Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Brigdh posted:

I'm probably the target audience for this, or pretty close to it, and wanted to say that I found it easy to read. I think perhaps you want to briefly (like two sentences tops) describe what an edge guard is and why you'd want one (I know, seems self explanatory, but I'll admit I had to google it about 6 months ago to figure it all out since it wasn't 100% clear to me). I'd also recommend putting a good link to a basic resource on honing (particularly since you mention doing it every time the knives get used, ie it sounds important). Sure, everyone has probably seen some scene in a movie where a professional chef does it, but trying to imitate that seems like a good way for a newbie to damage their knives and themselves.

Thanks, I have corrected these things. Also, in that video Bob Kramer says you don't actually need to hone your knives every single time, so I've changed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
I made a terrible mistake, I don't hope.

I'm house sitting for my parents, and my dad always taught me about taking care of knives.

As a kid (teenager), I'd often chop up vegetables for him. Not for the main course, no, he'd always do that himself, I just got the salad. That's how proud he is.

And when I moved out, all I wanted, more than anything else, more than money or appliances or baggies of herbs, it was a knife. And, when I moved out, I got it! A gorgeous knife. Good for meat, good for veges. Not more than 16 cm, not less either, and not too heavy. A good general purpose knife. Meat and vegetables just part before it, after a year I haven't even needed to sharpen it yet.

So I'm house sitting for my dad, with his ridiculously sharp knives, each of them the very definition of keen. Oh, more than that, my dad's knives define the meaning on "keen". Sure I can use his, he doesn't mind, what I'm worried about is MINE. And it's at home! With scumbags I wouldn't trust with a bag of poo poo, much less a piece of steel that needs gentle care.

Hey, E/N for a moment. What's a couple of thousand dollars worth? Not just my knife, but actual me-paying-the-rent-and-them-not-paying-me? Just asking, hypothetically.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IronClaymore posted:

I made a terrible mistake, I don't hope.

I'm house sitting for my parents, and my dad always taught me about taking care of knives.

As a kid (teenager), I'd often chop up vegetables for him. Not for the main course, no, he'd always do that himself, I just got the salad. That's how proud he is.

And when I moved out, all I wanted, more than anything else, more than money or appliances or baggies of herbs, it was a knife. And, when I moved out, I got it! A gorgeous knife. Good for meat, good for veges. Not more than 16 cm, not less either, and not too heavy. A good general purpose knife. Meat and vegetables just part before it, after a year I haven't even needed to sharpen it yet.

So I'm house sitting for my dad, with his ridiculously sharp knives, each of them the very definition of keen. Oh, more than that, my dad's knives define the meaning on "keen". Sure I can use his, he doesn't mind, what I'm worried about is MINE. And it's at home! With scumbags I wouldn't trust with a bag of poo poo, much less a piece of steel that needs gentle care.

Hey, E/N for a moment. What's a couple of thousand dollars worth? Not just my knife, but actual me-paying-the-rent-and-them-not-paying-me? Just asking, hypothetically.

Are you having a stroke?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So you're torn between using your dad's knives and retrieving your own?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

guppy posted:

No one has written a new OP and I don't really consider myself enough of an authority to do it myself, but I took a crack at a proposal for the "I'm just starting out" section. Feel free to use, modify, or discard entirely. Please also fact-check as needed, I do not know much about knife hardness and the like, and despite owning at least three different sharpening systems, I know almost nothing about knife sharpening. All of this is original but I used the current OP as a reference for some of it. It contains a lot of the same information but hopefully has some clearer information for complete newcomers.

this looks pretty good to me

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

guppy posted:

I don't have any kitchen knives. What knives should I get?

There are lots of specialty options and you can get really far down the rabbit hole, but if you are just starting out, the answer is to buy an affordable chef's knife and paring knife. The go-to options for these are the Victorinox 8" Chef's Knife ($30-35) and whatever paring knife you want. Victorinox also sells a 3.25" paring knife and it is perfectly fine if you aren't sure what to get. They are $6 and I own four of them.

I've had other knives and these are ridiculously fantastic for the price. I have both and the longer I use them, the more they get used over other knives.

I haven't used them but have heard the Dexter Russell knives are equally good and are sold in probably every kitchen supply in America.
https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-P94802-Basics-Handle/dp/B0015AFZ7W/

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007
I recently bought a Global 8 inch chefs knife that was half price off. I know I probably should have asked before I impulsively bought it but did I make a good choice?

I heard they had a decent reputation

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I dropped my knife and it chipped on the edge of a pot I had in my sink. I'm going to call Shun tomorrow and see if it's covered under warranty but I doubt it. If they'll do it for a fee I'll go with them since, obviously, they'll do the best with their knife.

There's no local place I can take it but I found this place online and I'm going to call and see if they'll let me mail it in. Anyone have experience with them?

http://www.vulcanknife.com/

I guess I'm going to have to buy a cheap chef's knife from Walmart for the week or two I don't have a knife. :(

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I dropped my knife and it chipped on the edge of a pot I had in my sink. I'm going to call Shun tomorrow and see if it's covered under warranty but I doubt it. If they'll do it for a fee I'll go with them since, obviously, they'll do the best with their knife.

There's no local place I can take it but I found this place online and I'm going to call and see if they'll let me mail it in. Anyone have experience with them?

http://www.vulcanknife.com/

I guess I'm going to have to buy a cheap chef's knife from Walmart for the week or two I don't have a knife. :(

Where are you located?

Japanese Knife Imports - California - https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/pages/services#knife-sharpening-services

Korin - New York - http://www.korin.com/Services/Sharpening-Repair

Japanese Knife Sharpening - Pennsylvania - http://www.japaneseknifesharpening.com/index.html

Seattle Knife Sharpening - https://www.seattleknifesharpening.com/

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007
I think shun have lifetime sharpening right?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Panadol posted:

I think shun have lifetime sharpening right?

yep
https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/warranty

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

Panadol posted:

I recently bought a Global 8 inch chefs knife that was half price off. I know I probably should have asked before I impulsively bought it but did I make a good choice?

im not a fan of global. imo they are way too light. theyre also super thin and uncomfortable in my had, plus they look really bad after a few months of use.

then again i am an outlier in this thread as i like the thicker, heavier, german-style knives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Panadol posted:

Global is polarizing. The main gripe people have is the handle, some people love it and some people don't. In my experience more people hate Globals than love them, but the ones who love them really love them. The construction of their knives is good other than the handle. If you like the handle and it's comfortable for you, I would say your choice was fine.

It's been a week or two and no one has made the new thread, so I guess I will do it: Kitchen Knives 2.0.

• Locked thread