Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Amazing knives, dude. Been waiting for this thread forever, as a cook and kind of a knife nerd .

From left to right, top to bottom. Top row is house knives, a cck cleaver, an Asian market cleaver and a mundial boner. The middle cleaver was actually the first knife I ever bought with my own money like 6 years ago.

I brought home my knife bag today to do some sharpening on my day off/hence the picture. So...

Some yanagi that I bought off eBay for like $80 but is actually pretty awesome had to wait a few months for it but worth it. Then, a 270mm carbon fujiwara. It was the first knife I bought as an intern. Spent the last two years restoring it because I didn't know how to sharpen/take care of it so I screwed up the angles.

Next, a 270mm kanemasa sujihiki, pretty good knife for the money. Next is then a carbon tojiro gyuto. For $60 not bad I had to thin the hell out of the blade because it was really thick when I first got it. it's very reactive though. I let a girl at work use it.

Then the cheap deba from epicedge.com. its a great knife. Wish I got to use it more.
After that is the tosagata nikri which is my best veggie knife, but slightly reactive, so no onions/shallots after sharpening.

Next is a sweet todafusa nashiji santoku from epicedge.com. carbon/ss clad knife. Great line knife for limited space. Nicest fit/finish out of all of my knives. Then there us a fujiwara petty I never use, and my Kuhn rikon paring knife, which I highly recommend for a lovely cheap paring knife.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Yeah, don't worry about cutting a butternut squash and chipping your knife. Just know that if your knife hits the floor there goes the tip, and you're going to go crazy until you sharpen it again and redo the tip. Also don't let anyone use your knife because they won't understand. My chef hosed up my nakiri and my veg cleaver because because he didn't understand you can't just hack at poo poo.

And know to wipe it off after cutting acidic things like lemons or limes because they will rust really quick.

• Locked thread