Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I listen to a radio station in Los Angeles because my local station, KYNS, dropped The Stephanie Miller Show. Every now and then they have a commercial where whatever business is "just off the I-10" and I want to punch whatever out-of-state agency did it. It's like somebody burst into the recording booth and said, "Wait! Add 'the' before the freeway!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My specific problem with that commercial is that it says both "the" and "I" instead of just "the 10."

Edit: Then the traffic reports on that station say stuff like "the 10 Santa Monica Freeway." Also it has fake helicopter noise in the background that doesn't last long enough and fades out before the guy is done talking.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Quick summary of the problems at Diablo:

Diablo: "Hey everybody we need to do seismic testing. It's going to piss off and possibly harm the marine animals in the area, but the alternative is we have less data about how the plant will react to an earthquake."
Public: "NO DON'T"
Diablo: "Ugh fine."
Public: "WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE SEISMIC TESTING"
Diablo: "gently caress you idiots. Have another siren test."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqFWup1w9SY

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
During the debate on the seismic testing, the opponents had valid points, but expressed them in a way that made me entirely unsympathetic to their position. I couldn't figure out why they couldn't just do a small portion of the testing and study the effects, instead of just giving up on the testing altogether.

But then again, I live in a county where a town has spent decades arguing about making GBS threads in its own drinking water. (Summary is out of date; the project has started and half the streets in town are currently covered in steel plates.)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Until the weekends in summer months, when the entire Central Valley comes out and hangs out at the Central Coast beaches.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And lane changes stop being signaled.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
However the map shakes out is fine, as long as SLO doesn't have to share a region with Santa Maria. And as long as the State of Jefferson gets the recognition it deserves (none). :patriot:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Santa Maria is the suburb of SB. SLO is a sleeper community of itself. Santa Maria is a sprawling pile of garbage. SLO has an actual downtown with shops and stuff. People from Santa Maria come up and steal bikes when Cal Poly is out on break. Santa Maria doesn't even have an Amtrak stop!

My attitude toward Santa Maria is helped by having grown up in Santa Barbara.

Edit: The Santa Maria River has two modes: dry and washing away trailers. The creeks in SLO have real-life water and fish in them and look nice.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Any time you're in SLO County and there's one or more mountain ranges between you and the ocean, you could call that Central Valley. As soon as you get that dry air, the redneck level skyrockets. Good steak, though. Also the Firestone-Walker Brewery is up in Paso, so that's something.

I'm willing to keep Paso and Atascadero in the Central Coast region, if it would somehow spite Bakersfield.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ha ha the state including Los Angeles has a pretty sweet population density gradient as you go up the 101.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Everybody everywhere hates tourists. Everybody everywhere hates Bakos and, uh, Fresnaughts. Multiply that hate together and they don't have a chance.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My ex, who is an ag teacher, flooded Facebook last night with news stories like this:

http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/county-ag-educators-fight-for-state-funding-for-ffa-programs-brown-wants-evaluation-011414

As far as I can tell, there used to be $4.1 million in the budget that was explicitly for ag education programs. In Brown's new budget proposal, that $4.1 million may be allocated by local governments as desired.

Naturally, this means some ag programs will lose funding and some will gain funding, depending on the district. Am I right to suspect that some of the uproar is a bit sensational? Wouldn't districts with heavy ag influence just continue funding their programs?

(I'd reply to her, "drat that free market!" but she'd probably hunt me down and beat me.)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Leperflesh posted:

What the hell? I didn't even know we had a tourism and travel subforum. drat. Isn't there a state budget crisis or mayoral scandal or something we could be arguing about?

I posted about one on this very page. :mad:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

RabbitMage posted:

Also if you happen to drive through Pismo Beach/SLO, you need to stop and eat at Splash Cafe. Clam chowder in a bread bowl is the standard order, or if you're like me and not a seafood person, the chili breadbowl is decent, and the hamburgers and curly fries are also pretty great. I consider that place another California institution.

Among the three locations, the one in downtown SLO is far and away the relative worst. Go for the original in Pismo.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
All the sprinklers at my apartment complex are broken, so I turned them off months ago!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If you're a man and are wearing khaki pants, do not attempt to pee in the urinal that looks like a waterfall. You will get splatter all over your legs and a tourist may attempt to take a picture of the waterfall while you're using it.

