Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My main knife is a Victorinox 8" chef knife and I was aghast the other day when I realized that I had deformed the back of the knife slightly due to stabbing avocado pits and twisting to remove them, then banging it against the trash can to dispose of the pit.

Then I realized that I didn't give a poo poo because it is a $25 knife and I can abuse it as much as I want!

A couple months ago I won an 8" Korin gyuto from a Serious Eats giveaway. I've used it a couple times and it's nice but I prefer the wider blade of my Fibrox - I am a "swoop" cutter and the wider blade allows me to swoop further than with the Korin. One time I didn't immediately wash my Korin and it got a little rust spot that I can't get rid of :(

I also got a paring knife on a whim but have only used it a handful of times. I feel like I'm missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

Just did a few passes on a balsa strop with chromium oxide 0.3 micron and then on 0.1 micron iron oxide compounds and I take back anything disparaging I said about stropping in the product thread.

Let me guess, you typed this post with one hand because you cut one of your fingers off?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I found this local guy who does house call knife sharpening and I'm considering giving him a ring. However, one thing has be a bit concerned, mostly because I know nothing about sharpening:

http://www.afineredge.com/questions.html

Check question 15 (and the associated MS Paint diagram several questions up that should correspond with this question). Is that okay, or even normal at all? I'm not quite sure I understand the distinction.

Part of my desire to patronize his services is due to my unironic appreciation of how terrible his website is formatted. In this day and age it takes some serious skill to have a site look that lovely.

Also, read the "My Book" section at the bottom of the left sidebar. It is amazing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You know I really respect the guy and love his work but Kenji Lopez has a full-on hate boner for the Victorinox line of knives. He trashes it at every chance he gets. I've had mine for about three years now and it remains one of the best bang-for-my-buck kitchen investments. I actually won a Korin gyuto from Serious Eats in a giveaway and it's too light for my tastes, so I switched back to the Fibrox. I feel like he forgets that even a budget Victorinox chef knife is still light years ahead of what your average Joe Sixpack thinks is acceptable (like one of those hollow knives falling through tomatoes on infomercials or some poo poo).

When I've got some more disposable income sure I'll waste it on a needlessly expensive full-tang riveted knife or some such poo poo, but drat dude it's not like Mr. Victorinox raped your mom and sister and shot your fuckin' dad.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I started using my gyuto a bit more since my other knife desperately needs sharpening. At first I was put off by the lighter weight, but now I am coming to greatly appreciate how nimbly I can handle it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

d3rt posted:

Cheers I'll pick up that guard.

FYI, Tojiro DP 170mm for $55 shipped http://www.amazon.com/Fuji-Tiger-Industry-F-503-Tojiro-DP/dp/B000UAPQEA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391028121&sr=8-3&keywords=tojiro+dp

I just ordered one of those '2 left in stock'.

I want one of those even though it's small and I don't really even need another knife right now (although...of course I need another knife, I need all the knives). The best part of the whole thing?

quote:

Ships from and sold by COOL JAPAN TOKYO

How could you not want to buy from them??

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

rj54x posted:

I recently got a stainless Shun chef's knife (made from VG10) as a gift. Up until now, I've done most of my work with Henckels, which require fairly frequent honing / sharpening, being soft German steel. Am I correct in that I should be honing much less often with the Shun, and if so, how often? The Henckels usually get a couple passes before every use, should I be looking at once a week instead?

Hone before every use. It's not going to take any metal off like sharpening, it's just aligning the cutting edge.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Massasoit posted:

I have a rough honing rod, but after re-reading the OP I want to get a smooth one. Whats a good one from amazon I could pick up, I have like $25, though the less I spend the better - but I don't want something that will mess up my knives.

I bought this last year and it's served me just fine. Cheap, too.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

In case any knife newbies are interested, Woot is having a sellout deal today for an 8" Victorinox chef knife, a paring knife, and a honing steel all for only $30. This is an awesome deal so if you're not well-equipped, jump on it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

fart simpson posted:

Well, that would have saved me a bit of money, having just purchased that stuff last week.

