Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Let's say I want to sharpen knives and some woodworking tools. Would this be ok (would add a strop)

http://www.amazon.ca/EZE-LAP-DD8SF-Diamond-Sharpening-Included/dp/B002RL84FS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1438869434&sr=8-7&keywords=eze-lap

EZE-LAP double sided diamond stone 1200-600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
anyone knows where to get the cck cleaver online in canada?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Hexigrammus posted:

I had no luck with this a couple of years ago. Finally got one at Tinland during a visit to Vancouver, which is kind of useless information for the rest of Canada.

meh. Thanks for the info

No US merchant that will ship to Canada either or is the shipping just prohibitive

e: Ok answered my own question. Chefknifetogo sell it for 70$ and with shipping it's a little over 100$ which is quite a bit more than the "around 40$" of the OP.

Where do you guys get yours in the US? Has it just gotten quite a bit more expensive since this thread started?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 6, 2016

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Present posted:

If youre in Toronto theres a shop on Pacific mall that sells them.

I'm in Quebec, but my best friend lives in Toronto. I'll give them a call to see what they sell it for and might ask my friend to buy one for me.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
any good alternative to the cck if the price keeps going up?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
so I have a 600-1200 duosharp stone and green stropping compound. I'm thinking of adding a single finer stone to get that extra sharpness. Would something like a 6000 king water stone be a good choice?

Also, is the Tojiro DP the obvious first economy buy in japanese knives? I'm in Canada an willing to spend up to 100$ or so. I'd prefer not getting a carbon knife if possible but I'm not completely against the idea.

Might also go for the CCK cleaver if the shop in Toronto wants to ship me one, but I'd prefer a japanese Gyuto or Santoku if there is any reason getting one over a gyuto considering I have a chef knife that I like already

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

GobiasIndustries posted:

Wow, thanks for all the info and back-and-forth, all! I've gone ahead and ordered the smooth honing steel and I'll probably take my knife to get it professionally sharpened this time but I'd definitely like to learn how to do it myself since even though it's only a couple dollars for one knife in my area, that adds up over time if I continue to purchase nicer knifes. Plus I like being as self-sufficient as possible.

It's not nearly as hard as it seems either. Doing a perfect job to get razor sharp is quite hard and requires the proper stones, but just getting a good very sharp edge is quite easy. It took me 2-3 times to get an edge that is good enough for my needs with only a 600-1200 stone and stropping compound on some random piece of wood. Now I just touch up the knives with the 1200 and then strop whenever I feel it's not sharp enough.

I definitely don't get my knives scary sharp and a good Professional would obviously do better, but I think I get it at least as sharp as the cheap (and lovely) place I used to go to get them sharpened. Definitely a million times sharper than the knives 99% of people use at home.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 13, 2016

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Just ordered my first Gyuto kind of already looking at my next knife purchase. Honesuki's knives look great and fun to try. Considering pretty much the only deboning I do is chicken and other birds, would this be a good alternative to a traditional boning knife?

I already own a paring, chef, gyuto and decent bread knife

Scott808 posted:

I find the King 6000 to be okay, but not great, depending on what you're sharpening. Results are fine, but the feeling of blade on stone I find bleh.

I get why the Tojiro DP is one of the default recommendations for entry level Japanese knives, but I found its performance quite underwhelming out of the box - mine dragged and wedged much more than I found acceptable and, crazy as it seems, my food service specials outperformed it stock versus stock. I've taken mine to the stones and reworked it for a couple hours (not including refinishing, which takes a significant amount of time on top of that). It performs much, much better now.

OOTB the sharpness was good, but the edge was flawed (low hanging heel, overgrind in edge) but pretty easily fixable if you can sharpen. The choil and bolster needed easing, which is also easy to do. The often criticized blockiness of the handle doesn't bother me at all, but I do wish the fit and finish where the bolster and handle meet were better. All of them seem to have gaps, some worse than others, where they meet which is filled with something, usually not so neatly. I haven't done so on mine, but you should be able to fix this (if you care to) with some minor effort. The affordable price point makes it a good knife to learn some basic maintenance/fixes on.

But fixing the performance issues I had with mine is way beyond what the majority of people are going to be willing to do. I haven't tried out any samples other than my own, so it's very possible that mine was just kind of a dud.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I ended up ordering the Tojiro because it was pretty cheap and after reading reviews everywhere I figure I'll be fine with the minor fit and finish problems. I'll try to fix them as best as I can with help from this thread.

OOTB sharpness is not a huge issue for me since i like sharpening my knives and I want to work on my technique anyway. I ordered a simple angle guide at the same time to see if it can help me work on my technique/proper angle.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Just got my Tojiro DP gyuto. It's everything I wanted and some more! If I had to do it again I'd get the santoku or nakiri though since I already have an alright chef's knife and would have enjoyed something with a slightly larger blade. Probably going to get a honesuki in a few months and might cave in for a nakiri at some point if I like how it sharpens.

OOTB it is by far the sharpest knife I've handled. The knife back does dig in my index finger (where I pinch grip) a bit when using it though. Was thinking of rounding out slightly on the sharpening stone. Anything I should know before proceding?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 5, 2016

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Put it in a vice if you have one, and round out the edge with sandpaper.

That said, knives digging into the base of your index finger is just a Thing That Happens. Lots of us have knife callouses right there.

Yeah I know, but my other chef knife does not do it (or not as much). It's just a bit too sharp and I'm sure it'll be fine if I round it a little bit.