The rooms are chintzy as poo poo, but getting one gives you pool access, so there's that. I'd rather just get breakfast there than stay there, but I live here, so my opinion shouldn't count much!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
SLO gets to take the best parts of everywhere else and use them without pretension. :) But then everybody adds cilantro to everything and ruins it. :(

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Except they always provide the shittiest plastic forks and knives! :argh:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Who's ready for a primary election!?

Vote both Yes and No for everything, including all the state offices.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If you're a big fan of voting No on stuff, the California Green Party (lol) put out some decent arguments for that position on Props 41 and 42.

I think spending money on homeless vets trumps the party's aversion to bond measures, but whatever.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

My Q-Face posted:

Yeah, I have this thing some people call the O.C. Disorder.

Don't call it that.

In drought news, my local news, KSBY, just reported that the local "lake," which is drying up, will be a topic at the next SLO City Council meeting. I hope the result of the discussion is a 4-1 vote agreeing that "It's too bad the lake is drying up."

Then the news pointed out how much the dry lake affects the nearby homeowners. Those poor owners of $800k homes, temporarily without their lake.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

FreshFeesh posted:

Are you talking about Laguna Lake? Unless prices have absolutely skyrocketed there's no way those houses are $800k+. It was never even that nice of a lake to begin with ...

Yeah, Laguna Lake. Zillow.com has them more in the $500k-$600k range, you're right. I remember a local telling me the lake bottom was "all diapers" when I first moved up here.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That 1% growth cap works wonders on home prices, to be sure.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If by "it" you mean "fog," then yes. :smug:

(Just kidding. I often escape to MB when SLO gets too "hot." Also when I need some salt-water taffy.)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yesterday I had to take off my sweater before riding my bike home from work.

California: Best State.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Baseball doesn't do multi-day matches like cricket or Quidditch; that's three separate games. Booking ahead of time will always be more reliable than buying tickets on the day of the game, especially for groups.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If you have too much trouble getting into a Dodger game (you shouldn't), you can also try for a semi-pro or collegiate team in the area. A lot of college players will join a team during the summer, to stay in shape. These teams play in small stadiums and can have a cozier vibe.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And sorry about "God Bless America," if they play it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

duckmaster posted:

quite how you have enough planes in your Air Force to even be able to do that is beyond me

There's even a special squadron of planes dedicated just to flying around looking cool! They're not even in our Air Force, but in our Navy!

:patriot:

Sound like you guys will have a quintessential American experience!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Depending on what time of day, you might not even leave Los Angeles!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I've seen those signs all my life and never heard of an aircraft actually enforcing the speed limit.

Speaking of those "Radar Enforced" signs you normally see under "Speed Limit" signs, we have one here in SLO that's under a "City Limit" sign. I guess they use radar to make sure the city doesn't get away?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
PYF Huell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXe5D7V89uo

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That's aMAZing!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That one-sided phone conversation is the best.

"Oh you just bought it; he's never actually been here."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Santa Barbara's water has to be 95% fish and bird poop by now, because that's all that's left in Cachuma and Gibraltar.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm a programmer with about 16+ years of experience.

Don't get a job in San Luis Obispo until I already have one, tia.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hey, I live in SLO! I can be useful!

Morro Bay is a sleepy town, but would definitely be the best bet, driving-wise, if you're going to Cambria and Paso often. If you can manage to find a place in SLO, go for it, but you have to compete more with the Cal Poly crowd for housing. Once you get south of SLO ("South County," as they say), you'll start to hate drives to Paso even more than if you're only coming from Morro Bay or SLO. The upside is you won't melt in the increasingly common heat waves.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
How can we claim this is still the best state when it's so loving hot outside?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Here in San Luis Obispo, A/C is not typical in most of the housing. Newer construction (what little there is) may have it. Up over Cuesta Grade, in places like Atascadero and Paso Robles, A/C is pretty standard, because they see much more heat than we do. I had to buy a portable A/C unit last year, so my girlfriend wouldn't murder me, and it is not keeping up with the demand. About to head to the coast until the sun goes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Tricky Ed posted:

The San Luis Obispo area might be possible still? I honestly don't know..

The city of SLO is pretty tough to scrape by in, because of a horrendous lack of workforce housing. Going half an hour north, to Atascadero or Paso Robles, might be more possible. Lots of restaurants and wineries up there that could always use clean dishes.

• Locked thread