Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Business Insider has a hard hitting story on California:

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/california-sayings-2013-12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Really, California isn't 2 states, it is like 6 or 7 of them.
Well yeah, youre not going to get unity between 35mill+ people scattered in different climates and economies.

Pretty sure everyone agrees on: WEEEEEEST SIDE! and gently caress TEXAS! though. :v:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

All Of The Dicks posted:

Tell me more about SLO vs Santa Maria regionalism. (I'm serious, I love this stuff)
SLO is a built up suburb of SB. Once The Great Burbing finishes they will be joined before The Great Southern Megalopolis of The Angels is complete.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

Where do the towns north of slo on 101 fit in? Atascadero and paso Robles seemed pretty redneck to me. Do they belong to the valley?
I cant remember where I call the mental cut-off now, but theres a point going up the 101 where its suddenly "alright Im in the prison towns now" and its creepy. Gonzales, Soledad, then up to Salinas.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

Where do the towns north of slo on 101 fit in? Atascadero and paso Robles seemed pretty redneck to me. Do they belong to the valley?
There is only one "The Valley" and anyone named "Ron Jeremy" should know this. :colbert:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

agarjogger posted:

I feel like there's been a medium security penetentiary in or outside every California city I've ever visited.
Still, loving Louisiana. Jesus H. Christ. I was going to write some about California, but reading about Louisiana makes it difficult. Lest you ever, ever start thinking optimistically about the USA and its people, just read a bit more about the prison situation. It's got to be the preeminent crisis of our day, and it makes me ready to throw up.
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/05/louisiana_is_the_worlds_prison.html
Im pretty sure "Turned Out" was set in Louisiana. Dont feel like watching it enough to double check though tonight. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p1zgtEyDd0

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
A viral marketing jackass who is "an advocate for entrepreneurs and free markets" wants to manipulate his way into having his own State?

Shocking.

He dropped 24 million to try and force public money to be given to private schools. He seems pretty awesome.
http://ballotpedia.org/Timothy_C._Draper
http://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_38,_School_Vouchers_%282000%29

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Hog Obituary posted:

Orange county is in a different state from LA County.
Any realistic map would have a guarded barrier built around OC. :madmax:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

agarjogger posted:

It's kind of amazing how every single political idea coming out of the tech world is irredeemably awful. I'm just not sure I trust these people to design my mousepads any longer. Where did they go so loving wrong.
"I made money in a tech bubble therefore all poor people are lazy" combined with living in an actual social bubble makes people into "libertarians" and other kinds of "i am my own island" assholes pretty quickly.

Just beat their rear end and steal their poo poo then they suddenly like police and taxes again.

Also right wing CRAZY people write good stories sometimes. (This can help with making money in marketing and games .. like that idiot Draper.) Enders Game was a good story. 300 and Sin City were good stories. They were all crafted in the brain of an unbalanced right wing loon. When they write fiction its great! When they think their brains are good for understanding reality... not so great.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Miss-Bomarc posted:

It's really surprising to read the original short story of "Ender's Game" and realize how much of the book is complete bullshit that exists only to set up a backstory for "Speaker For The Dead".
I liked the three that followed Enders Game personally. They showed some effort at examining some social and psychological issues that were worth the story when I was younger.

OSC apparently hates the hippy bullshit he wrote though. (I have a memory(?) of him not liking some of the more thoughtful messages from the three following EG, but the internet is awash in stuff from the movie and OMG homophobe (rightly AFAIK) and I cant find it.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Also his oldest novels he had editors who insisted on changing things. I read a novel OSC published which contained a giant novella that was basically him bitching about how heavy-handed editors had hosed this old story too much and now he finally had the power to publish his own version and it was way better for that, and probably everyone who messed with his stories was just anti-mormon bigots.
Was it that AMERICA RAWR KILL ALL TRAITOR LIBS thing?

I have never met anyone that admitted to actually reading that. Kind of like Coulters "Treason".

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

During the school year I mostly read novels instead of doing homework. This was before the Web
Same. I got so much more "real" reading done before I broke down and joined the internetati.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

After Fukushima, it's going to be politically next to impossible to build nuclear power plants in California, what with our fault lines. Which is dumb, because Fukushima was hosed by a tsunami and it should be easy enough to avoid such a danger, but there you go.

Also there's the matter of the radioactive waste and where to put it... heeeeyyy, I just figured out what to do with Fresno!
Just hope they actually up-fund LFTR ASAP.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

All Of The Dicks posted:

I read that thing about the Resnicks and I can't even process it. It would take like some charts and stuff.

What more is there to know than

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Huh. I just read all about that and it's really interesting.
The google talk compression(s) is/are pretty good also:

LFTRs in 5 minutes - Thorium Reactors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK367T7h6ZY

Thorium Remix 2009 - LFTR in 25 Minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHdRJqi__Z8

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Rudager posted:

Also, any suggestions in for what to do general would be great, I've looked through the thread but there doesn't seem to be much but about where not to go.
Santa Monica Promenade and beach if youve never been there. Short-medium drive north to see Malibu (Malibu is long). (VERY) short drive south for Venice and Marina Del Rey.

