Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hey thread.

Been looking for a good chef's knife for a while already. As an amateur with not much to spend, who cooks pretty much every day and does the occasional "sophisticated" meal, are there any more versatile (dunno if that would be the correct word) types than the Forschner-Victorinox? I can't spend much, but I am willing to save a bit more to get something can be both a workhorse and a more refined tool for the every now and then indulgence.

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

This thread has been a great resource indeed - while I did not buy a shiny Japanese knife (no bucks for that and I feel that level of performance is a tad out of my skill yet haha), I got a decent stainless steel forged knife that with some caretaking has been much better than everything I had before.

That said, I got pretty interested in sharpening. For someone who is completely new to it and doesn't have very sophisticated blades to work with, what kind of whetstone I should look at? I have seen a Suehiro #300 stone for cheap; should I get a high grit as well (perhaps a double-face) or that would be overkill to learn the basics?

(I read the guide in first page, but leaves a lot open and I would like a bit more detailed input)

Thanks!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Isn't a carbon steel too much for the "first serious business knife", though? I am saving up for an eventual Tojiro and (for me at least) that level of performance with stainless steel is a good trade-off given the acidic environment of the kitchen and whatnot.

That said, I have seen a video of a guy preparing stuff with a Moritaka and I was like :stare:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

If you get aogami before its gotten a nice patina and chop a whole onion it will leave rust marks on your onions by the time you get to the 2nd half of the onion.

So, if I supposedly get a blade made of aogami super, it is a good idea to "season" it, then?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Titanium for kitchen knives is more or less a gimmicky thing, no? As in, these blades only have a sprinkle of the stuff in their edges, but they are mostly made with an average steel.

So, I am looking for my first "serious" knife. I had bought an average chef's knife back then while I was learning how to do proper maintenance and care, and now I want a reliable kickass workhorse: the Tojiro DP seems to be the all-around champion before diminishing returns, but I heard nice things about the Fujiwara FKM and MAC gyutos on that price range. I am currently inclined for the DP 240mm, although other opinions would be appreciated.

As a bonus, I am also considering a chinese cleaver after seeing all the rave about it; seems a much more effective buy than a nakiri, for instance.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Re: Victorinox, I was wondering if a ceramic rod would be a good idea for those knives. Would it be decent enough to keep it sharp?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am in the market for a chinese cleaver. Been looking at these two models:

http://www.amazon.com/Traditional-S...chinese+cleaver

http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-440-...in%3A3242350011

Can't shell for a CCK (and chef knives to go would have to ship international so monstruous fees anyway), so I am just checking cheaper models. Any thoughts?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So, my Tojiro gyuto arrived and holy loving poo poo: I never owned a really nice knife before, now it feels like there is a whole new parameter of cooking that I was never aware of has been revealed to me.

Now comes the other expensive part. For knives like the Tojiro, a #1000 stone is decent enough? I don't mind sharpening by hand, done enough times before.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

What is a good stone grind for a Tojiro DP?

Also, a ceramic rod like this one a bad idea? Apparently it has a harder than usual ceramic involved, so it could sharpen instead of hone even a better steel?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Thanks for the reply. I am saving up to buy some good maintenance gear since I now own a quality knife, better to research accordingly.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Just want to give praise to the Victorinox granton slicer. For anyone that is thinking about getting an accessory knife for the occasional bigass piece of meat, it really rocks. In fact, I liked it so much that I want to get a boning knife from them as well :3:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Honestly, I just want to know why chinese cleavers have so much cost-efficiency.

Before Christmas, I went to this chinese place at the nearby downtown, when I saw this immigrant cook from Guangzhou doing straight-up knife wizard fuckery with this beat-as-hell cleaver and I asked him about it and he just lol'ed at me for thinking this was some special knife. He said he bought it for what would be $15-20 usd at a local market before leaving the country. :v:

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 7, 2016

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

So for some reason the price of Victorinox knives has skyrocketed. Would Tramontina restaurant kitchen knives (the ones with the white handles) be a good substitute?

http://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-Co...tina+chef+knife

Tramontina is a good Brazilian steelworks company. They have a pretty stupid naming convention for their kitchen knife lines, like naming their basic setup "Professional" and the stuff that you really want with no indication whatsoever of their quality. Look for "Century" knives made by them, which is the suggested line for cooks who have a higher standard for their cutlery - don't know if they are exported, though.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Decided to see what the fuss is all about and just purchased a Chinese cleaver from a forge there for 40 yankeebux. Going to take a month to arrive, but hey, free shipping :v:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I have been using a ceramic rod for my tojiro dp for more than a year and retains a (very) good level of sharpness in comparison to your average knife, but it isn't 100%. So yeah, a stone is definitely needed to best maintenance.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Re: chinese cleaver

Got mine, a carbon steel forged one, for 40 bux (plus shipping) from a Chinese foundry.

It is glorious. It is certainly sharper and heavier than I expected - I am trying to get the hang of it, but it seems to me that I should let the weight help me along when cutting. I can dice an onion pretty much effortlessly with one.

Thing is, I am pretty sure I am not using it as well as I should, so is there a good guide or some sort of general instructions? For example, cutting meat feels a lot different coming from a chef's knife - I feel I am "dragging" the blade instead of slicing, which might be an adaptation issue, I don't know.

But yeah, other than that, blade is god-tier. I storm through vegetables like no poo poo and I am far from having great knife skills :v:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

hey thread

So I moved and my kitchen is small, not a lot of room for cutting board real estate, which means my old tojiro is a tad unwieldy. I am looking for a santoku - my gf asked for a shorter blade so that she can handle it properly - and I am looking for some suggestions. Carbon is not an issue and I have some ceramic stones that while not as nice or awesome as japanese waterstones, do a fantastic job in sharpening from banged-up crap knives to awesome ones. Something at least up to par in terms of Tojiro-esque quality would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance :)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Tojiro does Santokus too, so you could go with that. How much were you looking to spend?

A brand new tojiro dp would be $70, so I guess around that? I can make an exception for a more expensive knife if it is really awesome in terms of cost benefit (like a $85 one that performs just as well as around double that price), if there is such a thing.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kobl2wasa16.html: Another more traditional knife, this one is the most expensive of the three but probably the best value. It uses Blue #2 steel which is a really nice steel, it sharpens easily and holds an edge well. This has stainless cladding over the core steel so you don't need to worry as much about corrosion and is a really nice looking knife overall. The fit and finish is good, so you won't really need to do the extra work that the knife above needs, but it's also $100 instead of $75, still well worth the extra $25 for the steel, decent fit and finish and stainless cladding.

Anyway, I hope that helps you out. :)

Man, now that is a really good suggestion (I should have known that somebody would come up with a solid pro pick that would blow my budget). I was aiming to buy a new knife now, but I can wait for a few extra bucks to get this one :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

There is plenty of wisdom in not dwelling too much in the subjects where internet spergdom goes to another level like guns, tools, official gaming forums and kitchen knives

• Locked thread