Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

porcellus posted:

Holy poo poo, I don't want to be that guy but, that thing is really overpriced and complicated. It only reaches 1000 grit. A jet or tormek wet grinder is around the same price. If you want to go insane, buy one of those natural japanese wet stones they mine for a couple thousand.

Faux pros (the fake version of the edge-pro you can get on ebay) are not horribly priced and stones for it go fairly high (30k), I personally don't use it but they seem decent if you just can't do a proper edge, but you are being that guy, when I originally made the post I made it with the price for edge-pro instead of faux pro.

I do agree about the tone of my post being wrong for the OP though.

porcellus posted:

Woodworkers are more fanatical than cooks with knives about their chisels and handplanes so there's a lot of resources there. I haven't kept up with the latest stuff but a year back lee valley started selling films of diamond sheets. Pretty cool but expensive considering you can buy a gram of the pure stuff for just as much as a sheet. Here's Chistopher Schwartz with one

Leonard Lee on his "The Complete Guide to Sharpening" warns against using diamond plate for harder metals because the dust tended to embed itself on the edge itself. I am not sure if this is just outdated info because of some new diamond plating methods or it still applies, this was strictly for diamond bonded to a plate. - This was a false statement, I was completely mis-remembering something, see porcellus' reply below.

deimos fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Not enough love for Dexter-Russell or Lamson Sharp in this thread either. I feel that if you're going to go for softer steel you might as well go Dexter-Russell, I'd almost recommend them over Fibrox. Caveat: I haven't owned a Dexter in a while so my remembrance of their quality might be skewed.

If their quality hasn't shifted for the bad in recent years I'd almost say put D-R's Sani-Safe as a low-end alternative for everything.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Not just the agitation from the water, the hot prolonged exposure to that water and all that ish in there is just awful awful awful for handles, both wood and plastic. If you have carbon knives, it's even worse for the steel. tl;dr dishwashering your knives means you are worse than Hitler. :godwin:

Except for Fibrox/Sani-*, those handles can go through commercial dishwashers IIRC.

deimos fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 3, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

porcellus posted:

I have this book. No where does he say this. Softer metals such as copper and tin are used for as a lapidary plate and charged with abrasive powder for the very reason that diamonds will embed themselves onto it.

Then I stand corrected. Going back to the book I am now pretty certain I am mis-remembering the source of the statement, but I can't remember where I read it or if it was a good source to begin with.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

mmartinx posted:

If anyone's looking for a good set that comes with 6 steak knives there's a great set on cutleryandmore that's pretty reasonable. It's nice because there aren't really any filler knives that I don't use, I also had a global 7" chef's knife that I picked up at the W&S outlet for like $30 a couple weeks ago that fits into the block as well.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/global/bamboo-knife-block-set-p121847

Something like that a la carte would probably cost $300 more.

Just took a look at this link (it was Global so I didn't pay much attention to it) and noticed one thing: The drat steak knives are not serrated.

Unless you use paper/plastic dinnerware those knives are gonna need a weekly sharpening, as a general rule you want serrated edges for regular use steak knives (I mean you could get some really fancy non-serrated for your really fancy parties and have your butler sharpen them after every use) but a smooth edge on glass is a recipe for blunt edges.

Begin holy war about serrated vs. smooth edge on a piece of meat you're about to chew in your mouth in 3... 2... 1... :supaburn:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

mmartinx posted:

They're serrated. You can even see it in the picture.

I missed the separation on my cellphone, sorry. I was using it as an example of what, in my opinion, is a bad idea regarding steak knives, in this case a bad example because they ARE serrated.

You can pry my Henckels stainless steak knives from my cold dead hands though, love those things, and they look nice to boot, a bit pricey for steak knives but very nice looking.

mmartinx posted:

That's like the no homo of the knife thread, it's ok bro, I still think you're a good cook even though you looked at globals on the internet

No, it's a personal choice thing, I can't stand Global grips, beside the fact that I find them somewhat overpriced for what is essentially VG-10 (but that deal you linked to wasn't too horrible price-wise). And I am a terrible cook and I know it.

deimos fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 7, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Fo3 posted:

Just for comparison does your phone app say about the same? Does it read 18deg to be about midway between the green and red markers?
My phone is a 8250, it has no apps. :shrug:

Accelerometers are innacurate as poo poo:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/tools/4308358

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

What's the likelihood that someone has tried this knife before: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Masamori-Masamori-Sujihiki-270-mm-/281057104263?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41704f1187

Seems way too good too be true to me. Shirogami sujihiki for 64bux? :/

I know that ebay Japanese knives are generally unbranded OEM knives that get sold to other vendors to make up some of their product line (the Gekko -> JCK, Togiharu, etc is an example) but this looks like no other knife I've seen from any other manufacturer. It's probably SK4 or something labelled as shiro.

The guy seems to have a crapload of positive reviews, and the way he labels his items I doubt he gets anything but people that might recognise the japanese knife names and would probably understand what qualifies as a good purchase when they get it. I am very tempted to bite for :science:.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

woooo! Moritaka is christened...with the blood of its master. That tip is brutal. Just barely nicked my pinky with it while slicing up some chicken.

