Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have the gihei hap40 santoku from cktg which is super thin, light, and a good knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That's fine, it's just that some of that internet drama has extended beyond the internet to hurt other people and companies and a lot of it is straight lies, stuff like Konosuke being fake chinese knives because they are sold by CKTG. Neither side can really be trusted but I have had good experiences with CKTG and that is more important to me than stuff I can't confirm either way.

Got a link? I'd be interested in reading it. I'm pretty sure the worst thing I read someone say about the HD/HD2 was that it was over hyped and not worth the current asking price.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Scott808 posted:

Got a link? I'd be interested in reading it. I'm pretty sure the worst thing I read someone say about the HD/HD2 was that it was over hyped and not worth the current asking price.

Nah, no links, this stuff is from like 5-6 years ago. I think the site owner erased all of it so all I saw was from screen captures. Basically the owner of another Japanese knife importer was an admin on the other forum and used that to spread a lot of nasty poo poo about CKTG and those old rumors still turn up from time to time, that included him and a lot of forum goers of the time defaming Kanehiro because they were sold on CKTG and were really hot at the time. There were also forum invasions of the CKTG forums, then retaliations. Eventually the other admins and Mark from CKTG talked to each other and the other owner lost admin privileges and people were told to stop spreading lies about Mark/CKTG/brands sold on CKTG. I know talking about the old feud was a bannable offense for a while on the CKTG forum. I asked Mark about the whole thing once on CKTG and he did not want to talk about it, I don't really blame him though, it would be like asking Lowtax about LF or Helldump, he'd probably tell you to gently caress off and ban you.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

There is plenty of wisdom in not dwelling too much in the subjects where internet spergdom goes to another level like guns, tools, official gaming forums and kitchen knives

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
So after going back and forth between crazy expensive knives I decided to save my money, go with a set of three Tojiro DP (240 Gyuto, 80 paring, Nakiri) and the Epicurious/SE recommended Tojiro $25 bread knife and put the extra cash into other kitchen equipment. I'm not familiar enough with high quality Japanese knives and don't have good enough knife skills to warrant a $200+ gyuto when for $180 I got all four of the knives I need to replace my Victorinox/Cutco mashup collection. Maybe in the future I'll round it out with some HRC62+ handmade poo poo, but for now the extra money I had budgeted for knives went into a Le Creuset 3.75qt Brasier that I found half off at an outlet, plus a nice set of Schott Zweisel wine glasses.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Nah, no links, this stuff is from like 5-6 years ago. I think the site owner erased all of it so all I saw was from screen captures. Basically the owner of another Japanese knife importer was an admin on the other forum and used that to spread a lot of nasty poo poo about CKTG and those old rumors still turn up from time to time, that included him and a lot of forum goers of the time defaming Kanehiro because they were sold on CKTG and were really hot at the time. There were also forum invasions of the CKTG forums, then retaliations. Eventually the other admins and Mark from CKTG talked to each other and the other owner lost admin privileges and people were told to stop spreading lies about Mark/CKTG/brands sold on CKTG. I know talking about the old feud was a bannable offense for a while on the CKTG forum. I asked Mark about the whole thing once on CKTG and he did not want to talk about it, I don't really blame him though, it would be like asking Lowtax about LF or Helldump, he'd probably tell you to gently caress off and ban you.

Maybe Mark has more bad blood with more people than I'm aware of, because the details of that story don't quite match the one I was thinking of. Yeesh.

TheQuietWilds posted:

So after going back and forth between crazy expensive knives I decided to save my money, go with a set of three Tojiro DP (240 Gyuto, 80 paring, Nakiri) and the Epicurious/SE recommended Tojiro $25 bread knife and put the extra cash into other kitchen equipment. I'm not familiar enough with high quality Japanese knives and don't have good enough knife skills to warrant a $200+ gyuto when for $180 I got all four of the knives I need to replace my Victorinox/Cutco mashup collection. Maybe in the future I'll round it out with some HRC62+ handmade poo poo, but for now the extra money I had budgeted for knives went into a Le Creuset 3.75qt Brasier that I found half off at an outlet, plus a nice set of Schott Zweisel wine glasses.

IME any of the Tojiro DP gyutos longer than the 210 are quite lovely performers in stock form. Maybe it's just me, maybe mine just happened to be poor examples of the DP line, but whatever it was, I wouldn't be able to live with the performance of the 240 or 270 DP as they come from the factory.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scott808 posted:

There's a guy on a different forum who had a Kohetsu HAP40 who bought it because the CKTG forum said it was pretty much the best thing ever and he said it turned out to be the worst knife he ever bought, it cut like crap and had several issues and CKTG wasn't interested in any after sales support.

this is my experience and opinion with all chefknifetogo poo poo

I will never buy another thing from them, and pity anyone who does.

just get a knife and stop "researching". use it. learn how to sharpen it. if you don't like it, get another. it's a tool, not a sperglord implement.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

mindphlux posted:

just get a knife and stop "researching". use it. learn how to sharpen it. if you don't like it, get another. it's a tool, not a sperglord implement.

