Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Look at the loving post. Its called 'carne asada' and that specimen looks pretty drat good.

You might be a bit thrown by its lack of a hard taco shell and sour cream and guac not slathered over it.

San Diego has ruined Mission burritos for me. They always seem so surprised when I ask for no rice in my gigantic 3 pound burrito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

The issue with the BART police is that they kept shooting unarmed people (See, Fruitvale). One of the big union demands is bulletproof glass in the station attendants' booths.

I worked with the director of that movie. Coincidentally, we're both part of SEIU 1021, which represents a large amount of BART employees. Despite how much my coworkers complained about being part of them, they did manage to save a lot of jobs for us.

As a union guy and as someone who doesn't have to take BART, I stand behind them as they haven't had a raise in five years. I know asking for 23% over three years is a lot, but I know that they won't get it and they're most likely starting with a high number to negotiate with.

dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006

Papercut posted:

He was talking about the Richmond, not Richmond.

Geared Hub, I still think you could look at the 40th-50th and Geary area. There is tons of street parking out there so having two cars wouldn't be an issue, and rent is a lot lower because it's at the edge of the city and the weather sucks. You could drive to work from there in 20 minutes or so.

I reverse commute to San Rafael so I see what the 101 is like every day, and I would not want to do that regularly. Picture the 405 at rush hour. It's 20 miles of bumper to bumper starting every afternoon at 3pm, and the morning commute into the city is just as bad.

When I first moved to the city I moved to 41st and Geary, happy that I lived near the beach and would go surfing all the time. It is really cold and foggy year round. I went to the beach maybe twice and I always had the longest bus ride if I every wanted to go out. There's more stuff going on further into the Richmond from Arguello to maybe Funston on Clement. Its very much a second Chinatown.

I was having this discussion the other day with my gf, so much of the city is so expensive now we are looking where to go, first to either SoCal or East Bay or somewhere else in the country. What we pay is a house payment most places in the country and we have a relatively cheap apartment in Hayes Valley, which has become absurdly gentrified in the past decade.

dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006
If anyone hasn't seen it, this has a list of all bay area public employees salaries.

http://www.mercurynews.com/salaries/bay-area/2012

Also of note, BART's highest paid employee last year didn't work a day.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_23416601/barts-top-paid-worker-2012-never-worked-day

I'm a public employee I also pay a pension contribution, as has been noted, BART employees are reluctant to reach a deal that includes a raise, but also demands a pension contribution, which would eat up much of that raise.

dr.gigolo fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 19, 2013

• Locked thread