Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Rah! posted:

The most wrong opinions. "Cal-mex" uses plenty of cheese and steak, and has tortillas of many shapes and sizes and moisture levels, what are you talking about? And tex-mex uses beans too. As for where most Mexican food in CA is from or based on, look at the Northern Mexico and Western Mexico sections of this wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_food#Regional_cuisines

You can find stuff from anywhere in Mexico though, this is a big state with a lot of Mexicans. I've seen some Yucatan-style Mexican restaurants, for example..

I moved to Texas from California and definitely noticed that Mexican Food suddenly became very rare. Tex Mex is pretty much a huge burrito made with ground beef and jalapeņos on a plate covered with velveeta. I'm told Tex-Mex claims Fajitas as part of their tradition, but that doesn't go far enough to right the various and most heretical wrongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

I think we can all agree that the California Burrito is an abomination to all nations, creeds, and religions, made only to appease whitebread OC bastards. (Seriously, fries in a burrito?)

Thankfully, Carne Asada Fries make up for it.

Who the hell serves fries in a burrito and calls it "California?"

I've found a use for domestic drone strikes.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I'm not sure who would win the brewery wars, but Stone in the South vs Sierra Nevada in the North would be a brutal slugfest.

North Coast's Old Rasputin is probably the best Imperial Stout (from California). Lagunitas is up north too. Firestone Walker is kind of central.

duodenum fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 20, 2013

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Is this a George Lucas thing? Because pretty much everybody only knows the Presidio for ILM and the Disney Museum, and everybody knows the Lucas dominion of properties is in Marin.

And TWDC is in Burbank, so you might as well start dropping the Episode VII spoilers now. :colbert:

Thankfully, George Lucas has very little to do with Episode VII.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

My wife and I moved from coastal Southern California (Ventura) to Riverside and then to Houston (for work, mostly). 160k buys you absolutely nothing in Ventura. 160k buys you an old house in a bad neighborhood in Riverside, 160k buys you a brand new 5/3 in a nice neighborhood in "Houston." Contrary to popular belief, we did not take a pay cut moving here (Veterinarian, Accountant). We don't pay a state income tax, but the toll roads are everywhere.

The weather and the flatness are the biggest challenges for me. I miss the pine tree covered mountainous forest and the beautiful pacific beach, but Houston is a wholly cosmopolitan and very diverse city. It's an amalgamation of "The South" and the southwest/frontier/cowboy. The TVs in the barber shop are either on Football or Fox News. I don't know Houston culture terribly well as it relates to Texas, but I'm told it's leaning more and more left as it brings in people from all over. The building is happening everywhere, freeway expansion, housing.

Thank fsm for A/C. I have to find things for the kids to do inside. Large indoor play areas are common enough. I do miss being able to just go outside whenever I please, because probably half the year it seems it's too hot for that. Still, on the whole, I think our quality of life is better here than it could've been in either Ventura or Riverside.

If money wasn't a factor I would most definitely move back to Ventura. Sadly, weather isn't enough reason to stay.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

It's true, there is very little to love in Oxnard. But if you're passing through, the Carne Asada Burrito at El Taco De Mexico on 5th Street is the motherfucking bomb diggity. Most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

withak posted:

I'm oretty sure that french fries in a a burrito is some kind of awful socal thing.

Sounds more like Tex Mex.

• Locked thread