Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I want to start cooking more fish, but my knives are all terrible and not up to the task of filleting. Are there any good, relatively cheap knives anyone recommends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mindphlux posted:

I'm still disgusted that my expensive rear end japanese carbon steel whatever knife loving chipped when I chopped a tortilla chip in midair.

I mean come on.

heavily leaning towards the german side of things. I'll probably buy one more high carbon knife, but between my MAC's and Wüsthofs I don't know. cost/reward doesn't seem to be there for getting more spergy than that. someone tell me if I'm wrong and I need to buy the One True Knife. (but I thought I had, and then it chipped on a goddamn torilla chip. :mad: )

edit : to be fair, who tries to split a tortilla chip in twine in midair with an expensive knife? :barf:

I think you're wrong and you should buy the One True Knife. Does this help?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Well, that would have saved me a bit of money, having just purchased that stuff last week.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

:drat:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I wouldn't put a knife in there.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goodness posted:

Alright, just ordered myself the Victorinox Chef's Knife and a Wusthof Paring Knife. Time to learn to cook finally.

I was going to work on breaking down a whole chicken this week. The chef's knife should be fine for cutting through the wishbone and such right?

Yes, I have the same knife and it has no problem cutting through a wishbone.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

But cutting through the wishbone is pretty easy anyway, if you want to.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I just cut myself a few days ago for the first time in at least 5 years. I was doing something dumb while cutting up some onions and made a little 2mm skin flap in my index finger.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Don't ceramic rods work by sharpening rather than straightening the edge anyway?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I can bring my Victorinox chef's knife back to reasonably sharp with just a few minutes on my ceramic rod. I don't have any other method of sharpening right now but it works ok.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

How does it cause problems? What sort of problems are you talking about?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Transmetropolitan posted:

Re: Victorinox, I was wondering if a ceramic rod would be a good idea for those knives. Would it be decent enough to keep it sharp?

That's the combo I have and it seems fine.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I bought one last fall for a little less than $35. That's not a bad price for that knife, I think.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

How would you do a convex grind at home? Rotate the blade as you move it across the stone?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

coyo7e posted:

I'd say he most likely tried to open a beer bottle, from the way it's shaped. Either that or maybe there was a nail or something he was trying to pry up? I've caught roommates using my chef knife to bash a block of cheese against the counter, because they didn't know that bigger blade = harder job. Either way, it's the reason you get a security deposit. :(

:laffo: Nice reply to a 27 month old post

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

You should try a recently sharpened knife. You maybe just forgot what using one of those is like? No knife holds a good edge for 5 years.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Zudgemud posted:

I guess it is too late to polish the edge on that knife with some simple fix?

Well, as long as there's still metal there, it can still be sharpened

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

My Victorinox Fibrox chef's knife can slice tomatoes without smushing them and I sharpen it 2-3x per year and steel it after use. It cost me $35 I think?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I just ordered my first Japanese knife, which is also my first carbon steel knife. It's a Hiromoto petty knife, aogami super steel with stainless cladding. I hope I like it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I have an Aogami Blue #2 knife and it's pretty cool and good.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I would not want to get stabbed by that safety knife

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I don't know. Sorry.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I use this to cut bread, op:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kofuw1daya.html

It's nice and long for cool slicing action

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Get a Bob Kramer knife

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I've bought two knives from CKTG and they were both good. What better places are there to get knives?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I don't think Japan has good knife stores.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I don't live in the UK, op.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Are there really many knives which come from the factory at a 35 degree edge?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rockcity posted:

Check out Tower Knives near Tokyo Tower. I just bought two knives at their Osaka location. You can see my post just a little bit back. They were super helpful and let me test out knives on veggies.

It's legal to test knives on your wife in Japan?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I've bought 2 knives from CKTG and they're both good. That's hard data.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Get this one imo: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/suhowh1pe15.html

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I don't care

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mindphlux posted:

I really think we should remake the knife thread

I'm so tired of people coming in here being like "I don't know what I should get, should I get a Tojiro DP????"

the OP is basically uninformative, lists "Tojiro DP" for like every knife category, I don't know who the hell the poster is.

I'll go ahead and nominate SubG as the most suited person to remake the knife thread. I'll do it if need be.

Kinfolk Jones - check out MAC santokus. they are my absolute favs. my wife is tiny, they are her favorites as well.

How’s chef knives to go treating you these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

He's not wrong about it being the "everyone who has a question should just get a torijro" thread, but go ahead and pretend his occasional misunderstanding regarding an unrelated question invalidates anything else he says, clearly it's a helpful and informative position to take.

I'm not saying that, I just think it's funny he keeps getting confused.

• Locked thread