Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just bought a 240mm Tojiro DP Gyuto from Amazon for $80, $20 cheaper than chefknivestogo.com.

I don't have a MAG BLOK or space to put it, so I'm gonna need to keep it in a drawer/cabinet. What do I need to buy to protect the blade? Also, do I need to buy a honing steel while I'm at it? Which one?

Also, what use would a paring/petty knife be? As it is I never really use anything but a chef's knife. I don't eat potatoes for example do I don't ever peel them (and when I need to I have a peeler).

The most common application I have for a paring knife is cutting the innards out of a bell pepper. Second most is for deboning small stuff, I have a pretty tough paring knife (probably actually a boning knife but w/e).

You can do this with a kitchen knife, but it's not as quick in my hands to skip out using a smaller blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

rockcity posted:

Maybe they've gotten better recently then. This was about 4 years ago when I bought them. It was a spatula, a turner and a serving spoon. Both the spatula and the turner melted on probably the second use and the handle on the spoon broke after about a month. I swore off buying their kitchen gear after that.

Sorry for the derail, but I've at least gotten excellent use out of their salad bowls, dishes and glasses for years now, especially for the price they can't be beat. 16pc dinnerware set for maybe $20 bucks, solid white and haven't had one chip or break in well over 2 years now using them daily.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Any opinions of Sugimoto knives? I had a friend pick me up this guy: http://www.sugimoto-hamono.com/e/sfrench/i02_gyu.html
when they were visiting Japan and I'm wondering what people think of them.

I love using it for everything but bone-in meats, it has held an edge well but the blade is very thin so I don't even dream of cutting anything that might have a hard bone in it for fear of dinging it up. Anyway, it's been nice for me but feels like if I looked at it wrong I would break it.

The blade does knick up pretty easy due to its thinness but I was able to get them out easily with a pair of stones also. I had kept the knife in a box and told the roommates not to use it then came home one day after a party and found that they had used the knife to cut up stuff in/through/on tinfoil??? and I could see nicks all over the edge. We do not live together anymore.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

This is an awesome derail :tfrxmas:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Massasoit posted:

So I've been keeping tabs on this thread and over Christmas got a knife block (which makes me feel very fancy) and a 6" utility knife. Along with the utility knife I have a 6" santoku, 2 pairing knives, and whatever this is: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Giada_De_Laurentiis_branded_Mezzaluna_Knife.JPG

I have quite a few slots left in my knife block and I was wondering if there were any type of knife in particular that is missing in my collection that would be useful to have. I also picked up a nice honing steel from a consignment shop, which I was pretty excited about. Any suggestions for what I should add to my collection, with a sub $50 budget?

edit: I feel like I should have a Chef's knife, are there any good ones within my budget?

The Victrionox Fibrox 8" should be within your budget.

I have a 10" and it feels like a drat sword. Bigger than I thought. The 8" would be great for lots of applications and is cheap / beloved by goons.

Edit: And yeah, sounds like having a good serrated and/or bread knife would be a good pickup to complement what you have.

• Locked thread