Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I was born is southern California, but I eventually migrated north and have been much better off since. California really should be split into two states. Anything south of San Jose can fall into the ocean for all I care. Southern California is a giant poo poo hole, and the valley is only good because it is where a ludicrous amount of food is grown. I'll stay up here in my semi-liberal haven of Sonoma county.

I am happy that the state is finally getting its head out of its rear end, but it isn't some perfect place by any means. Our prisons are the worst places you can possibly be, and the prison lobby is incredibly entrenched. There's quite a bit of bigotry in the rural areas. Our water supply is hosed because we have to pipe it all to the loving desert to support the people that choose to live there. All the while our streams are polluted, and our aquifers are drying up.

I can understand why people rail against unions, but they are the only thing keeping wages up to a living standard, and sometimes not even that. I have huge problems with the UC and CSU system, where schools have become places where administrators take home twice as much pay as professors, and there are 5 admins per teaching faculty. The president of my university made 200,000+ as well as a house, a car, full benefits, travel expenses paid, and more that I'm sure I don't know about. The year I started it was 3K per semester, by the time I left it was 6K. In that time they cut half the full time teachers, shut down student services, and gave the admins a 5% raise. I don't know the solution to the problem, but I hate that it is so common. That school president retired the year after I left with a retirement income close to 90% of his last years salary. he gets to make triple figures off of the state until he dies. That isn't right.

Meanwhile my wife struggles to find a living wage job, and can only manage to find jobs that give 20-25 hours per pay period at less than 10$ an hour. Then they just stop scheduling you if you ask for more hours or a raise. if you try to file for UI benefits you cant get them because the company never actually fired you. they just didn't schedule you for any hours. gently caress at will employment. One of the worst things to happen to this state.

I hate it when people blame unions when it is the businesses that are squeezing people to get every last drop of money out of them. The state does it as well with the fines, fees, penalties, and surcharges that are tacked on to every governmental transaction. The working class in the state are living pay check to pay check and the investor class takes their capital gains check laughing all the way to the bank.

California is no perfect place. Luckily we have beautiful scenery where you can get away from it all, or I would go insane.

All Of The Dicks posted:

Can someone explain the purpose of San Diego?

Look at this poo poo. Why, yes, I would love some dry ground beef and cilantro on a corn tortilla the size of a quarter. That sounds loving fantastic. Give me a whole plate of them.

It looks loving delicious.

You back the gently caress up off of my Tacos. First, That isn't ground beef, it's carne asada. Second, dual layered corn tortillas are the ONLY way to eat tacos. If you use flour tortillas you are commuting a crime. It's even worse of a crime if you use a hard shell of any kind. The only thing wrong with that picture is that you don't have enough chips, or salsa to dip them in.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Amarkov posted:

Why would you want chips when you could have more tacos?

Especially if you find one of those places that sells tacos for less than a buck a pop. :swoon:

I love that I can get three tacos, a mexican coke, and an order of ships and salsa for about 6$. For some reason I HAVE to have the chips and salsa. It just isn't right without them.

withak posted:

There is a food truck in SF that does a chicken tikka masala burrito. It is awesome.

Holy gently caress I have to try this. I always forget that there is amazing Indian food everywhere here as well.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

John Nance Garner posted:

Well it appears the stay of Prop 8 has been lifted--allowing homosexuals to be married immediately.

That didn't take as long as I thought it would. Call it an early independence day gift!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Dusseldorf posted:

There's a big geothermal plant near Geyserville. There's also one near Mammoth.

I visited the geothermal plant in Geyserville as a part of my studies at the local CSU. It was pretty cool visit. That was about 10 years ago.

I generally like Sonoma County, but there are quite a few NIMBY people here. For example, the town of Sebastepol rejected free wifi from the local ISP because of "concern" about the RADIATION. I hate that people's ignorant fears prevented me from getting free wifi. Luckily I don't live in sebastepol anymore.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Geared Hub posted:

I'm going to Marin next week to look for a place to rent.. trying to get a feel for the place.. using Air BNB to stay in various neighbourhoods until I start work.

Is there any new residential developments in the North Bay area? Marin at least seems built out.

Rent in Marin and Sonoma counties are pretty high. Petaluma (south sonoma county) wouldn't be a bad choice for commuting. I would avoid Santa Rosa if you can. Solano county is cheap, but it sucks.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Geared Hub posted:

Yeah, that drive would kill me, I'm jumping from place to place before I start work via AirBnB to give commuting a dry run, that and check out the sights.

Any impact from the state of emergency in regards to the fire in Yosemite impacting SF Bays water supply? Was that a case of loosening up funds for emergency response or is it time to put away a barrel of water just in case?

As far as I've read the Hetch Hetchy reservoir is not in direct danger. The concern was about the hydro electric power generation the dam supplies, and not really the water itself.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

VideoTapir posted:

I have never seen a Chipotle ad. I heard of them because I knew people who liked to eat there DESPITE LIVING IN CALIFORNIA AT THE TIME WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE WHY DOES CHIPOTLE EVEN EXIST IN CALIFORNIA?

I went to a newly opened Chipotle last week in my area. Everyone was talking it up as awesome fast food. I was incredibly let down and had the worst stomach ache after eating it. I burrito drink and chips came to about 8$.

I can go to the best taqueria in town, and get a giant burrito, fresh chips, and a Mexican Coke for less than that. It will taste better, be better for me, and support a local business instead of some giant franchise / corporation.

Chipotle is loving stupid.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Hog Obituary posted:

If you think your local taqueria isn't using the cheapest stuff available to it, you're in for a surprise. I'm not seeing why it would be any better for you than Chipotle.

It's not like its health food, and I am in no way claiming it to be. I know they make their own tortillas and that the salsa is fresh every day. They also use locally sourced free range chicken. I would call that much better than chipolte.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Trabisnikof posted:

You realize Chipotle is in fact the worst fast food resturant to make this argument about. Is chipotle mexican? Hell no. But they're all over the natural food movement. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfSGt6rHos)

Just sayin.

I don't know where Chipotle gets their food from, I just know it was horrible. Now excuse me while I go eat at my local Taqueira that is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Well excuse me for chiming in on something being discussed in the thread.

Maybe you should just eat some good Mexican food and relax?

• Locked thread