Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jarmak posted:

Cross posting this because I missed that there was a dedicated knife thread, currently own a Konosuke HD2 24cm wa-Gyuto, along with a bunch of cheap knives, looking to bring my poo poo knife quality up as a backstop and build a fell set of Konosukes to be my primary knives (at some point the Wusthofs will be solely for guests or when I'm doing something particularly abusive to the knife).
Any Williams Sanoma or like store will have Wustofs, ask to try them out. If you'll be replacing them the feel is far more important than if the steel is amazing (I'm happy with mine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Koivunen posted:

I am aware of using proper technique, my friend who originally introduced me to nice knives is a sous chef and has taught me some skills. I've also looked into it myself. Not saying I'm an expert or anything but I know the basics.

My question came from the fact that the amazon reviews I was reading seemed to include both "I am a chef" or "I have a lot of experience" followed by "I cut myself a lot" and "it's scary sharp." The review with the worst injury came from a guy who brought it to his work in a kitchen and the head chef was using it and cut the palm of his hand deep enough that fat was coming out.

It just seemed surprising that so many reviews were from people who claim to be experienced but end up cutting themselves. Obviously the more time you spend using a knife the more likely you are to get a cut, but it was strange how many of the reviews were about getting cut from people who should have good technique. It just seemed weird.

Anyway thanks for the advice, I will look into the stuff that was linked!
I got my parents a 10" Shun because all their knives loving sucked. Mother (who cooks) was so used to dull rear end knives that she sliced her finger/palm like 4 times and cut father once somehow.

After a few weeks those cuts stopped, and a few years later the knife is now dull.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

mmm that cucumber looks good. I bet it's from the midwest. Take it, take it to your mouth.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you have a store near you that'll let you try out different knives that's the best way to find if something else will fit your hand better.

For a pull through sharpener, yes, only being awesome for 1-2 uses may be normal. If you go back 5 or less pages you'll see a bunch of discussion about pull throughs and why they are not optimal. You want to hone to adjust/set the edge before each use and use a sharpener (hopefully stones in the future) to redefine the edge.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Shun's attempts to re-shape a knife that's had a bit of it's tip broken off? Less than two loving weeks after getting a new knife it got jostled off my loving cutting board and onto the goddamn floor, and nearly 1/8" of the loving tip got snapped the gently caress off. This isn't covered by warranty, but they say they are happy to attempt to re-shape the blade, and I'm wondering it it's worth sending it to them and risking it being irrecoverably altered, or if I should just use it as is, since the rest of it isn't damaged.
when I got my parents their shun I was told by a woman who used their service with a broken tip that they just replaced the knife with a new one.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Do you see yourself ever using a carving knife outside of a big ol' bird? I wouldn't spend too much, just get a victorinox or something and don't abuse it. Alternatively never get one and use a chef's knife.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Those types are easy enough to find in a random Asian grocery too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anyone know a vendor that has the glass stones in stock for the edgepro?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nuts. Guess I'll just get to Amazon Chosera then.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Has anyone used a knife with the HAP40 steel? I want a new workhorse at 240+ and can't decide on a steel. I don't want anything very reactive as I'll forget to wipe it down so I'm between:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohawagy24.html
The HAP40 knife I'll likely get if the steel is as amazing as they say.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kogsgy24.html
Proprietary steel?!

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kurosaki240.html
An R2 that has cladding I could tolerate.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rilaaosu24gy.html
I've seen this referenced many times in various reviews so it's bound to be good.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sag3gigy24.html
Ginsan, which isn't as hard as HAP40. Knife is gorgeous though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thanks for the warning, I do not want a rocker for now. Have you had to strip the finish on the r2 you linked yet? I'm hesitant to get one with the pattern so close to the edge as it may be a lovely aesthetic in a few years time. I'm not finding anything negative about HAP40, except that it's similar to M4 steel (which I can't find used for kitchen knives) but can also take high heats which seems like worthless info.

Do you feel either the r2 or Ginsan may chip on chicken joints?

/e- r2 answered above.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I can rationalize that the effect is close to nill, especially for a home cook. It's a problem I have buying anything. If there are two options with even just a color difference I will try and find the "best," even if the effort consumed doing so is a massively larger opportunity cost than just pulling the trigger.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's really the most divine lessen to not dishwash knives.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The fine is only 750 grit on that and diamond strips fast. You can also get a felt block to cut the burr away.

There is nothing wrong with that pattern, other than a smoothing plate, all are likely like that.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 25, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

lol if you don't catch your knives with your foot by reflex

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ha the Google adds that get through my filter have been trying to sell the chub knife, I've yet to click to see what's so revolutionary

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SubG posted:

That's up there with the claims of ~*super antimicrobial wood*~ on the wooden knife. Someone ought to kickstart a kitchen knife with a tip that's ground flat so you can use it as a screwdriver for a hat trick of knives that are technically capable of doing stupid poo poo you shouldn't care about in the first place and should never do even if you theoretically can.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/risa10chkn.html

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Perfect for prisons and pretty cheap, so still more useful than a very expensive knife that is slightly less likely to fall off the counter if you're a total klutz.

The stubby knife version can be sold as the shank

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The tojiro non itk

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That'd be cool as an enchanted d&d blade.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Worse than the guy ferry stab self garlic crusher knife.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Do you really think a Japanese chef, whether a sushi chef or not, would be using a heavy, soft gaijin blade like a Henckels? I'm quite dubious.

to hack at frozen poo poo? Sure, I can't imagine why someone would keep a knife that far past the bolster otherwise.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't like teh wustof's bolster.

If you won't sharpen just get cutco or w/e

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

7.5"

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have the gihei hap40 santoku from cktg which is super thin, light, and a good knife.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I wasn't a big fan of my Wustoff Classic santoku either. The edge didn't really hold. Do you like chopping, pushing or rocking? That's what will matter most.

I grabbed the Tojiro white #2 one and if you can deal with carbon it's very nice, cheap, and the tip is generously rounded to allow a rocking mince. It is weighted for a pinch grip but a bit more hefty than other Japanese knives I have. I did have to straighten the edge a bit out of the box. The VG-10 shuns are over priced but I think the pro series are blue#2 and have different ergonomics (still expensive).

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshna161.html

If you want something more hefty you can always email mark and ask which nakiri is heaviest (probably a western handle). Look for "workhorse" in descriptions or their forum as well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I tipped my big gently caress off knife and I'm not sure if I want to grind from the top and keep all the flat or from the bottom or have more of a curve and do just the tip edge. Nuclear option is to reprofile the whole edge by half a mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

wormil posted:

Top is probably simpler with less chance of ruining the temper.

it'll be a hand job so I'm not too worried about this.

mindphlux posted:

send it to the 'will it blend' people

it's hanzo steel, it can never be broken

• Locked thread