Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I had someone tell me that "kids can just decide that they want to be a girl that day and hang out in the girls locker room!"

I had to explain no kid would pretend to be transgender just to get a peek in the girl's locker room. Transgender kids go through horrible hazing and abuse and it's not something to just joke around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like the term SoCal because it helps separate us from those Bay Area snobs who thing they're better than the rest of the state.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nm posted:

Those parts don't think of the bay and often Sacramento as part of norcal. But it is. They can go be the state of jefferson.

gently caress no if you lump in the Inland Empire, Bakersfield and other desert shitholes with SoCal then you can have the wackos in not-quite-oregon NorCal.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I've always thought that "The Inland Empire" would be a great name for a post-apocalyptic feudal/fantasy kingdom. :allears:

"Kneel before Ralph I, Emperor of the Inland Empire!!!"

The Inland Empire is actually a fairly specific area of California and the fastest growing area of the nation.

This is the official map according to the California Board of Tourism.

Although most people who live in Victorville and Hesperia consider it to be the High Desert and not the official Inland Empire.

Everyone outside that zone are horribly deformed sand people and we don't talk about those people.

Also it was windy as poo poo yesterday with gusts up to 60mph and it destroyed my patio furniture.

You can tell I live in the IE because of the cookie cutter houses and small dirt backyard. :buddy:

Shbobdb posted:

A customer of mine lives near Disneyland. She now hates fireworks because they make her commute home impossibly slow. Everyone stops to look at them and she just wants to get home :smith:

I used to drive home down the 5 at around 9:35 every night right by Disneyland and there were always a few people who had to stop and pull over and get out of their cars on the freeway to watch the stupid fireworks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

As the only Inland Empire supporter around here it can be quite beautiful.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just put in a new backyard with tons of grass, jokes on you nature :smug:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nm posted:

Meth and crime happens.

Most of the meth production was pushed out of the Inland Empire in the mid 2000s into Mexico and the Central Valley and the Inland Empire has many cities ranked among the safest in the state, such as Rancho Cucamonga, Eastvale and Murrietta.

I know the I.E. is the butt of everyone's jokes, but it's still one of the fastest growing regions of the country and increasingly becoming another extension of Orange and LA counties as people are priced out of those markets. Home prices are rising, higher-end developments are going up, old farmland and industrial areas are being grazed in preparation of new developments and the stagnant employment numbers are slowly improving. The I.E. is the second-fastest growing area for tech jobs if you can believe it.

The fact is the IE is a huge, huge place quickly filling up working class families who can no longer afford to live where they work. Families are moving in and quickly transforming many area. In 10 years time so much will change and the area has a lot of offer for a lot of people.

I wouldn't recommend anyone visit though if their goal is to "see California".

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Some cool maps I found recently

Spyglass on the Past: San Francisco 1859
Los Angeles in 1880, as depicted on a map from the David Rumsey collection, compared to a modern satellite image of the city.

Spyglass on the Past: Los Angeles 1880 and Today
San Francisco in 1880, as depicted on a map from the David Rumsey collection, compared to a modern satellite image of the city.

The Weird & Wonderful IE
An eclectic tour of interesting locales in Southern California's vast Inland Empire

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Most of the roads into Yosemite as closed this time of year and lodging in the park is booked a year in advance.

Same with roads into the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bobula posted:

Lakewood is number 1??? They have an In-N-Out AND a bowling alley.

And at the very end of the article they call Irvine "thrilling" :what:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Forceholy posted:

No fair! It has Disneyland and UC Irvine and a Vastly overrated CSU (according to the students anyway) and the Ayn Rand Institute! Seeing how it's in the middle of Orange county, I'm not surprised.

Disneyland isn't in Irvine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also the Inland Empire is great and I will defend it to my death :colbert:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Its a wasteland.

I'd rather live here than the Bay Area.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Yeah I would take meth-heads over "tech" workers any day.