To be fair to CKTG, I thought you didn't like JCK/Koki (the chipped edge on a tortilla chip incident), or is this a different thing?

And in fairness to JCK/Koki, my own experiences with him have been pretty good. There's a guy who says he asks Koki to measure all kinds of poo poo for him on possible purchases and Koki does so; that seems like fairly above normal service. While I haven't asked Koki to measure things for me, I did ask that he check something out before he shipped a knife I bought from him. He sent me a picture of the knife so I could decide for myself.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

mindphlux posted:

Dude, you keep making this mistake, you are thinking of JCK, not CKTG, to quote yourself from a few pages back:

mindphlux posted:

whoops, you are absolutely right.

sorry for being an idiot. edited my post. have never used CKTG, so no beefs there.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Dude, you keep making this mistake, you are thinking of JCK, not CKTG, to quote yourself from a few pages back:

I'm coming to believe this is a rare and incredibly specific kind of dyslexia on mindphlux's part.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I've bought a pile of knives from both sites over the years and haven't had any issues with any of them :shrug:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It is taking every ounce of my self control to not purchase that Takamura Migaki R2 210mm gyuto.

I still might give in

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Taima posted:

It is taking every ounce of my self control to not purchase that Takamura Migaki R2 210mm gyuto.

I still might give in

Just so you know it can sometimes take upwards of a year for new stock to come in after they sell out, if new stock comes in at all.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
In the end I was easily convinced and, in fact, bought the thing. Thanks for your recommendations.

:shepspends:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Taima posted:

In the end I was easily convinced and, in fact, bought the thing. Thanks for your recommendations.

:shepspends:

I'm glad we could help you out, let us know how it is. :)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Scott808 posted:

There's a guy on a different forum who had a Kohetsu HAP40 who bought it because the CKTG forum said it was pretty much the best thing ever and he said it turned out to be the worst knife he ever bought, it cut like crap and had several issues and CKTG wasn't interested in any after sales support.

Never used it myself, so I have no opinion either way on the knife.

The Kohetsu HAP40 is a good knife. Some people that buy expensive knives don't know how to care for them. See: my old exec chef. Thousands in knives, couldn't keep his poo poo sharp to save his life.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Yond Cassius posted:

I'm coming to believe this is a rare and incredibly specific kind of dyslexia on mindphlux's part.

sorry for being an idiot. edited my post. have never used CKTG, so no beefs there.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
whoops, you ar

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
wh

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Oh, hey, seven new posts I wond- :yikes:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Nice meltdown

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You having a posting issue, Mindphlux?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My inlaws got me a 9 inch Kiya chromol stainless European style knife from Japan. I don't know much about the company but holy poo poo does it look and feel nice.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 14, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So I'm going to finally get around to using my knock off edge pro this week and I'm not sure which grit and angle I should start with.

My knives don't have any chips but they are dulled. One is a Victorinox fibre and the other is a wusthof classic.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

So I'm going to finally get around to using my knock off edge pro this week and I'm not sure which grit and angle I should start with.

My knives don't have any chips but they are dulled. One is a Victorinox fibre and the other is a wusthof classic.

I recommend 15 degrees per side or you just match the bevel that the knife already has, to match the bevel just put some sharpie on the bevel and adjust the angle until the stone takes off the sharpie across the whole width of the bevel. Start with your low grit stone and work the entire edge evenly until you get a burr on the other side of the edge, if you run your fingers downwards, away from the spine of the knife and over the edge you will feel a scraping which is the burr. Once you have a burr on the entire length of the edge you switch to the other side of the knife and build a burr again, then switch sides and repeat except with the next higher grit stone. When you build your final burr instead of building a burr again you should deburr the edge by running the stone down the entire length of the edge, scraping outwards towards the edge only, once you cannot feel a bur on either side of the edge I like to increase the angle slightly and do a couple outwards strokes on each side to avoid wire edge. Also remember to keep your stones wet, don't soak them but keep them damp and wipe the blade between stones, the water floats the metal filings off the stone and keeps the stone from getting clogged with them.

