Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009
I am new to knives, and have a kniferoll pack of Messermeister knives, as well as a shun 8' utility knife that my roommate got a chunk taken out of.

Is there any saving of my shun knife? It has a 1/8 in. chunk taken out of it, but I am completely unversed in sharpening, other than simple honing, but I know I can't use that to fix the chunk.

Secondly, do most of you just know what you like in a knife handle and buy online, or do you go to brick and mortar stores to give them a waggle? Do online stores give you a trial period to see how the knife fits/feels, or is it an informed guess style of grab bag?

Thirdly, I have seen some good things about cleavers, and I think that's what I would like to get next, I don't do a lot of breaking of chickens, but I guess it would be nice to have the ability, as well to use it more like a straight chef knife for lots of chopping of various things too weird shaped / :effort: to line up and use a chef with. Any suggestions? I would rather buy something that would last for years, than something cheap (aside from a bread knife), plus it gives me the ability to name it affectionately, like Chopper, or LimbFlayer.... Or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Yeah, you can repair the knife, potentially, got a pic of the chip?

As for handles, I don't really care about handles. Personally I prefer D shape or octagons, I hate the french/german style handles, global handles are stupid.

CCK large cleaver, or the Tojiro ITK Nakiri if you don't want a fuckoff huge knife. CCK is$60, nakiri is $50.

I'll take a pic when I get home, it's so pretty. I know that it's probably not a great reason to buy a knife, but it was sharp (in comparison to my other knives) and it looked really spiffy. I hope it can be saved :ohdear:

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009

This is my knife :(

Although looking at it I guess I over exaggerated it's ruined-ness, it still looks bad to me.

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009

Invisible Ted posted:

What the gently caress how does that happen?

Also is that on the spine? If so, my uninformed opinion is that it's a cosmetic problem rather than a functionality problem.

I don't know what the hell he did, and no, that's the blade. Spine I wouldn't care.

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009

mindphlux posted:

lol, that looks pretty horrible. do let us know if you're able to fix it. I was able to repair a knife that had a notch about the size of the smallest one you have, but I dunno about that giant one. what happened?

I dunno! I pulled it out and boom, there it was, all that way. I confronted roommate about it and he just shrugged and said he didn't know. He left a month later, but the chunks will be forever. Being that I have zero experience sharpening knives other than honing a few of the German ones with the rod, I dunno how I'll get it fixed.

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009

Lots of peoples posted:

Roommate is dick, go to shop.

Okay, so nifty knife shop and pay someone to grind that down, I am definitely am not going to touch that on my own, not having the tools, or knowledge, or confidence I won't have sliced finger everywhere.

Are there any questions or red flags I should ask/look for when looking for a knife shop around my area for regrinding this? The last thing I'd want is for me to alter the shape of my knife, fork over cash, and have it be lovely because of a bad job or something.

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009
I got an amazon gift card, and I would like to get a cleaver. I know that the CCK(?) Cleaver was regarded as a great one, but they don't seem to have that. Any recommendations on a cleaver sold on amazon, preferably amazon prime available, and ~25 dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009

The Midniter posted:

I want one of those even though it's small and I don't really even need another knife right now (although...of course I need another knife, I need all the knives). The best part of the whole thing?

How could you not want to buy from them??

quote:

View of the kitchen knife. true product that takes into account the ecology, a blade dimension therefore all uses in density wood fiberboard wisteria Jiro work of "material woody Play" (Sweden steel interrupt) handle portion (MDF) It becomes the.

Even the description of the knife is Cool Japan Tokyo!

• Locked thread