Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

Does NorCal even have burrito shops?

Yes

Blinkman987 posted:

I thought they were all turned into luxury condos or Chipotles.

No, unless "parking lot" or "warehouse" is synonymous with "burrito shop" for you, which would not be surprising in the 90% of america where garbage = mexican food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Eat The Burrito

Do it. It's ok, it's just one bite. You can control yourself, bobula. Just one more time :unsmigghh:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The answer to burritos is yes.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

KoB posted:

Breakfast is the best food and Breakfast Burritos are the ultimate form of the best food.

You live in California, so yes.

I do not live in CA I am a sovereign citizen of my cardboard box.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

celeron 300a posted:

That sounds pretty classic, although I'd probably skip the guac - it doesn't agree with me unless it's by itself and some chips.

I will only eat chorizo if it's a real small amount (like, not an entire burrito chock full of it) or if I am in close radius to a bathroom

Can't handle guacamole (what the hell is guac :argh:), can't handle chorizo. What did you do to piss off the Mexican food gods?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

nm posted:

I actually hate pico because I am a 12 year old who hates uncooked tomatoes (it is probably genetic, my whole dad's side of the family thinks they taste like soap).
Give me some something spicier and/or tomatillo based.

Interesting. I've heard of that with cilantro, but never with uncooked tomatoes.

nm posted:

Also, chorizo and eggs is amazing. Cheap protein and tastes awesome.

Definitely. It's really cheap for the amount of awesomeness you get.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

nm posted:

Trick question. It comes from a truck in Oakland.

I got a burrito from a truck in Oakland that has 4.5 stars on yelp, and it was more like a 3 star burrito. Based on my giant sample size, I declare SF the winner :smugbert:

edit: best burritos in CA I've ever had were from SF, Salinas, San Jose, Desert Hot Springs, and San Diego. Worst one I've ever had was also from San Diego. All that was in it was extra chewy/tough/bland carnitas, sauteed onions, and 5 gallons of grease...it tasted decent enough because I was stoned out of my mind and it's hard to hate any burrito, but :wtc:

Also why does the mission burrito example on the burrito wikipedia page have lettuce in it? Only poo poo places have lettuce, and only poo poo people want lettuce in there. People who like lettuce in burritos are even worse than people who need to have rice.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 29, 2015

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

There are delicious burritos that contain lettuce

I am sorry that you like inferior burritos. I'll eat burritos with lettuce, because burritos are good, but why eat one with lettuce when it's automatically better without it?

Leperflesh posted:

When people in this thread say "good" or "bad" about a burrito, it's almost never qualified by any sort of description whatsoever.

To me, the best burritos have good meat that isn't overdone or gristly or sitting around for a long time (I usually get carne asada or carnitas), and it has fresh non-poo poo pico de gallo with a lot of peppers in it (serranos are best) and/or onions and cilantro, avocado (guacamole is good, but I prefer plain avocado), beans (refried or whole pinto beans), and good hot sauce. Sour cream, cheese, french fries is optional if I'm in the mood for it, and as much as I poo poo on rice, it tastes fine...i just prefer rice to be replaced with more meat or beans or salsa or whatever, because rice doesn't taste like much.

Thank you for listening to my very important burrito opinions.

And speaking of pico de gallo, maybe I'm dumb and can't remember poo poo right, but I'm pretty sure people used to mostly call it "salsa" (because that's what it is), at least around here...until around 10 years ago, and then every white person in the US and Canada started calling it "pico de gallo" most of the time. I've even run into a couple people who tried to correct me when I called it "salsa", which is like correcting someone for referring to cheddar as "cheese".

Leperflesh posted:

Burritos are an American invention (well, invented in America, for Americans, by Mexicans, anyway).

That's true for most burritos you find in the US, but there are also Mexican burritos:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrito

quote:

Burritos are a traditional food of Ciudad Juárez, a city in the northern Mexican state of Chihuahua, where people buy them at restaurants and roadside stands. Northern Mexican border towns like Villa Ahumada have an established reputation for serving burritos. Authentic Mexican burritos are usually small and thin, with flour tortillas containing only one or two ingredients: some form of meat or fish, potatoes, rice, beans, asadero cheese, chile rajas, or chile relleno.[14] Other types of ingredients may include barbacoa, mole, refried beans and cheese, and deshebrada (shredded slow-cooked flank steak). The deshebrada burrito also has a variation with chile colorado (mild to moderately hot) and salsa verde (very hot). The Mexican burrito may be a northern variation of the traditional taco de Canasta, which is eaten for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.[citation needed]

Although burritos are one of the most popular examples of Mexican cuisine outside of Mexico, in Mexico they are only popular in the northern part of the country. However, they are beginning to appear in some nontraditional venues in other parts of Mexico. Wheat flour tortillas used in burritos are now often seen throughout much of Mexico (possibly due to these areas being less than optimal for growing maize), despite at one time being particular to northwestern Mexico, the Southwestern US Mexican American community, and Pueblo Indian tribes.