Owned.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, I've never really used a chef's knife style knife much so I'm pretty tempted to experiment with something new.

BTW, how are the cheap bladeguards from chefknivestogo?

If you want to experiment with a chef's knife, just buy a Victorinox Fibrox and play with that. It's super cheap and even if you end up not caring that greatly for it, it's decent quality and can hang around in your drawer as a "beater" knife. Like, I have a nice gyuto, but if I'm just slicing an avocado in half, I'll use my Victorinox, stab the pit and smack it against the trash can to dislodge it, poo poo like that. Also pretty handy for stabbing/slicing home intruders.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

americong posted:

Is that just a thing that happens to broad knives?

Yep.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I heard this interesting piece on The Splendid Table and got a laugh out of this:

quote:

But when those war-like Americans in warships got there, the Japanese observed that Americans were eating meat. It started to grow in interest and popularity. Then we reached this incredible moment in 1872 when the emperor of Japan ate meat in public and started to advocate the eating of meat. He said, "As a nation we need to get bigger and healthier and stronger." They started to eat meat at that time.

"We need to get bigger and healthier and stronger." That's a pretty drat solid public health policy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Am I hurting my knife by cutting frozen meat with it? I really should have sliced this huge pork shoulder before freezing it.

"Hurting" it? As long as you're not whacking it repeatedly and violently which could chip or break the blade, all you're doing by using a knife on frozen meat is dulling it more rapidly. It can still be sharpened back to goodness.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've backed a few Kickstarters, but since all the $45 slots are gone, I'd rather wait to see how it's received once they ramp up production rather than save a measly $10 for the $55 slot for a knife I may end up hating. I typically trust Our Lord Kenji but who knows if they went to great lengths to send him a tester knife that was functionally perfect rather than what the knife will be like at retail once they mass produce them?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a way to tell if I'm honing my knife wrong, and how? I haven't been able to get my Victorinox back to how it was from the factory. It doesn't help that my wife and roommate forget and put my knife in the dishwasher or in the drawer without the blade guard.

How long have you had it and how often do you use it? Especially with the fact that it got run through the dishwasher and was stored without protection, honing may not cut it and you may need to either get it professionally sharpened (easy, cheap), or sharpen it yourself (for sperglords).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Glockamole posted:

Depending on where the maker is located, that is an actual thing. The American Bladesmith Society grants the title to smiths who pass their master bladesmith test. I'd bring it up in every conversation I could if I could pass the ABS master bladesmith test.

I just looked this up and that poo poo is interesting as hell. Seems like a lot of time and effort needs to be invested to become a Master Bladesmith.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Have you seen this? This dude's a master bladesmith. I'd say he deserves the title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x0f2b_0kn0

That was awesome. Also, thanks for introducing me to another Bourdain (web)series I'd never heard of.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SubG posted:

No, a cleaver like the CCK Small Slicer (the one everyone talks about from ck2g is the #3 Small Slicer) definitely isn't meant to chop through bones. CCK does indeed make bone cleavers (I have a couple myself), but in general when people are talking about Chinese cleavers they're talking about something that isn't designed for bone chopping but instead does more or less anything a Western chef's knife does.

Anyway, I imagine the chief reason why they've historically been so inexpensive for the quality is because both manufacturing and labour are really cheap in China.

The carbon steel CCKs I own are merely adequate as far as the quality of the steel goes. They're not garbage, but the materials seem to be about average compared to a random one from a store in Chinatown. The main advantage the CCK has over random other inexpensive Chinese cleavers I've handled and/or owned is that it's lighter and thinner from the factory. Also, most of 'em have have the (invariably cheap) handles attached by having the end of the tang hammered flat against the butt of the handle. All the CCKs I own are nice and snug, but a lot of the random other Chinese cleavers I own rattle or have loose handles.

I also have a couple of higher-end Japanese Chinese cleavers, like a Takeda, and the fit and finish on them is leagues better, but they are also literally ten times as expensive.

