Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Gen. Ripper posted:

I like the lonely prison up in the far northeast. Poor guy just wants some buddies to crush human rights with :(

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's Pelican Bay, where they do not, as they say, gently caress around. Also did you mean Northwest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

How do I show my income as a freelance filmmaker on the Covered CA form? Half my jobs are payroll from different companies, and the other half are 1099 invoice jobs.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

incoherent posted:

Do you do a lot of work? What are the barriers preventing you from joining the trade? Union dues? Specific type of work?

If there is anything this state is good for is film industry benefits via the various unions.

I do work a lot. Part of the problem is that I work on commercials which shoot for a day or two, then you move on to a new commercial. I must have filled out 50 or 60 sets of start paperwork so far this tax year. Mostly for different companies. I'd love to join the DGA as an assistant director, but that takes time to prove worthiness basically.

Leperflesh posted:

I have no idea. I'm only answering because I think you might have been asking me, but I should be clear: I'm not an expert on ACA, I just spent some time learning about it so that I can force my chronically poor and underinformed CA relatives to get their butts insured finally, and what I've learned about it has made me generally positive towards the program (although I'd vastly prefer a single-payer system, and even more than that I'd prefer a completely nationalized health care system, but uh, I guess 'baby steps.')

It's not entirely directed at you, I just saw you answering questions and figured someone (anyone) in the CA politics thread talking about the ACA might have a sense of how to go about doing this! I'm going to call the hotline and ask the next time I have a day off.

Geared Hub posted:

It's also good for runaway production fleeing the state while unions twiddle their thumbs. The barriers can be pretty high, but can pay off if you can work consistently in the industry on union jobs for a long time.

I'm not sure what a filmmaker is specifically ( not a specific enough job title ), but if he's a director, assistant director , unit director, production manager, the DGA initiation fee can range from $3500 to $11500. And that's if you got a signed deal from a employer thats a union signatory, otherwise they won't even send you an application.

One option is to work for a larger agency or firm/studio as a contractor who will get you into a union , then freelance after that on union only jobs.

I'm with IATSE , but I was laid off from a big union shop and I'm now work at another non-union facility at a competitor. I probably won't be in a Hollywood union again, my new job pays more, and has a better Heath care plan and benefits vs my old gig where my guild just bucked under studio pressure every 3 years.

I am a production assistant that does non-union ADing while I bide my time and build my days for DGA. Which IATSE were you with?

Trabisnikof posted:

Income tax documents?

First year in Los Angeles, don't have any from last year, don't have any for this year yet.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Geared Hub posted:

I'm with local 839 , the animation guild while I was at Dreamworks. Took about 6 months worth of hours to qualify, it was worth it since you'll eventually get to bank your hours and Heath plan to cover you when you are off work.

Unfortunately after I left DWA, I went back into live action work I didn't qualify to keep my pension contributions (requires working union jobs for 5 years for one fund and 13 years for another.) I think my initiation was around 2-3 thousand but you could break it up into a payment plan.

Ah awesome. I believe DGA 2nd is 100 days as a PA, a certain number of which have to be on set. I'm getting there, though I really don't want to 2nd AD :(

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

If you *really* want to see California, just watch all of these http://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

If you can't like Huell, you can't come to California.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I like Alhambra but I also like asian food and bubble tea so

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

25 new posts, no burgers, burritos, or car chases.

Come on what has this thread become? Informational??

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 10, 2014

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Never had Umami but I do know that's 50/50 burger is underwhelming. I was not satisfactorially whelmed.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

(those mexican dudes are cool and they work hard as gently caress).

All the Mexican families in my neighborhood also have awesome fence, masonry, and house work too because they're all contractor/craftsmen and they help each other out and take pride in their houses. It's awesome.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

When I moved to LA from NY, I drove here in 6 days, and 1 of those days was spend bullshitting with friends in Boulder, CO, so you can get pretty far. Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Driving a motorhome is a lot slower than driving a car, especially if you go over mountain ranges like the sierra or the rockies. But even so, three weeks is enough for a pretty solidly cool tour of a big chunk of the US.

I drove a Uhaul truck towing a sedan haha

• Locked thread