Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If I want a round or octagonal handled knife, what's the recommendation under $300?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Gyuto I suppose. I'm using an 8" chef's knife now, probably would like something longer, don't care about material it'll hardly be the fussiest thing I own.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The Midniter posted:

I actually won a Korin gyuto from Serious Eats in a giveaway and it's too light for my tastes, so I switched back to the Fibrox.

I was the only person who knew what the piece of meat on the outside of a ribeye is called and I won a big rear end steak that he mailed to my house in dry ice. It was pretty good.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You can throw a kitchen towel under a cutting board to stop it from slipping around and later you can use it to clean up.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've seen my aogami super moritaka (hrc 64-65) shave those grooves clear off of a honing rod. Lol

I just bought a 240mm Moritaka gyuto to try out a carbon steel knife. If it's bad I'll hold you personally responsible by being snarky on the internet.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'll stay on factory for a while, but I have an Apex Edgepro so I'll get to work on it eventually.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Got the Moritaka in the mail. Gravity, does yours have like a black paint like substance on the blade? Do I wash that off somehow or just use it?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Cool. It's my first carbon steel knife so I didn't know what to do.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Used it for the first time and woof. I just tore through a pile of mire poix.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have Shun Elites and sharpen them regularly and out of the box this thing is insane. I didn't think things could be this sharp.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I think people talk about putting sandpaper on a mouse pad or using a strop.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

keykey posted:

I want to buy something that we can use for a long time that won't turn to garbage quickly after sharpening.

That's not really how knives work. If you refuse to sharpen them you should be buying Victorinoxes and throwing them away every four months or whatever.

No matter how much you spend on a knife it needs to be sharpened. The differences in steel and quality won't matter if it hasn't been sharpened in a year.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Six months is about the right time to sharpen a knife if you use it occasionally. Buying a more expensive knife doesn't change that.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

TATPants posted:

Overall, for $300 a knife, I think it is too much money considering the QC problems.

It's also too much money for a stubby little 7" knife.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

All of my knives besides my chefs knife are Victorinox. I don't use a 14" slicer enough to spend a million dollars on it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Generally when you get into that price range you'll see powdered steels like ZDP-189 and HAP40 which can reach 65+.

Wow!!!

This doesn't refute the marginal gains point being made.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

When I first started cooking I bought a nice Henckels. I use it now for things I wouldn't use any of my nice knives on.

I feel like there are a ton of advantages to Japanese style knives and as a beginner you'll adapt just fine.

Companies like Shun make Japanese style blades with Western geometry. You can check out them and Global for a knife with better steel and a better edge but still with some belly.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You can see how bad the edge is on that knife from a low res picture. Is your other knife a book or maybe a tennis ball glued to a handle?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a Shun Elite that served me well for a decade. I don't really care if it was $20 or $30 more expensive than something just as good. It's a quality product and it'll last. The Tojiro is nice as well.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Especially if she's a pro a knife is too personal to be picked out by someone else. Write her a nice card that says "let's go buy you a chef's knife together" or something.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The stubby bread knife doesn't make any sense. I pinch grip on my chefs knife but for sawing with a serrated blade I think most people get their hand around the grip.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I had no complaints about my Henckels until I used a Japanese style knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

silencekit posted:

Can you knife experts recommend me a good chef's knife to get my partner for Christmas? Looking to spend up to $100, including sheathe.

I agree with SubG. What if you printed out a picture of a fancy kitchen knife and said "let's go shopping" for Christmas? You could put it in a nice box, etc.

Option 2 is buy from a place with a generous return policy and do essentially the same thing but with a placeholder knife.

• Locked thread