Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

I got an oilstone a while back and I just had no idea what the gently caress. There are so many points of failure - are you consistent enough? Is your angle really correct? Is that a burr, or am I imagining things? Is this knife actually sharp? Am I pushing too hard, or not hard enough? I honestly just gave up last time and got a chef's choice because I couldn't deal with it. I know it's very simple once you know these things - there are just so many potential variables that you don't know what to ignore and what to pay attention to that it's very difficult to get an intuitive grasp of the process without having someone teach you.

I completely agree that hand-sharpening is the "best" - it's just really, really helpful to use a more controlled environment first.

Yeah, I am planning on selling all my other sharpening crap and getting an Edgepro to give me a baseline to work from and then getting some stones and learn to do it by hand. I have gotten pretty good at sharpening my axes and hatchets with a file and puck stone but somehow can't ever get decent results with knives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

you ate my cat posted:

they're crazy expensive.

Eh, when you look at what waterstones cost an Edgepro doesn't seem so bad. Hell, I probably have three times the price of an EP in kitchen and pocket knives.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I see that and just think "boy, that will be a pain to sharpen when I have drunkenly knocked my knife into something hard".

I have a pile of Globals that I bought years ago during a fit of wealth and silliness but honestly all I really use anymore is the pairing knife and a random chinese cleaver. The cleaver needs sharpening like every 1-2 weeks but it takes like 2m to get it shaving sharp on even a crappy sharpmaker and that means more to my drunk rear end then an insanely hard blade.

Also, going to steal your fingerprints and do some crimes.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What angle does a generic carbon Chinese cleaver want to be sharpened to?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Stalizard posted:

How thick is it? I have a pretty big one that tapers from about 5mm near the handle to about 2mm at the tip, I just convexed the bitch on a belt sander and I can mince onions and everything with it no problem.

I highly doubt that a generic carbon cleaver is going to be pushing 60 rockwell, that's mostly going to be the high end Japanese stuff.

It is .08" at the spine.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I want a little waterstone to travel with. Sometimes a I like to get drunk and sharpen my pocket knife in hotel rooms. I have a "medium" grit oil stone but it sucks to work with dry and using water with it doesn't seem to help. I have never really found a small (like cigarette lighter sized) waterstone before but maybe I was looking in the wrong places?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

DMT has a set of tiny ones.
http://www.amazon.com/DMT-W7EFC-Diamond-Whetstone-Stone/dp/B00004WFTD/

What you're looking for is ski sharpening stones.

Those mini stones are perfect!

Also, people sharpen skies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

And snowboards!

Basically it's restoring the edge profile... that's kinda like sharpening.

Nope, I'm just gonna keep on thinking that every skier is a Bond villein with razor skies.

• Locked thread