How many cleavers do you actually own? This post makes it sound like you have 20+.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My wife and I have been cooking together a lot more lately. I've noticed that she's very much a rocker, whereas I'm totally a push cutter. I'm not really in the market for a knife right now, but just out of curiosity, which type of knife would best suit our specific knife styles?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Does anyone have the link to the most popular/best Edge Pro knockoff? The real deal is hell of expensive.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've never understood why you'd want to put a knife into the dishwasher anyway. Steak/butter knives, sure...they're regular silverware and a pain to clean in any quantity. But a chef knife is just a long, wide piece of metal that takes literally 15 seconds to wash, rinse, and dry.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

When is is going to become common knowledge that a properly sharpened chef's knife is the best tool for just about any job, especially bread and tomatoes?

When the average home kitchen contains a properly sharpened chef's knife, i.e. never.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've never been able to do the fancy cheffy method of honing as seen (somewhat) here. I've always placed my honing rod down perpendicular to the counter and honed my knife that way. I feel like I can get a more consistent angle doing it that way. Nothing wrong with that, right?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That's really really pretty. Expensive, though.

Also, from the link:

quote:

Knives not included.

Well gently caress it, I'm out!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I backed the Misen Kickstarter since I was looking for a full-tang knife to replace my Victorinox (I still like it, but the balance is just off) as a workhorse knife and the $65 price point wasn't bad. I got it this past weekend and have used it exclusively the past couple days. It's not bad. The balance is nice, it feels sturdy unlike my very sharp and very hard Korin gyuto (that I wouldn't use to bash cloves of garlic to peel, unlike the Misen). My only complaint thus far is that it didn't come terribly sharp. I honed it the best I could and it's moderately sharp but I'm going to be getting it sharpened soon, after which I'll be able to make a more informed judgment.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Shooting Blanks posted:

Oh please let them sell those wooden knives in Portland and post sales numbers. It's actually a very pretty knife - I have no idea how it functions but just as a piece of industrial design I like it.

Yeah I agree, the smoked oak one with the hand folded Damascus steel blade is really, really nice looking.

However, I would never buy a drat wooden knife.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

poverty goat posted:

help me out, goons

Ditch the chef knife and keep the gyuto. If you can already tell that the chef knife isn't right for you, it never will be.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Peep Jerky posted:

https://www.misen.co/products/misen-chefs-knife-black

I wanted to post this, then realized these knives say they're still in production, so they might only be shipping to backers so far. Sorry if they've come up before. I think I saw the Kickstarter on a list of best Kickstarters or something, but anyway, has anyone used these knives or have any opinions on them? As I've been doing more cooking I've started keeping an eye out for deals on a good chef's knife, but I don't really do enough cooking to spend $200 on one.

I posted in the thread shortly after I got mine. I was severly whelmed by it. Not over or under, just whelmed.

However, my opinion of it has changed since I've been using it as my daily go-to. The blade is balanced very well, it is very comfortable using a pinch grip, and the curve of the blade is really good for push cutting as well as straight up-and-down chopping, which I never really did until I got this knife. For some reason it just seems to work well with it. I also sharpened the blade, as the out-of-the-box sharpness was my main criticism with it. I am a first-time sharpener and I practiced on a couple other beater knives before trying it on the Misen, and while I didn't do the most even job, it cuts much better now and has held a fantastic edge. Obviously I hone it before each use, and I use it about every day.

I don't have any super-expensive knives, but the knife is definitely worth $65.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was sharpened daily, some japanese chefs are trained that way, a sushi chef in particular would be pretty analretentive about keeping their knives very sharp, and to be fair a japanese knife with harder steel and the japanese style design can be sharpened to hell and back before it really starts having problems.

Do you really think a Japanese chef, whether a sushi chef or not, would be using a heavy, soft gaijin blade like a Henckels? I'm quite dubious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Those knives are plenty pretty but I can't picture using a pinch grip with that awful "ergonomic" handle.

• Locked thread