't want LA to be like LA.

No no no no no. SD is LA, if LA had a bunch of if a bunch of military folks and conservatives loving around in the Valley, if ethnic/cultural enclaves were more removed and less contiguous, if 20 cars in your peripheral vision on the 5/101/10 were considered "heavy traffic", and if there were slightly more hippies and beach bums.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kyrie eleison posted:

Unions are out of touch and out of date. Their strike is making a fool out of them in front of everyone. They think they can get the public to side with them by pissing them off. It will destroy their credibility forever

While I don't disagree with the Union's ability to strike, or the reasoning behind it, it strikes me as kind of right to say that they're out of date.

Seems like strikes were more effective when the populace was generally able to accept the argument that workers agitating for better pay/rights/etc was a noble effort. Since most workers nowadays are of the "Why the gently caress do YOU get paid better/have more benefits/work less than I do?" mentality, what approach (if any) could a union take to seem less like they're out to screw everyone else?

Or maybe the problem lies with the idea that people have grown up believing that anything the unions fight for is greedy (while employers/companies are benevolent in their actions)?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Last I heard, there was talk of a Vegas/CA high speed that would basically dump people in the vicinity of Disneyland in Anaheim. They're stopping at Victorville now?

Wow. That's impressively bad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I love looking up home prices in Los Angeles.

$135,000 in 1995 for a 2bed, 1.5 bath?
Oh look, its $590,000 now!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Looks like SanFran should fly in some Japanese architects. Those homes look like Japanese concepts.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

etalian posted:

Well a pile of cities are taking a serious look at improving their downtown areas and also working on issues such increasing mass transit coverage.
Unfortunately, "improving" downtown means turning it into a yuppie whitewashed paradise, evicting the low-income tenants, and not really doing anything to provide basic services for Skid Row, which is like a 10 minute walk from the glitz of that new Downtown Park/trendy Osteria.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dusseldorf posted:

I made the double Reagan library - Nixon library in one day exodus a few years ago. It was a pretty good goddamn socal day -- Republicans and traffic. That said the places really mirror the presidents, Reagan library is a fantasitc building in a really pretty location with no substance whatsoever inside. The Nixon library is rather austere and has a good bunch of history about Nixon's life and presidency.
For some reason, there's a Lincoln exhibit that's taking place in the Reagan library at the moment. Props from the Spielberg movie.

It's a rather odd pairing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JeffersonClay posted:

now Villaraigosa is selling out his hometown to provide cover for a predatory pyramid scheme that targets low-information Latinos in desperate financial conditions. Choke on a dick Antonio.

I heard he was a clerk at a bank. It's nice to know he's got no political capitol to burn. If he's a step removed from a Kardashian shill, I at least don't have to worry that his useless rear end will try and metastasize across the state/federal government.

Anyone ever check to see how his schools ended up doing? Anyone remember those?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gygaxian posted:

So apparently in San Diego you guys have a part Native Alaskan, part Filipino, part Puerto Rican interim mayor who is also openly gay? And, according to Roll Call, he may replace his mentor in the 53rd Congressional District?

Why don't you share that political good fortune with the rest of the states, especially us red-staters?

That only happened because their former mayor was such an inordinate scumbag that his actions were inexcusable for San Diegans. And san diegans have had some corrupt motherfuckers.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This reminds me of when Hollywood attempted to secede from Los Angeles*

*(they would require use of LA's municipal services for at least 10 years if it were successful).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Casual Yogurt posted:

Was that the same for the valley when they both tried to secede in the early 2000s? Would they just have contracted LAPD/LAFD and DWP?
Yep! That's the other city that tried to loose the yolk of los Angeles.

Which is kind of ... um... get your own city infrastructure if you're that desperate to break free, no?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

FYI he wasn't a chief for the entire 40 year. He became a fireman right out of high school and worked his way up the ladder (no pun intended).
It used to be that people dreamed of poo poo like that. You know, being part of a company/building a career of service for essentially a lifetime, then being paid for your investment with a nice retirement. It was also a way for people that couldn't afford a college career to be assured that they wouldn't be relegated to crushing poverty once their bodies were wrung out and used up.

