Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Hauki, where did you order that custom knife from? I'm looking at a custom knife as a birthday present for my dad, as well as one for myself possibly. And I like the price of that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Thanks. I thought so but I couldn't see a link in his posts. Those are some really nice looking knives for a decent price. Any words on quality?

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

It's for my dad who was a chef way back when. He has a sabatier which is older than I am which he keeps in the original box. So he'll definitely be looking after it. I'm all in.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Haha, jar gaskets?

So I bought these after reading about it, to try at work. Wonders never cease. Such an ingenious use of those things. Did the guy who introduced you wash them I'm the dishwasher or just by hand? I imagine they'd wear out over time through a professional dishwasher?

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

First blood. Nice.

Has anyone you mentioned gotten a wa style handle through them, that's come off? Or is it held in securely somehow? I'm super paranoid the blade would come out randomly from the handle.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

So I sent an enquiry email about getting 2 28 centimetre gyuto knives.

There's a 5 month waiting list. Looks like the birthday present will have to turn into a slightly late Christmas one. :c

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Pair of Gyuto 28cm knives ordered: Let the long wait commence.

Hoping that they get back to me quickly to say they've received the order and a (hopefully shorter than the stated 5 month) time frame.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

What did you order and where did you order from?

28cm Gyuto knives from Moritaka Hamano. I'd sent an enquiry email about a week and a half ago and they're pretty backed up order wise.

I guess they're popular or something. :doh:

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Regarding sharpening stones: I personally just own the one, and rarely use it, when my knives are in need of a more serious sharpening. I think the last time I actually used it was to give a quick rejig to my main "bruiser"/heavy use knife (a 28cm chef's knife) Usually I run it over a sharpening steel or if needed, a diamond steel.
Edit to add: it's a dual sided one with a fine grit and a harsher one on the second side. The harsher one I've never actually used, yet.

It's personal preference, but I found that once I was used to using a steel properly, it became much easier to have my knives keep/hold an edge. I must be doing something right because the other chefs are wanting me to be the one who sharpens their knives... Or asking if they can borrow.

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 1, 2013

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Any word on how hard/soft those Moritaka Hamano knives are? Can't wait till they arrive. (February is so far away.)

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, I'd call victorinox a good baseline/entry level brand of knife to get a basic skill level at cutting and learning how to sharpen before moving on to a more serious knife, if that makes sense. They're miles above cheap, lovely, mall knives for a decent price.

Though if they are only 30 US dollars I am jealous. They're usually 60 at starting price here in Australia. But then higher end knives can be a few hundred.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Has anyone used/bought one of these: http://www.jawleathergoods.com/#/shop/4568768008/Handmade-Leather-Knife-Roll---Large/867193 ?

I love the look of it but the only thing I'd be worried about is that the knife slots are, as with cheap canvas rolls, held in place with string.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

My Moritaka Gyuto arrived last week finally, I've used it a few times at work and God drat.

It's a little heavier than I had expected, slightly heavier than the Wusthof I have, but as I much prefer weighty knives this isn't a bad thing.

I agree with Thoht on the cutting style in regards to it. It is much more a slicer/straight cutter than a rocking motion type of knife, though mine is 28cm so I can get away with it easier because the blade is long enough to have a wide belly.

Probably wouldn't work as well on a 24cm one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Taima posted:

Any thoughts on the Yaxell Tsuchimon 8 inch chef's knife? I can get it for $70.

https://www.amazon.com/Yaxell-Tsuchimon-Chef-Knife-8-inch/dp/B00CBG0NNA/

Had a less fancy Yaxell than that (similar but with a black handle and without the hammered look - though it had what I think was a fake folded look to it).

Was a good knife for a few years, but eventually (about 6 years after getting it) it was peeling away from it's edge, like it was folded once, and the edge itself was the point where the fold met. You'd think it'd be the other way. Was very difficult to get it to hold sharpness after that.

E: Found this, guess it was actually folded, and I'd hit the 'core' of the knife. No idea what the Japanese says.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41n2DXLUS%2BL.jpg

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 8, 2017

• Locked thread