Blood for the Knife God.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

gobboboy posted:

Yeah, I have an 8" currently so I guess I'll stick with that. Glad to hear sharpening would go just as easy. I'm pretty happy with the price but I guess that has to do with only 16 damascus layers. Thanks guys!

I really wish people would stop calling pattern welding "damascus", it's loving dumb.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Unrelated, or is it?, but the 8" kiwi cleaver has a really great balance for throwing.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

This is zenlike use of a Deba and a sujihiki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltEqIXxBoxg

Is it sad I thought "I wonder what that tool he's using to scrape the meat off the bones is called" before realising it's a spoon?

Also I read an article that describes' Tojiro's "Western Style Deba" as a heavier Gyuto, so that might be something to try if you consider Gyuto's too "light".

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 5, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

A deba should be single beveled, though, so in practice, it's quite different. Also, debas top out at where gyutos start in terms of length (around 180mm) so the geometry will be quite different when used.

If you really like knifezen videos, check out itasan http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj_bzwy94nk9ZJwGruMz4Zg

Their "western style" Deba are double bevel and get upto 240mm, that's why I mentioned them.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Yeah Miyabis are actually from a Japanese OEM they bought recently IIRC.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

If it's a smooth steel hone it's fine, if it has ridges it'll dull your knife more than it'll help (if you got a pair of tojiros it might be better to use the spine of one to hone the other).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Do flutes count as ridges? The only hone we currently have is a fluted one that was part of "babby chef's first knife set" (a cheapish set we bought the kid so if he screwed up a knife on accident it wouldn't be a $100+ loss), and now I'm worried that even that hone could be loving the knives up worse than not honing (not that he uses it all that often, to be fair, but just curious).

Or is it OK for a cheap set of Sabatier knives that he'll replace with real working tools if/when he goes into culinary school?

It's fine for softer steels, but when you put a razor's edge on a really hard steel a bad hone can do more harm than good.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Good loving god, every time I see a Don Nguyen knife I wish I was made of money.

This is his latest:
http://www.donnguyenknives.com/paring-with-sapele.html

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

yeah Tojiro DPs forever.

and ask and ye shall receive :v:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-GE...=item4d131761eb

GODDAMNIT GRAVITY I DO NOT NEED MORE KNIVES. Why do you do this to me?

The GEKKO VG10 Damascus is also very pretty.

Edit: Ok I guess I need a new slicer, a very pretty slicer.

deimos fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 29, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I've never re-handled a knife before.

From what was explained to me when I had my brother's knife made, replacing a wa handle is not as easy, at least the first time because the handle often gets hammered into very hot tang which will often bend out of shape inside the handle, so rehandling might be more involved than just replacing a piece of wood.

But some other handles (specially some american bladesmiths) use a strong epoxy to glue the handle to the knife which would make the replacement easier.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

nwin posted:

Another question on the stones.

What is the difference between these two? Both seem to be the splash with water and start sharpening type:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shgl10gr.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shpro10.html

Pros are more expensive usually because they are a big block of ceramic, the glasstone are half ceramic half glass (so they are the right size but cheaper).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Oh my, a 27cm 13C26 Bread Knife for $55

I mean, it's a bread knife, but it's so purty and only $5 more than a similar fibrox.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Going that fine on those soft steels is probably unnecessary, I'd just get a DMT DuoSharp and call it a day. Coarse/Fine is probably good for reprofiling/sharpening soft steels. Having a coarser side will help if you ever nick an edge.

e: And a link as an example.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Also in regards to the CCK small cleaver, is it objectively really good or just really good for $60? My next knife splurge was likely going to be a one of the Konosuke nakiris or a nakiri of similiar quality, if the CCK small cleaver is really that amazing I might consider picking one up in the short term and moving the nakiri to the back of the wish list.

To borrow from SubG:

SubG posted:

Tojiros are really good bang for the buck, yeah. They used to be even better before the prices started to creep up and, apparently, they started having quality control problems. If it was me I'd probably spend the extra for a Moritaka, which is going to be substantially more than a Tojiro but is a hell of a deal for a handmade kitchen knife.

That said, in actual practice I virtually never use a yanagi, because cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver cleaver.

(not sure if his is CCK, but mine is)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Jarmak posted:

That doesn't really answer my question though because a nakiri is essentially the Japanese version of the same thing (vegetable cleaver)

I don't think you understand a CCK, it's a chef's knife replacement, a workhorse, a butcher of chickens, a testament of flexibility of duty, a Deus Ex knife, not some namby pamby knife you use to dice your baby boy choi and take to Sunday school dressed in pretty outfits.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Personally I would go for good petty and lovely shears.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

No Wave posted:

Got it, makes sense now. I always get my fingers dirty scraping all the green out of the skins so I've just been using my fingats but that sounds cool.

