Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Last year I bought the cheapest ceramic knife they had at bed bath & beyond (I think it was $20 or so on sale). I do not regret my decision. I use it only for cutting vegetables, and with no care other than a quick rinse under the faucet after use, it still slices through tomatoes, lettuce, and onions with zero effort. I have never used it on anything resembling meat, and it has not chipped. I still have my nice chef's knife that I use for real chopping, but for the more delicate things I cut I love the ceramic knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Stalizard posted:

Enjoy it until you accidentally use it on a brick of grocery store cheese, and the blade separates from the handle entirely. After that, I recommend a proper metal knife.

Like I said, I only use it on vegetables. It's very distinctive in comparison to my Chefs knife. If this one broke, I would go buy another. I used to hate slicing tomatoes, because I would have to hone my blade every time basically to get a nice thinly sliced tomato. Now I know I can cut my 1/16th" tomato slice every time with the knife straight out of the drawer.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I did a very quick look through the thread, and didn't see a lot of love for ceramic knives. I have a single ceramic chef's knife that I use exclusively for fruits and vegetables, and I love it. It wasn't anything fancy, i think under $50 at bed bath and beyond but it is very nice knowing that I can pull it out of the drawer and it'll be sharp enough to effortlessly chop anything i put under it. I have never sharpened or honed the edge in the roughly 5 years that I have had it and it still goes right through a tomato, which has historically been my yardstick for when to hone my blade.

I still keep a nice steel chef's knife handy for any meat products I have to cut. 1) I worry that washing my ceramic knife may damage it, not only from the lateral pressure on the blade but also from the temperature changes from hot to cold, but 2) I also worry that it will break if I hit a bone.

Knowing those drawbacks, I heartily recommend a ceramic knife for everyone. It really is a great investment.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

BTW if you mean putting your ceramic knife in a dishwasher when you say "washing" then you shouldn't do that with any knife, a dishwasher will really damage handles and dull the hell out of the knife. I just use a sponge, warm water and some soap on my knives.
I just meant hand washing it in hot water.

• Locked thread