Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Guidos Python posted:

Could someone do a write up on the water issue? I'm from Bakersfield and I see signs saying how farmers have had rates increased yet they only revive 25% of the water they were getting 4 years ago.

It's probably true on the rate increases and cuts, or not far from the truth. My understanding is that the main issue was that in 2007 a federal district court severely restricted water pumping from the Delta due to it threatening the endangered Delta smelt (a small fish). Keep in mind that the Aqueduct which supplies water to Central Valley agriculture also is a major pipeline to heavily populated Southern California. Ultimately it's a fight between environmental/conservation groups, farmers, and urban areas for that water supply.

edit: oh, I live in LA.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
On the subject of LA and public transit, the subway and light rail system is actually quite nice. Trains are quite timely and come often, reasonable cost, and honestly very clean and safe* compared to other metro systems I've ridden on. The problem is that it doesn't actually go anywhere and specifically doesn't serve the western half of Los Angeles at all. There was a ballot initiative last fall for a half-cent sales tax increase to accelerate the planned extensions to the LA Metro, but it failed 66.11% to 33.89%. Yes, failed. Because in CA it takes a 2/3 majority to raise taxes for anything ever :smith:

*Except the Blue Line that goes to Long Beach. It runs through South LA and while I don't feel unsafe during the daytime I wouldn't ride it at night.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

Having taken that bus many times, and been in airports with rail connections, I can assure you this is not the case. It's not awful, but it makes no sense for the Green Line to not actually enter the airport. Additionally, that was original plan because it would be utterly stupid not to....unfortunately, as is usual in LA, some lobbying got involved.

I've been told anecdotally that the main reason the trains go almost but not quite to LAX is due to lobbying from cabbies, bus/shuttle companies, and airport parking services who didn't want the competition.

And, yes, if white people rode public transit, maybe we'd have wound up with something slightly less half-assed.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

redscare posted:

Obviously LA wouldn't have the same problems Detroit has, but there's plenty of potential for things to go sideways, and union-related inanity is one of the things that drove Detroit into the ground. Aside from that, LA's economy is still in rough shape and unemployment is at 10%. The city also has a large population of poor people that are dependent on government benefits, a notoriously bad school system, and as already mentioned, a crumbling infrastructure. Also, aerospace is probably going to shrink again due to the budget cuts. These are all challenges that will have to be dealt with and the city has no money to do so with.

You're doing a lot of handwaving here. Most large cities have significant poor/working poor populations, and yes LAUSD is pretty terrible but what of the higher education in the area? The community colleges are incredibly good and the big universities are world-class. Aerospace might be a declining industry, but there's a growing tech industry here too. I forget the name of the project, friend of mine that's in Marketing in Silicon Valley was telling me about how there's a lot of movement toward making Santa Monica a new Silicon Valley type area.

Los Angeles isn't going to pull a Detroit unless the world decides to stop watching American TV and film.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I think you're all missing the point, Asian fusion food is where it's at. Seriously, bulgogi (Korean bbq) burritos are loving amazing!

I didn't know there was a distinct "Cal-Mex" different than general Americanized Mexican food. I always equate "California style" or "LA style" as meaning with avocado :v:

Edit: also, I don't know if El Salvadorean food is common in Texas, but pupusas own.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 28, 2013

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The LA Metro light rail runs until 2am, and it's only two rails for each line as well. I'm sure given the money and willpower, BART running times could be tweaked to some extent on Friday and Saturday nights.

Edit: LA Metro will also run double-duty late night schedules for big events, too. Last summer when I went to Hard Summer (30-50k people music festival/rave), Metro ran until I think 4am with trains every 15min or something and your ticket to the event also worked as your ticket for the train that night. Even though the city of LA hates raves and rave-type events (and there was some dumb aggressive LAPD hijinks at the event), running the trains late is a really convenient and responsible option.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ardennes posted:

I have been on the one on sunset, it seemed fine, and the one on Van Nuys. Both seemed to be about the same. Not too different than RoRo's also on Sunset (across from Crossroads of the World).

So what is greater LA's weakest food category? It isn't Mexican, Chinese, or Korean obviously. I guess pizza isn't spectacular, but doesn't seem that bad. Not a lot of representation of French food in Southern California? Maybe Thai?

We get to claim In-N-Out, Tommy's and Astro.

I know of a few decent Italian and French places, but I'd say those are definitely weaker in the LA area. I also haven't found too many good Indian restaurants, sort of the same situation there as French and Italian. I know of a couple good spots for each, but it's not like Mexican or Korean where you can get bomb food anywhere and everywhere (including food trucks) at all hours.

Thai food we definitely have plenty of, you should check out Thai Town sometime!

• Locked thread