Good luck! :)

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Seriously considering investing in a decent nakiri knife as all I prep are vegetables and I think it'll fit my cutting style a bit better... what's the go-to choice under $150 these days? Was considering the Shun but the first page of OP basically tears the brand apart. I poked through some of this thread and looked at the choices on CNTG but got a bit overwhelmed with how many options there are.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

emotive posted:

Seriously considering investing in a decent nakiri knife as all I prep are vegetables and I think it'll fit my cutting style a bit better... what's the go-to choice under $150 these days? Was considering the Shun but the first page of OP basically tears the brand apart. I poked through some of this thread and looked at the choices on CNTG but got a bit overwhelmed with how many options there are.

For $144 they have some Tanaka VG-10 Nakiris in stock at CKTG, Tanaka does some really nice knives so I think that would be a good choice. There are some decent Tojiros too if you want to get in at a lower cost. I would also look at Santokus, the point on those can be useful for some vegetables.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

For $144 they have some Tanaka VG-10 Nakiris in stock at CKTG, Tanaka does some really nice knives so I think that would be a good choice. There are some decent Tojiros too if you want to get in at a lower cost. I would also look at Santokus, the point on those can be useful for some vegetables.

I'll look into some more santokus, too. I saw that Kenji raved about the Misono UX10... I have a Wustoff Classic santoku right now and really dislike using it. I have decent sized hands so the thin, sharp edged handles make it really awkward and uncomfortable to use. I always go back to my Victorinox.

You bring up a good point in that it might not be a bad idea to go for that or even something a gyoto since it seems like a better general use knife... for things like mincing garlic and herbs I can't see a nakiri working well.

emotive fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 25, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

emotive posted:

I'll look into some more santokus as well. I saw that Kenji raved about the Misono UX10 Santoku... I have a classic Wustoff one right now and really dislike using it. The handle is really thin and has no weight to it so it's uncomfortable for me to use for cutting anything besides soft stuff like tomatoes... If that's a normal design feature of that style knife I might be better off just getting a better quality chef's knife.

The Misonos are very over priced, mostly because a lot of cooking magazines raved about them a few years back and the price just about doubled. The Wusthof knives are very different from the japanese knives, you really should not take them as representative of any japanese knife. Though you mention not liking the lightness of the knife and japanese knives are even lighter than anything you'll find in the west so I'm not sure if you want a heavier knife or you just think a heavier knife would be more comfortable? With japanese knives they generally they try to keep the knife very light with the balance point slightly forward of the handle. You are supposed to grip the knife with your thumb and fore finger gripping the blade just ahead of the handle and the other three fingers wrapped around the forward part of the handle, I find japanese style handles very comfortable when used this way, though they are also very comfortable in other grips because they fill the hand well. Maybe you don't like the Wusthof because of the thinness of the handle?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I wasn't a big fan of my Wustoff Classic santoku either. The edge didn't really hold. Do you like chopping, pushing or rocking? That's what will matter most.

I grabbed the Tojiro white #2 one and if you can deal with carbon it's very nice, cheap, and the tip is generously rounded to allow a rocking mince. It is weighted for a pinch grip but a bit more hefty than other Japanese knives I have. I did have to straighten the edge a bit out of the box. The VG-10 shuns are over priced but I think the pro series are blue#2 and have different ergonomics (still expensive).

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshna161.html

If you want something more hefty you can always email mark and ask which nakiri is heaviest (probably a western handle). Look for "workhorse" in descriptions or their forum as well.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

emotive posted:

I'll look into some more santokus, too. I saw that Kenji raved about the Misono UX10... I have a Wustoff Classic santoku right now and really dislike using it. I have decent sized hands so the thin, sharp edged handles make it really awkward and uncomfortable to use. I always go back to my Victorinox.

You bring up a good point in that it might not be a bad idea to go for that or even something a gyoto since it seems like a better general use knife... for things like mincing garlic and herbs I can't see a nakiri working well.

I love my nakiri for herbs, partially because it has very little belly to the majority of the blade so it scoops well when you're done chopping. Mine has enough of a rounded tip to the front that you can still rock it a bit too.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I am going to be staying in Chicago for a few months so I thought I might buy a new paring knife (and possibly a chefs knife to go with it). What is a good beginner friendly paring knife?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Get this one imo: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/suhowh1pe15.html

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

nervana posted:

I am going to be staying in Chicago for a few months so I thought I might buy a new paring knife (and possibly a chefs knife to go with it). What is a good beginner friendly paring knife?
The only paring knife I haven't retroactively hated since getting a Dojo paring knife is the Dojo paring knife.
That's not a paring knife.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I don't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'll admit, the wusthof santoku I owned didn't really hold much of an edge either.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 13, 2017

• Locked thread