Burritos are commonly called tacos de harina (wheat flour tacos) in central and southern Mexico and burritas (feminine variation, with 'a') in northern-style restaurants outside of northern Mexico proper. A long and thin fried burrito similar to a chimichanga is prepared in the state of Sonora and vicinity, and is called a chivichanga.[15]

edit: I've never had an authentic Mexican burrito (maybe that sad burrito I had in San Diego was a bad example of one though). They sound good.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 29, 2015

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

El Jebus posted:

I'm sorry, but did you say Desert Hot Springs? Where in that area is there a burrito that is better than what you can get from some poor Mexicans in Indio or The other poor areas of the Coachella Valley?

A Mexican restaurant that was run by Mexican people, that made some drat good Mexican food. Desert Hot Springs is over 50% Latino, dude (mostly Mexican of course). Also, I've never been to Indio....I'm sure there's great Mexican food all over the Coachella valley, I never said there wasn't.

EDIT: also, since you mentioned poor areas: Desert Hot Springs has a poverty rate of about 30%, which is kind of high (it also has a pretty high crime rate). It does have tourists because of the hot springs and its status as a cheaper vacation alternative to Palm Springs, but it's definitely not a town overrun by wealthy people or anything.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 9, 2015

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

El Jebus posted:

I'm sorry if I came across as hostile or anything, I'm genuinely curious where to get an awesome burrito in DHS. I live in Indio but I have a friend I ride with that lives in DHS so I'm over there occasionally. I also wasn't trying to say other parts are poorer, just closer and with some rockin burritos.

I'd love to tell you what the place in Desert Hot springs is, but I was there like 15 years ago, and can't remember the name. It might not even be there anymore, and maybe I'm even misremembering how good the burrito was, I dunno...but it stuck in my memory this long, unlike countless other burritos, so I think I'm remembering right and am probably not an entirely crazy person. It was on a main street (one of what..two main streets in DHS?) and I think it was within a few blocks of a mortuary, if that helps at all. Which is why the meat was so good, no doubt :unsmigghh:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Don't forget loose junk piled up 12' above the truck bed with the suspension completely bottomed out.

People with unsecured loads are dangerous idiot assholes. There's a goon whose fiance was beheaded by junk flying off the back of a truck on the freeway...use a tarp/ropes/bungee cords you lazy motherfuckers :argh:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

celeron 300a posted:

Business Insider wrote an entire article about how in-n-out is overrated and how californians are "suckered in" by the "manufactured cult"

this entire article was prompted by Clinton getting her staffers in-n-out before hopping on a red eye to the other coast

It includes a choice bit of opinion about how other corporations have "maintained quality" with a much more widespread presence.

I don't know who this schmuck is but if he isn't from around here then this article only proves his incredible jealousy

and if he is from around here then he can :getout: and make room for people who actually appreciate our great state

The SF chronicle ran that same article, and it was eviscerated in the comments for being dumb idiot garbage, which is probably the only time news comments have been cool and good.

Anyways in-n-out is really good, but it's nothing special unless you're comparing it to other fast food places, and taking the low prices into account. But there's always some smug retarded chucklefuck who compares it to a more expensive place, and then plays the "checkmate, dumb Californians :smug:" card.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Being from the east coast, Chinese food sucks in California. Like I don't want food from China. I want some General Tso's Chicken. It just doesn't exist here. Insanity.

In other California food news, Trader Joe's is having a butter shortage.

There's plenty of "Chinese" food in CA. Panda express is everywhere, as are non-chain restaurants that are run by Chinese people but that cater to whiteys/tourists.

Speaking of Trader Joe's and white people Chinese food, go to trader joe's and buy the general tso's chicken and/or orange chicken. It's basically panda express in a bag in your freezer, so you don't even need to wash yourself or put on a clean wolf shirt or interact with people when you get that general tso's urge

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Chinatown posted:

lol a norcal person talking about burritos

the golden gate bridge awaits you

lol like California burritos are any more authentically Mexican than mission burritos are, you loving weenie

nm posted:

Also, we really shouldn't be having an authenticness battle between California Burritos and Mission Burritos because they're both fake as poo poo and loving delicious.

:same:

But beans are required in a burrito. French fries or rice are optional, but fries are better, and gently caress people who demand rice in their burrito or ask for extra rice, and complain when there is no rice, what the gently caress you should just go and marry some loving rice you rear end in a top hat rice fucker, thank you for reading my burrito rules

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

You might investigate like Santa Rosa area - that's north of what anyone really considers the Bay Area

Closer to the bay area you might consider Vallejo or Vacaville.

Sorry to nitpick your otherwise great post, but those are all solidly within the Bay Area (Ok, Vacaville is like right on the edge..but it's in Solano county). Though I guess there are probably some :bahgawd: types in outer fringes of the Bay Area that are adamant that they're 100% separate and have nothing do with the dirty urban lieberal metropolis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FMguru posted:

California has a very high (and climbing!) cost of living, and the places where people can afford to live on low-end jobs are all well inland (i.e. a zillion miles away from the beaches and the surfing)

nah, you can live by the beach with a low-end job, but you need a rent controlled unit and/or 15 roommates, and you won't be going out for every meal or anything like that, and you gotta maybe be cool with living in a closet/basement, or closet in a basement, with rats and sewage

• Locked thread