14K a month is certainly a lot of money. It's certainly something I'm envious of. But for someone that's worked for the public good for 40 years? I'm more comfortable with that than, say, some banker or CEO making that after 2-5 years on the job. So I don't begrudge the guy his money.

Whether he realizes how incredibly fortunate that is, and how unlikely someone from this generation will ever experience that... well that's something else, aint it?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FogHelmut posted:

Everything is getting all Santa Ana around here.
That's more San Fernando.

Now if the guy had been flying the proud colors of the Raider Nation, then you'd be on to something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
For reference, the new All Inclusive apartment communities being built around the city are amazingly expensive for the areas they're coming up in.

All Inclusive is basically code for 'The neighborhood will get really gentrified in a few years, but until then you can use our pool/Dog walk/Rooftop Patio/Screening Room/Clubhouse/Gym and concierge services so you don't have to deal with the brownspoors locals.'

I've seen a 512 sq/ft studio brushing the cusp of downtown start at $2,100. But that's apparently the price you pay for being in the LA Metro area and not having to use the freeways to commute to work, or having the ability to jaunt down to Downtown, Little Tokyo, Silver Lake or the Westside without planning around traffic.

There used to be a ton of affordable, shabby 1/1 apartments built for Hollywood crew, with names like the Villa Capri, but they're getting torn down for newer construction or being 'converted' to Condos.

Young professionals that can't afford a Tesla usually try and stick it out renting for a bit, then move out to the sub/exburbs because an hour commute is a decent trade-off to being able to afford an ok place. That's usually like Montebello or The Valley.

East LA is becoming more gentrified, but sections of it are old construction built at a time when cars weren't everywhere so the residential areas are usually winding and can barely accommodate one car. You're sometimes turbofucked if you meet traffic going the opposite way.

South LA has sections that are coming up (Hawthorne) but Compton still has the 'urban' feel to it.

My suggestion: try Long Beach, San Pedro, or Carson, so that you can still feel like you're 'in LA' without having to sell blood to make the rent.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

punk rebel ecks posted:

While I'm fine with driving, I'm not sure of the idea of having to commute 30 minutes to everywhere.
Ok. Can you find things to do within a 15 minute drive of where you live? Probably. Will you eventually need to get out of your bubble for something (beach trip, sightseeing, shows, parks, etc). Yes. At which point a 30 minute drive is really nothing at all in the city.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So basically L.A. by and large is expensive, mostly due to housing. However, there are a few areas to look at that are affordable or at least reasonable. Are there any other So Cal cities to look at?
San Diego wasn't bad last I knew. It's kind of a sprawl, but traffic isn't as bad as L.A. for the most part.
It's a lot more conservative than LA due to the major armed forces bases there, so keep that in mind.

quote:

Is there anything to say about North California or Central California?
Central is all things like Hemet and Bakersfield. Places where people from the other ends of the state consider fly-over country. You'll also see a lot of OBAMA/PELOSI WATER CRISIS conservatives.

NorCal is a bit more varied. You have the Weedzone up around Humboldt, places that are amazingly beautiful (Monterey Bay), state Gov in Sacramento, and the San Fran gridlock zone stretching from San Jose to wine country. Once you get to Crescent City, you're basically in the Pacific NW/Oregon in terms of attitudes.

quote:

I know for a fact that this question is going to get mocked but why don't they just like...build another highway?
They expand highways now and again. Most recently the 405 added a few lanes. But demand is so high that it hits capacity just as fast, so you're moving more cars but not really affecting the traffic.

If you mean actually building new freeway connectors, there's a shitload of red tape (environmental impact to the residents along the new line, Cal Air impact) and issues where you're essentially going to bulldoze whole communities to allow construction to go forward. Pretty much any new freeway route of use would have to go through a community, because the issue with LA traffic is that there are about half a dozen arteries that get you from one side of the city to the other, and everyone goes through them. You also have to deal with regional geography (like the foothills/Hollywood hills).

If you look at a map and, say, want to relieve the 101/i5/405 traffic, then you better be happy tearing through Panorama City, Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks, the West Hollywood Hills (good luck having them sign off on something that wrecks their views of Mulholland), the Melrose/Sunset districts and most of Midtown. That would probably be the most expensive 15 miles in the nation.