Sant Diego Zoo/Wild Animal Park (thats two places) 1-3 hours south depending on traffic. (All time in LA is "depending on traffic".)

In LA... GET A CAR. On the upside car rentals in LA are very cheap on a lucky week. Try hotwire for cross-comparison of rates then once you get to the place press them for AAA discounts or whatever you can come up with. Ive seen LA car rental rates down to 1/4 of some parts of the rest of the State.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
For the SF area (if youre going to explore outside of the bay area at all) the drive down to Santa Cruz will put you in the middle of some amazing Redwood areas. (Look up Ben Lommond and Boulder Creek, particularly Big Basin State Park.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, I think I was kinda excluding time spent in ... LA traffic

Yeah never do this to a poor foreigner. :v:

Stop in Monterey for white sand beaches, and Santa Cruz for cliff/cove beaches.

e: beaten

Dont stop in Salinas, thats a mean joke.

The 1 looks best between Ventura and Santa Barbara counties, and then again from Big Sur to SC. Make sure and drive through Moss Landing on the way into SC.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

If you do drive up the PCH there's a stretch of the PCH that isn't actually on the Coast, the part that goes through Oxnard ... We also house ...
Lol. The Colonia Chiques.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Keyser S0ze posted:

those idiotic basketball hoops (also against CC&R's) are set up every 10 feet in the middle of the streets
I hate that poo poo. For a while I lved somewhere that echoes really bad (from the street/buildings) and listening to that CEASELESS loving ball(s) made it impossible to work/relax at home. That, home-band-practice, leaf-blowers, and untrained constantly barking dogs should all meet the axe. :black101:

There will be silence! Oh yes... there will be silence...

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Do NOT go to Tijuana.
This.

If this is a pleasure trip (and not a comedy-trainwreck/risk-tourism trip) its probably not worth it.

Breaking Bad is a cool show, not so great in real life. :v:

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 4, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Miss-Bomarc posted:

According to the State of California, homeless people are now pollution.
Well, according to this charming fellow anyway:

quote:

Jones -- a retired 22-year veteran of the San Jose Police Department
I am sure water is the very top of his lifelong concerns list!

OTOH its a legit issue, its the tone they are addressing it with that is the problem.

quote:

"Basically what it comes down to," said Fish and Wildlife Lt. Byron Jones, who filed the complaint Wednesday with the San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board, "is they accept the encampments, they feel no sense of urgency to remove them, nor have they ever. It's always been about the next cleanup. It's never been about ending the practice of illegally camping and being in proximity to water."

So the urgency should be "remove them" not "house them". Well said ex-cop!

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 21, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm glad to hear you've learned how to make trash and human waste no longer pollute waterways.
Oh?

quote:

OTOH its a legit issue, its the tone they are addressing it with that is the problem.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Luckily for the rest of us California is: A)Enormous
That is such a huge deal. Its easy to purchase laws (and lawmakers) in North Dakota (and use them as "success" stories), but CA is is just too expensive to manage that way. (Thank god.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

LA is a ... town full of ... people
Edited for truth!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Reminder to people moving to LA: the LAPD is (in)famous for a reason. Your every interaction with them could be your last and its something you need to fully understand before you interact (carefully) with them.

https://www.tytnetwork.com/2014/04/11/cops-shoot-kill-daniel-tosh-staff-member/

quote:

“Monday night, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department mistakenly shot and killed a production assistant for Tosh.0 after mistaking the 30-year-old for a stabbing suspect.

According to the Los Angeles Times, John Winkler went to a neighbor’s apartment Monday night to try to help three people who were being held captive at knife point. Responding police shot Winkler when he ran from the apartment with one of the victims.

Winkler was shot once and died later that night at a local hospital.”

They killed the hero, and unloaded towards a house full of victims. (Three of them started firing, and only managed to put one bullet in the intended target at close range.)

This is not that uncommon (it just happens that this time the victim was attached to someone famous so its news). Like that old meme goes treat them like rabid animals and interact with them cautiously and at a distance, and hopefully not in the direction they are "aiming".

quote:

"It's just a really sad story," he told the Times, adding: "He basically went to help some neighbors and ends up getting shot."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sheriff-admits-mistakenly-killing-tv-producer-in-west-hollywood-20140410,0,1972682.story

quote:

The Sheriff’s Department’s initial news release the day after the shooting made no mention of the mistaken identity and said the two people shot had “aggressed the deputies.”

I know this will turn into a white-knight invasion from another subforum, so I will not post about it again, but this is actually something to think about if youre moving into the LA area. The police here are very dangerous and very much immune to repercussions. Interact with them when you need to, but never forget this.

edit:

From last year: Watering your lawn in a non-submissive way can get you killed (without warning) as well.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr/04/local/la-me-ln-water-nozzle-shooting-20130404

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 12, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

FCKGW posted:

will cause
Since I didnt say that, its not really a relevant question.

They should be treating as local dangers though. *Use as needed.

