Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR
I have a japanese water stone with I believe 2k and 6k grit (not at home or else I'd check). I like it a lot but I'm not 100% sure if I'm using it optimally. What would be the best way to know if I am?

Obviously the knife is getting sharpened but I've never experienced "OH GOD IT TOUCHED ME AND MY ARM IS OFF" sharp. I have an 8" Wusthof.

gobboboy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR
I'm probably a gigantic knife noob for this, but I've been considering getting this Damascus chef's knife.

http://www.amazon.com/Yoshihiro-Cutlery-Hammered-Damascus-7-Inch/dp/B00D6DVUCK

After weighing what I've heard, I'd like to get a japanese knife to try it out and I absolutely love the look of Damascus steel. Is this a good one to go with or is there something very wrong with this that I should know? Does Damascus sharpen normally with a water stone?

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR
Yeah, I have an 8" currently so I guess I'll stick with that. Glad to hear sharpening would go just as easy. I'm pretty happy with the price but I guess that has to do with only 16 damascus layers. Thanks guys!

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR
WHAT HAVE I DONE!?

• Locked thread