Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I recently upgraded my kitchen wares and love my knives.

First off, you're right about the bread knife. A lovely $10 is as good as a fancy $300 one.

As for a Chef's knife the Ken Onion Shuns seem to be discontinued so I picked up this one at a steal of a price.

I also got this paring knife for the same low low INSANE prices.

Here's a video of Alton Brown selling Shun knives but it's pretty informational about the difference between a typical bevel and a japanese bevel. Just keep in mind that Shun is by no means the end all be all of knives. They're just a personal preference. I know Demegogue likes them whereas pr0k likes his Globals. To each his own and YouTube is a wealth of knowledge on the differences between them all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKgGlpe45T0

Don't get me wrong. Some folks HATE Shun knives. You hold them differently than other knives. I personally feel like the way to hold them feels more natural than other knives.

As for the good in some ways and bad in others: I had a Kyocera Ceramic chef's knife. I LOVED this knife. The lightweight feel make cutting a big batch of veggies a pleasure. However they chip. Like SUPER loving EASY. I miss this guy but my others make me miss him a little bit less.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

FogHelmut posted:

My dad's Henckels looked like that after 10 years on the supplied Henckels pull through sharpener.

Same except it has been about 20+ years. It's his boning knife now.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

lol

the first obvious bullshit is $40 per knife, gently caress that dude. if he's restoring one completely destroyed with a chipped tip like his 2nd page photo, and it's like loving king authur's motherfucking excalibur of knives, fair enough - but just setting an edge, I mean come on. I realize there's the AUS/USD exchange rate too, but still...

second bullshit is 'longer the taper the sharper the knife' - more like 'the more I make your knife look different from factory, the more I can justify my $40 bullshit'.

no wonder your knife is polished as poo poo, the dude just loves grinding away at knives to remake them to his imaginary perfect specifications.

to be honest I'd be angry if someone took that much metal off my knife for a regular $5 sharpen. sure maybe the knife is sharp as poo poo, and maybe the dude did a good job and the edge will hold for a while - but you took like a centimeter of metal off my poo poo. gently caress you, go slowly destroy someone else's knives for $40. did I mention $40 is like pretty close to half the price of a brand new decent knife?

I have to agree with MP here. You got hosed. I'd be pissed that he made my knife look fugly regardless but he over charged you at the very least. I don't think I've ever paid more than $7 and that knife needed to be repaired to fix a chip.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Just rub them real good on your driveway. If you get the angle right it'll be good as new.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
You should be good if you've got a big enough rock. Just make sure it's at least 80 grit or so.

• Locked thread