Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I think it is because of an asymmetrical grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Most Japanese knives come with a standard 50/50 grind these days. I hone my Tojiro DP on a standard metal steel daily for work, and have no issues whatsoever.

Even if it were an assymetrical grind, you could still hone it.

Nope, going with some idiot 'expert' on the internet didn't know what he was talking about and the average person bought it.
Oh I agree, I just recall that being the reason behind the wive's tale. I've been around master sushi chefs honing their knives, so I don't think random joe knows something they don't know.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Sure. You'd break the bur instead of aligning it.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That's almost as good as the dude I trained who didn't understand ceramic knives. The idea that something could be hard and brittle didn't compute with him.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Those brown spots could possibly, maybe, potentially, be rust, but if you look at it from an angle and it "changes color" it's just patina. I'd keep the patina unless you had some other finish in mind. In that case, Barkeeper's Friend will strip it all off.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

nervana posted:

I am going to be staying in Chicago for a few months so I thought I might buy a new paring knife (and possibly a chefs knife to go with it). What is a good beginner friendly paring knife?
I like this for beginners. You don't really have any preferences to require an expensive one, you won't be adept at sharpening, and you won't have to deal with the dangers of a dull knife. It's not romantic, but they are sharp as hell and you'll never do anything stupid with it, or it will easily break. Should last you a couple years at least, and be really nice at doing what it is supposed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea, you need the sheath. If not, it's going to chip somewhere. You can't exactly throw it in the silverware drawer. With the sheath, you can. They have rounded tips, because the tip would inevitably break off. This way, it cannot happen with normal use. It also helps that the handle is heavier than the blade. Even if you drop it, it will bounce on the handle and land OK.

What specifically are you using this paring knife for? For me, I can get by dropping :10bux: every year or so and have a razor sharp paring knife on hand. Maintaining a similar edge in steel is going to cost money sharpening and honing. High carbon steels like both white and blue can also rust, and will naturally tarnish over time. This can be a deal breaker if you want to use it for acidic fruits and vegetables. Ceramic is inert.

Depending on what your ambitions are, you might be able to get a better fit for less money. Like if you just want an insanely sharp small knife that is also a bad rear end conversation piece, I like the Okeya brand of small kitchen knives. This little dude is white steel, looks like a crazy shank from hell, holds a wicked single bevel edge, and opens any sort of plastic bag by pointing at it. You'll be surprised how often your cutting task is just getting a stupid bag open, and not having jaggedy rear end cuts in all your bags helps with storage.

• Locked thread