Have you heard the gospel of our Lord and Savior spoon?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Speaking of Debas and technique videos, I am not 100% this is perfect technique but I love this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cmMvH-auWs

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

electricmonk500 posted:

Edit: It also occurred to me that one of the main gripes people have with globals here is that they're overpriced compared to some other knives that are just as good as far as materials, manufacturing etc. but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, that's the main beef. Global's knives are not bad per-se, their geometry and ergonomics are not for everyone, their materials are pretty good, but they are way overpriced.

black.lion, try asking your friend why he wants globals, if it's because of the sharpness then there are alternatives, if it's because of the grip/ergonomics/weight/geometry then there may or may not be alternatives we can recommend, if he says it's a perfect combination of grip/ergo/weight/geo/sharpness then there's nothing you will do to change his mind.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

black.lion posted:

If I were to replace this knife sometime in the future, is there a shape of knife that is more suited to that sort of movement?

Chinese cleaver will accomodate this motion rather well if I am understanding your description properly.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Left my Tojiro DP chef's at my brother's accidentally... he returns it with a chip.... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

gently caress it, gonna gift it to him chip and all, I've been CCK convert for a while now.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Was the chip too big to grind off?

No, it's easily fixable, but gently caress it, he'll think it's a proper gift for his birthday, I may even fix it before I give it to him.

It's just like I said, I don't use gyutos over CCK now.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Transmetropolitan posted:

As in, these blades only have a sprinkle of the stuff in their edges, but they are mostly made with an average steel.

Ding ding ding. This is exactly it, a carbide coating. The coating tells you nothing of the actual steel below the coating. If it's a high hardness steel it'll tend to be brittle and you will get a nick, as soon as you fix that nick, guess what, no more carbide. If it's a soft steel then regular honing and sharpening will do the same.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

revdrkevind posted:

Honestly all the still-doing-door-to-door-sales companies are. Pretending not to be home is a good bet.

That said. I know households that have used Cutco knives for decades and swear by them. Often times, these people are former slaves themselves, but a comparison to Avon or etc isn't bad. The knives aren't good, they're not a value, but they're not total crap either. Get a utility knife, shears, steak knives, or whatever and they will serve you well. Should you get an actual chef's knife from them? Bwahahano.

They are actually crap knives. Don't do any of that, just buy a spreader and shears. It's the go-to "I want to help but gently caress off with your crap knives" item, they even have a set!

http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=1851&ref=cs#.VBMSaC5dUn0

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

rockcity posted:

My mom has a set of Gingher that she only uses for sewing and she's been using them for probably 30 years. They are sharp as hell.

Having accidentally cut myself at least once with the Gingher I gifted my mom 10 years ago, I can attest to this.

Two more amazing brands are Shozaburo and Kai. Shozaburo are what the suit maker I go to uses, he has been using the same pair for at least 40 years.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Pile of Kittens posted:

Sorry I didn't make it perfectly clear, but I thought it was obvious since I'm posting here and not just buying a pair of lovely Fiskars at the fabric store - I'm past the weekend crafting level of things. I'm a part time tailor and this is a career investment. Shozaburos look amazing! Great ergonomics.

Ginghers are 100% not "lovely Fiskars" they are made for and used by pros, and a decent set of Ginghers will run you the same as a single Shozaburo.

I mean Shozaburos are katana steel motherfuckers (shirogami #1 iirc) but do you really need them for a starter over say a 12" Gingher?

In other news, I thought this toolset from the opening of "Chef" was pretty :black101:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

What the gently caress is this, I just saw that the cutcos are recommended on http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Knife_Guide

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

ok I've sharpened a bunch of knives and while it's not always the simplest thing to deal with, it's relatively foolproof and holy hell are these babies sharp.

I need to try re profiling a shun next. I assume I will start with the gray stone.

Thanks for the rec! My wife described the paring knife I sharpened as "amazing."

Now hack your edge pro knockoff with the spring mod and the drill collar mod.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The big problem with the edge faux stones can be the backing, you can buy flat bar steel off of Amazon ($10 for 36" or so, cheaper if you buy it local) cut it into 6 inch pieces and contact cement the stone to it when the plastic backing fails on your faux pro stones.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Isn't 200mm kinda short for a chef's knife?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

Slight devil's advocate - yes you can use that sharpener. It won't get you the sharpest edge, and it will significantly shorten the lifespan of your knife (but you probably won't notice from ordinary household use). It's better to use a crappy sharpener and have a reasonably sharp knife all the time, rather than buy a stone & hone you never use and have dull knives that could slip and cut you.

Counterpoint: no.

Pull through sharpeners tend to:
- nick brittle steels
- gently caress grind angles
- not sharpen that well anyways

If you don't want to, or can't for various reasons, use a traditional stone+hone get a faux pro for $30.

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Leroy Diplowski posted:

From the description the tojiro western deba appears to be more of a western chef's knife than an actual deba. I did just dismantle a few striped bass, but I use an electric knife for that.

240mm Western Deba: 15.8oz
240mm Gyuto: 9.4oz

The Western Deba is (almost literally) a Gyuto + Cladding for weight. I just...

• Locked thread