I'm glad there's no drugs in the Bay Area anymore. I know it's a crummy region and not for everyone but a middle class household can still afford a home here which is something to be said.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

You can get that in a lot of places that aren't Inland Empire, though.

Not if you work in LA or Orange county, which more than 40% of IE residents do.

Look, I understand that IE has been the laughing stock of California for a long time but I really don't see why. I lived in Orange County most of my life and only moved out here 3 years ago. I thought it was all meth-heads, lifted trucks, and bros. There's pockets of that sure, but it's mostly middle-class families. That's where they moved out to because they got priced out of the housing market. It's not all Bartow, Victorville, or stuff you see on GTAV. It's historical cities like Riverside, mountain cities like Big Bear and wine country like Temecula.

Leperflesh posted:

It's definitely more expensive to live here (but we also have higher salaries). I'm sympathetic to those who can't or don't want to pay what it costs for real estate in the bay area. But to actually prefer the soul-sucking cultural vacuum of the Inland Empire just strikes me as either rationalizing one's inescapable situation, or alternatively, a really bizarre prioritization of home square footage over all other aspects of human quality of life.

My priority was that I could raise on a salary that doesn't require me to break my back but still afford to buy a home in a safe neighborhood with a great school district and still have my wife be able to stay home and take care of our kids. I have a nice lawn that I treat like Hank Hill and enjoy fixing stuff around my house. I trade a 45-minute commute for that pleasure but that's the sacrifice I've agreed to make. I still take my kids to the museums on the weekends, maybe they're not quite as big as yours. We have a cool desert in Palm Springs, but it's just desert animals, sorry. I have to drive 4 blocks to get to the grocery store and I transfer from a train to a bus to get to work instead of a direct shot but I don't mind. My soul isn't crushed, I'm a very happy individual, moreso than when I lived in an apartment in Orange County. I have a little space from my neighbors but still talk to them, my neighbor is a retired professor. There's a park across the street and my city has the Santa Ana river trail which is a bike path that goes all the way from the mountains to the ocean.

Also we aren't in our own rear end about how anyone would ever want to live anywhere else, which is nice.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 9, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Illuminado posted:

Let's talk more about SoCal being better than OtherCal
It isn't.

Also I have to say that growing up in Rural NorCal is waaaaay more boring than any city on that list. Look at all the podunk towns on I5 between Sacramento and Redding.

Hey does anyone have any opinions on burritos?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Real question for San Diegans: I'm taking the kiddos to the zoo first week in May but we're staying in Del Mar. Are the beaches there any good? Anything else the kids may enjoy?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Toe Rag posted:

This pretty much explains why the IE is an unlivable hell hole.

That's nothing unique to the IE. I'm guessing you think anything outside a major city center is a hell hole?

EDIT: You probably mean driving 4 blocks. I buy a lot of groceries (6 people) and the store carts have those little wheel locks on them.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 10, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RabbitMage posted:

Alright fellow statespeople, where in California can you find a reasonable intersection between affordable land, proximity to a metro area, and water availability?

I want a tiny farm someday but I think I've been priced out of California, unless I go back to Fresno. And I ain't goin' back to Fresno.

Presumably some places here on the north coast might do, but I think it's too remote for me long term.

There's some beautiful spots along 395 but they're still a drive to "major" metro areas. The area around Minden and Carson Valley in general is also very nice and you have short drives to Tahoe and Reno from there, but it's technically Nevada.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FRINGE posted:

Reminder to people moving to LA: the LAPD is (in)famous for a reason. Your every interaction with them could be your last and its something you need to fully understand before you interact (carefully) with them.
I know this will turn into a white-knight invasion from another subforum, so I will not post about it again, but this is actually something to think about if youre moving into the LA area. The police here are very dangerous and very much immune to repercussions. Interact with them when you need to, but never forget this.

Don't you think your being a tad hyperbolic when cautioning someone that living in LA will cause them to get shot by the police?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FRINGE posted:

Since I didnt say that, its not really a relevant question.

They should be treating as local dangers though. *Use as needed.

*Use at own risk.