Thanks for the tip about using a vice. I'll do that for sure

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Most home cooks use knives that are 10 years old and never have been sharpened. May be the accidental "serrations" on this one make it cut ok. I know my girlfriends prefers our horrible "serrated" knives which are the thinnest pieces of metal with some sort of cheap saw like serration on them over my good well sharpened knives...

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, that. Hell, you could learn to sharpen using that, 2k will be a little slow on a dull knife but it will do the job and a 2k edge is nice.

Right now I have a stone that goes up to 1200. Should I go for a 2k or a 4k as my next stone? Is 1,2k to 4k too big of a jump?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
What would you guys recommend as a "boning" knife (99% of the work done would be breaking down chicken and only in a home cooking environnement) . Should I just buy a good cheap western boning knife like a sanelli (https://www.amazon.com/Sanelli-Premana-Professional-Flexible-Boning/dp/B00Q6NQUJA) or is it worth getting something like a honesuki from Tojiro? I already own knives from both brand and I really like them both. I kind of want to justify getting another tojiro and I like the nerd factor of the honesuki, but I don't want to make a dumb choice just for that either.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 8, 2016

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Landrobot posted:

What does everyone use for cutting boards? I have some crappy plastic ones now, but want to get some nice wood ones. Price isn't much of an issue, as I want some good, sanitary (as much as possible), and nice boards. I take good care of my stuff.

My Japanese steel deserves something better than its current setup

I have a nice (but not particularly large) end grain cutting board I made myself but I also use regular plastic ones mainly for meat.

The wood is my favourite, but everything works ok honestly. I do think the wood feels "faster" as the knife doesn't stick into it. It's also pretty much a once in a lifetime buy since you can always sand it down if it's too scuffed up for your taste.

On the sanitary side of things all are pretty much equivalent AFAIK. Some people claim wood is better because it naturally absorbs/kill the bacteria and some people say plastic is better since you can clean it with harsher products and let it soak if you want.

If you get a wooden board just buy some mineral oil at the drug store (it's used as a laxative so it's safe for you) and apply some to your board whenever it needs it.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 3, 2016

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

SubG posted:

Yeah, that's the theory but I'm kinda of the opinion that if you're worried about stabbing you should be worried about cutting as well. In corrections institutions the real safety feature is a through-the-tang tether, so anyone more than a foot and a half (or whatever) from the prep station is safe regardless of what the trustee decides to do with the thing. But whatever.

As a high school teacher I could see this used in some high schools too. And I can imagine multiple places where the tether could be deemed useful.

It seems they sell it more as a "poo poo knife" you'll use to break away bones or to practice sharpening though.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Quick question,

at the grocery store nearby they have a special offer where you get coupons for your groceries and then you can purchase some knives at a heavy discount. They had a similar deal with pots and pans a few months ago and the deal was great, but I'm not sure when it comes to those knives.

It's basically this set : Zwilling JA Henckels five star Twin.
https://www.amazon.com/Zwilling-J-H...ckels+Five+Star

The knives are like 8 to 20$ a pop.

I have two good chef's knives already so I'm looking at the paring/veggie knives. They come at about 10$, which is the same price of a new victorinox paring knife. Would I be better off just getting a cheap victorinox

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 8, 2017

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

CrazyLittle posted:

yeah take a pass on the Henckles. I've got a Henckles set from Costco when i moved in with my girl and they're mediocre, but that was a long time ago and the new Henckles knives look like they got a lot cheaper and crappier over the years. Get the Vioctorinox pieces that you need and skip the rest.

Thanks for your opinion. Other people of the thread, do you agree?

Just to make sure, I'm not looking at getting the whole set. Just the paring knife. (already have a mix of sanellis, victorinox and tojiros)

I would never think of buying any of them full price but I just want to make sure that at like 10$ I'm still not getting a better deal than a Victorinox paring knife.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 9, 2017

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Verisimilidude posted:

Wait, what? Are you saying this from experience? I work in a professional kitchen (Japanese restaurant) and we all sharpen our knives at least once a week (once every two weeks if we're stretching it). Our knives range from $200-$600 a piece.

Something to mention is that knives should be sharpened relatively frequently. Constant sharpening makes for ultimately a sharper knife since you become more used to sharpening your knife, and the edge profile becomes more even over time. You shouldn't wait for it to get dull, you should do it just as it starts to show signs of degradation. This also makes the process faster since sharpening a knife from complete dullness to full sharpness takes much longer than going from relative sharpness to full sharpness.

I think that would be pretty excessive for a home cook. Even someone who's cooking a whole lot probably never makes more than 2 meals a day at home. So the average joe's knife probably sees less action in a couple weeks than yours see in a day.

I agree that frequent sharpening on your finest stone is probably a better idea than waiting six months and then having to go to a coarser stone because your edge is all messed up, but even an avid home cook should never need to sharpen more than once a month if they use a good cutting board and take good care of their knives.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Verisimilidude posted:

My issue was that the post I quoted spoke about professional cooks. Your regular home cook probably doesn't need to sharpen every week, but sharpening close to when the edge starts to show signs of less-than-optimal sharpness is doable at a roughly once-per-month frequency, especially since at that point it takes 15-30 minutes to bring it back to razor sharp. If you favor yourself a knife enthusiast or a culinarian just give it a shot. Your knife will appreciate it.

Sorry I'm not a native english speaker and I didn't get that "cook" meant professional cook in his sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I love how they say don't error the blade with your hand while constantly doing out

• Locked thread