Actually if you look up at the map posted above, you'll see an example of a stalled expansion. The 710 kind of breaks off suddenly in South Pasadena? It's supposed to connect to the 210. People have been wanting that poo poo finished, but the politics (and housing buy outs) around it are stalling everything.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 24, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Speedboat Jones posted:

now finally we ended up buying a house in Lancaster. Antelope Valley is fast becoming "that place in LA County you have to move to when you can't afford LA anymore." It's not that bad, but I do miss the beach in VC and the super-quick access to LA in Santa Clarita.
Yeah, Lancaster/Palmdale are basically the "We can afford a home here" destinations for anyone crazy enough to attempt to buy a home in LA county. You pay out the ears for it in commute, but your nice sized home/plot of land is way better than the 2/1.5 you "might* be able to afford in the LA metro area.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A break from traffic-chat to note that a guy running for LA City Council district 1 managed to pick a worse place than Reddit to frequent.

Remember when all the pedos were kicked out of 4chan and went on to build their own cesspool? Yeahhhhh.

//I just realized the old goon mantra of "I can't ever get into public office because the headline will read 'City Attorney posted on web form: gently caress You and Die'" is coming true.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 27, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In L.A., one of the police bigwigs is really, really against legalized pot (to the point where I believe he said something like no compelling medical reason to legalize it). Understandably this leads to a lot of examination of providers under the lens of " too close to a school".

So at the very least I hope they're finding ways to minimize that being a huge critique.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My old townhouse only had central heating, so we bought a portable unit and set it up in the living room. We suffered through a tower fan blowing hot air everywhere in the bedroom, since the walls pretty much radiated heat until 2-3 am during summer.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm partial to Santa Barbara or Solvang. If you go by the coast on the return trip you can hit up some nice seaside restaurants.

Oceanside isn't too bad either, if you hit up the Pizza Port or another local eatery

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

nm posted:

This strikes me as something that is solved by moving the gently caress out of south orange county.
Or, if youre at Dana Point, then just go the extra mile and trek into Oceanside.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Perhaps but you would presumably have to interact with people from Dana Point eventually.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Find someplace in the valley along the path of the 405.

You'll take an hour and a half to get home from work, but youll be able to afford something bigger than a shoebox.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, there are stretches of highway where it becomes WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU ASSHOLES because traffic piles up for no reason or you have a 6 lane that collapses into a 4 lane that also has 20 feet for the merging lane to complete their entry which also has a split to one of the other popular freeways happening.

You'll get these dumb clogs that just run through for no other reason than hundreds if not thousands of people use it to get home/to work. So, like, the 101 will be slow near downtown, pick up a bit around mid city, then just crawl from the Hollywood Bowl through Universal city. The 5 will hitch around Burbank, then from Griffith Park through Downtown (actually more like through the Citadel Outlets). If the 405 doesnt bore you, then the insane drivers will try to murder you.

It's kind of unbelievable in the same way that people hear 'ComicCon sold out in an hour' and they can't comprehend the depths of unimaginable shittyness that the whole process begets.,

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Beverly Connection isnt bad now, though, and it wasnt terrible in the 90s thanks to its movie theatre.

It has a Target, Souplantation and a coffee place now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

el dorito posted:

you are not convincing anyone with those stores

why not mention a sears or jc penney while you're at it
The gem is really the TimeWarner/Spectrum Cable branch. You can drop off your defective cable box while getting lunch!

It also has a Ralphs attached to it, like a conjoined twin.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

woodenchicken posted:

Some online guides recommend renting a car, but you guys are making it seem like a terrible idea? How hosed am I if I just want to drive to some touristy places during the day and avoid rush hours?
You'd likely be more hosed without the car, unless you're staying in, like, Downtown and have access to the rail/subway lines to hit Universal, Hollywood, Anaheim, or SD county (via metrolink or amtrak).

The car will let you do poo poo like go to the beach, walk around Santa Monica, visit UCLA and grab some Diddy Riese ice cream cookie sandwiches , then go to dinner somewhere or go to LACMA without having to take 6 busses. Without it, you're confined to the touristy hub you hit more or less.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

nm posted:

Driving is the worst except for all the other options.

Word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just got rhe utilities bill for the last 2 months. I dunno, $400 seems reasonable to not feel lile I'm in an oven all night right fellas?

• Locked thread