Ok well it's such an exceedingly improbable event that I think it should be given as much pause as say the chance of getting killed by a palm tree.

So yeah, to anyone moving to LA, be on the lookout for cops and palm trees.

EDIT: or earthquakes since that's another one people like to freak out about. So yeah, please consider the minute possibility you will get murdered by the police or squished by a freeway onramp.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 13, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

"We'll be staying in San Francisco for a couple days but we thought we would head down to Disneyland for a day trip, it doesn't look too far. "

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Palm Desert has a cool zoo called Living Desert too. I went there a few weeks ago and was pretty impressed for what I thought was a lesser known zoo.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

leidend posted:

Thanks for all the Palm Springs help.

The living desert zoo looks awesome. We don't have a good zoo in town. Only concern is my wife is deathly afraid of snakes, can we avoid them pretty easily?

Yeah, the snakes are in their own little plexiglass area that's indoors, you can just avoid them entirely if you want.

I will recommend that if you're going to go to the zoo then try and get there as early as possible. These are desert animals so they're generally active in the morning when it's cooler and as it gets hotter they get dormant and seek shelter. You'll have a much better chance of seeing some active animals if you get there when the gates open.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I live in the Inland Empire region and commute 35mi to Irvine for work and school currently.

The thing you gotta understand about commuting from IE to OC is that the two counties are geographically separated by a mountain range. There is only one way in and out to commute from there, that's the 91 freeway. So when 80% of the IE empties for OC and LA counties, they mainly travel along the 91 freeway. And then when they go home, it's even worse. And they're beginning a 5-year long construction all along the freeway starting this year :suicide:

I live in North Orange County, Fullerton specifically, for about 30 years. I moved out to the Inland Empire about 3 years ago because I had a growing family and could not afford to buy in OC. So I moved about 20 miles out and bought a house twice as big and half the price. I think that's a big motivation for lots of people who move out there, it's families and working class people priced out of the OC and LA market and decided that home ownership was worth the cost of the commute. There are still lots of places for young people like downtown Riverside, Redlands, places more like college towns. But for a single person with no kids I don't think the distance is worth the cost. Plus the mountain range doesn't allow the off-shore airflow and traps tons of smog from the thousands of warehouses that serve LA so it's always 10-15 degrees hotter out here.

I think there are some great areas of OC that can still be affordable if you're willing to look around. Fullerton, Brea, Anaheim, even Buena Park all have nice areas that are a little more affordable than South Orange County. Costa Mesa is nice, Santa Ana is becoming gentrified quick and Orange has the "old town, downtown" vibe going for it. If you're planning on commuting to Perris there is still traffic but on the weekends it will be in the opposite direction you're looking to go. Just don't live in Perris, oh god no.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EnsGDT posted:

25 new posts, no burgers, burritos, or car chases.

Come on what has this thread become? Informational??

Consumer Reports just said California has the top two burgers in the nation

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Said it before and I will say it again.

When I went to Five Guys for the first time I literally scoffed out loud at the prices.

I can get essentially the same quality food at 2/3s the price at In-N-Out. Plus drive thru. Plus non-hokey dumb service.

Same, Five Guys is insanely expensive for what you get.

Also The Habit is now my go-to place for burgers, they are very good and you all should check them out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tacier posted:

Along with Crater Lake being nearby, your route also takes you within an hour of a place called Lava Beds National Monument near the CA/OR border which is situated on the flank of a huge shield volcano and is famous for its high concentration of sweet lava tube caves, most of which are concentrated in a small area, so you could explore most of them in 2-3 hours. It's a worthwhile detour if you like caves and have a couple headlamps handy. Crowds are almost never a concern there.

I'm heading to Crate Lake in September and have been looking for places to stop on the way back down so thanks for this recommendation.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Verizon is pretty good.
http://opensignal.com/

If you can swing T-Mobile I would suggest going that route though as it's hands down the cheapest. Are you going to be traveling much for your job? If you're going from home to work to home and get coverage in those 2 important places then you should be fine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Inland Empire's own Riverside was named the 8th coolest city in the state, suck it Chicago and New York.