*Use at own risk.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

Everyone I've ever met who has lived in LA was not murdered by the police, explain that one señor safety.
Defeated. :negative:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Also if you've never lived somewhere with ridiculously bad traffic before, hoo boy are you in for a treat.
Ive given up trying to explain this. People have to experience it.

"The map says if we just run down Pico its a pretty short trip!"

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Xaris posted:

But LA is almost marvelous in how bad traffic is. It can be like 11 PM at night and you'll get into traffic in an 8 lane freeway for no apparent reason.
Literally true, and still no one believes it until they are locked on the 101 or 405 at midnight.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
I didnt even know Fuddruckers existed anymore.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

LA/OC is a Verizon town.
Yeah its actually pretty noticeable. (Or at least it was.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littlerock,_California
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10741-E-R-14-Ave-Littlerock-CA-93543/2105880855_zpid/

OR!

Twinkie Fat Sac posted:

good nightlife, jobs, just general cool stuff?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1630-Clay-St-APT-4-San-Francisco-CA-94109/2106279003_zpid/

Pick.

Trabisnikof posted:

Don't say Fresno, say Fres-yes!
:what:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

What's the deal with one-way car rent?
Those are always a rip-off. It sucks.

Hopefully someday Zipcar and things like that will be nation-wide.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Beans are wasted space. More meat and rice can go where those beans were.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Papercut posted:

Driving in SF is not a big deal at all if you've ever driven in a city. The lanes aren't all 85 feet wide like in the burbs but the drivers aren't complete assholes like on the East Coast and all of the one-way streets actually make things much simpler.
If youre not used to collections of (sometimes arbitrary ) one way streets it can be very hard to get to where youre going. Especially with:

Leperflesh posted:

Driving when you're unfamiliar with where you are or where you're going sucks, because signage is poor, there's a lot of double-parking (and as someone else mentioned, construction) that forces you into lanes that are suddenly going where you don't want to go, and in addition to paying attention to signs and other drivers you also have to pay attention to a lot of people just blatantly jaywalking, crossing against lights, wandering aimlessly into the streets, etc. If you're also trying to find a place to park while doing all that, it can get pretty hairy.

I would say SF is worse than LA or Seattle. Even though LA eats up way more time.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

nm posted:

Trick question. It comes from a truck in Oakland.
I first read that as "Oxnard" and I was impressed with your courage in eating from a truck in Oxnard.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Kenning posted:

in California
Chu mean Califas ese?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
In case anyone in SoCal didnt know about this...

http://mashable.com/2015/12/24/methane-gas-leak-california-aliso/#2mZSCvvR.653

quote:

A massive natural gas leak in Aliso Canyon, California, about 25 miles north of Los Angeles, has been spewing about 62 million standard cubic feet of methane per day into the air since a well casing mysteriously suffered damage on Oct. 23 of this year.

The leak is unlikely to be squelched for another three to four months, according to SoCalGas, as crews have to drill about 8,500 underground to intersect with the base of the leaking pipe.

Already, more than 1,000 people in Porter Ranch and Northridge, California have temporarily relocated due to health complaints related to the fumes from the leak. In addition, the Los Angeles Unified School District's Board of Education decided on Dec. 17 to temporarily relocate two schools for the rest of the 2015-16 school year.

Equivalent to "8 or 9 coal plants"

The climate implications of this particular leak are significant, especially since the leak is in California, which has some of the most stringent greenhouse gas emissions reduction plans in the world.

The main component of natural gas is methane, which can have up to 80 times the warming power of carbon dioxide for the first 20 years after it is released, before it begins to be removed from the atmosphere through natural processes.

For scale: "The leak has increased the state's greenhouse gas emissions from methane by 25%"

Also same old energy/mining companies:

quote:

Companies are being pushed to contain leaks in their natural gas pipelines and at facilities that burn natural gas, but underground storage areas, of which there are more than 300 nationwide, aren't subjected to specific standards that might have prevented this leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Speedboat Jones posted:

How far does this leak reach? I'm pretty close by in Santa Clarita.
I havent seen any pretty maps that are definite. Yay for invisible gas mining.

http://www.porterranchlawsuit.com/porter-ranch-gas-leak-map/

quote:

Porter Ranch Gas Leak Map

This map depicts the locations of high levels of methane gas from the SoCalGas well in Aliso Canyon. As the gas escapes the well into the atmosphere, it flows downhill on the path of least resistance. The directionality of the flow is also affected by wind patterns and air pressure

http://la.curbed.com/tags/the-public-health

http://www.wdsu.com/national/porter-ranch-gas-leak-state-of-emergency-in-ca/37310132

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-socal-gas-lawsuit-porter-ranch-gas-leak-20160126-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-me-porter-ranch-greenhouse-20160124-story.html

quote:

1-24-16

If there is any good news, it is that they show the leak rate has been declining since its peak on Nov. 28, when the well released 58,000 kilograms of methane per hour. By Thursday the rate had dropped by two-thirds to 18,400 kilograms per hour.

As a result, she said, the reservoir has gone from being 90% full before the leak to at most 37% full on Jan. 10.

The utility does not have an estimate of the amount of gas released :rolleyes: and says it cannot complete one until after the leak has stopped.

• Locked thread