Local Paper is just as baffled as anyone else.
http://www.pe.com/articles/riverside-698482-list-cities.html

California had 7 of the top 20 in fact.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jeeves posted:

Riverside is like Republicanland, Inland Empire edition-- compared to Orange County or such.

It brings into question who made that poll or whatever.

Riverside went to Obama in 2008 and was split in 2012.

The Inland Empire is rapidly turning blue. As more working families move out of LA and OC they demographics are shifting and are inching towards being a Democratic majority. Democrats already hold 2 of the 7 seats in Riverside county and the solid edge that Republicans once had has dropped 7 percent in the last 12 years despite a 10% increase in registered voters.

http://inlandempirecenter.org/blog/a-revobluetion-the-inland-empires-new-political-geography/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

What if you live and work in Irvine and don't see suicide as an answer to that soulless living? And you want a burrito? T_T

Santa Ana is right next door

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

How're you guys handling the drought? I'm not great at taking short showers so I've been attempting to cut down to doing it every other day. It's kinda gross but it gives me peace of mind I guess. Being super careful about the amount of water I use/reuse doing dishes too.

I know we're probably still screwed!

It's gotten warmer so I've upped my lawn watering from 3 days to 4 days a week.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If anyone can tell me how to read my water bill that would be great because I have no loving clue.

EDIT: Apparently an HCF is 748 gallons, so I used 14212 gallons last billing period. Cool.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

In more positive news, thanks to the Inland Empire, California is now the largest producer of solar energy, more then the other 49 states combined.

quote:

Boosted by the start-up of three large solar projects in Riverside and San Bernardino counties, California last year received more than 5 percent of its electricity from the sun, leaving the rest of country far behind in solar-power production.

California’s energy from its larger solar plants totaled more than all 49 other states combined, according to a report by the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

It was welcome news to state energy officials, though it was tempered by the report’s mention of drought-related declines in California’s production of hydroelectric power from its dams and reservoirs.

Still, the solar achievement is remarkable, said David Hochschild, a member of the California Energy Commission.

“I am pleased with where we are and I think we can improve on it quite a bit,” he said by telephone.

In the Inland deserts, three of the world’s largest solar plants began supplying power to the grid in late 2013 and early last year. These and other new projects added up to 62 percent increases in the state’s production for larger solar plants, according to the federal report.

All three plants were built on public land and were heavily subsidized by the Obama administration through a combination of tax credits and loan guarantees.

Neat.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

My wife is from Orange County and refuses to live in the desert so I'm basically screwed on that front. I'm trying to find some kind of reasonable medium.

Come to the Inland Empire! The only freeway out of the area partially collapsed yesterday because of rain and it took me 2 1/2 hours to get to work today!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Why does California have no motor vehicle inspections except for smog? I think it's crazy that as long as I'm not polluting, I can drive around on bald tires, nonexistent brake rotors, and other deathtrap stuff. I think the occasional government-mandated "should this car actually be on the road" check is a good thing.

I think the lack of any severe weather like snow or rain means we don't much as much importance on it as some other states.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Is an appointment at the DMV required to get a CA license if you moved in from out of state? They're telling me I have a limited amount of time to get a license and register my car, but I go to make an appointment and there's nothing for over a month.

That sounds about right. You can try multiple locations and see if there's one sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chinatown posted:

A few real cool brewpubs have opened up on the coast highway in Oceanside so it's getting better slowly. Oceanside is the western terminus of the 78 and the Sprinter light rail so you get a lot of weirdos from east/inland cities hanging around in the summer.

I had an exceptionally disheveled and intoxicated middle aged lady ask to borrow my phone at a gas station last weekend and that was confirmation that summer was officially here.

Can confirm that all the skeevies from San Bernardino ride the metrolink to the end of the line at Oceanside on the summer weekends.

$10 weekend pass is mighty temping.

• Locked thread