Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

UK LARP!

If, like me, you're a UK goon you might find SA can be a bit american-centric so lets also discuss UK LARPs.

First the smaller scale. Most universities have local larp groups so if you want to play some live elfgame they can be the best place to start looking. If you want to look online then the UK LARP group on facebook seems to be the best place to start.

For bigger, national events there are a few big players.

Currently (I think) still the biggest is Lorien Trust. Last I heard their summer event, the Gathering, is the biggest UK larp event.
Profound Decisions run two different LARPs, Empire and Odyssey. I've never been to Odyssey but it sounds pretty interesting. I managed to get to event one of Empire, which is in it's first year, and it was pretty good. It was also the coldest larp event I've ever been to.
Curious Pastimes, I've never been to. But the people I know who go are generally pretty cool. I'd love to hear more about it if you know anything.
Outkast is specifically aimed at families more. As a grumpy person who is wedded to swearing I've never been so if anyones heard anything I'd appreaciate it.

There are lots, lots of other games out there that I know I'll miss if I try and list them all but I'm friends with some of the organisers of Serenety, I'm one of the organisers of Zombie Larp and I really, really, really, really want to play Death unto Darkness at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

So, Kids at events, for big events where a lot of the event is walking about trading and chatting and drinking or whatever quite a lot of the time people want to bring their families along. Some systems allow it, some don't. Some say "please don't swear around children", some say "please don't swear" and some say "if you bring your kids they're gonna hear rude things". Whatever, each place does it differently. Now most places have some refs dedicated to running stuff for kids but what I've found really interesting is the way Profound Decisions (PD) have done things in Empire.

What PD has decided to do is theme the kids stuff around an Acadamy. Kids turn up and learn everything they need to learn about how to be a citizen of the Empire. They learn about magic, about the Imperial Orks and when they're old enough they learn about combat.

The interesting part of this is that they tie this in to approving younger people for combat OC. I've talked to the refs about how pleased they were when the first kid, a 14 year old, passed his combat test and was allowed to go on the battlefield later that event. One of refs who works at the academy plays in my group and the excitement they show in getting to RP and teach RP to the younger generation is really wonderful to see.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Being cold at empire 1 is going to be some kind of badge of honor for a long time.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

If you want to go to Empire I would suggest the following

Work out what you want to play, if you have a few friends then plan a rough group.
Ask around locally to see if there are people who already go, see what they do. If there are multiple groups maybe you can find one that you could join. If not I would suggest arranging OC to be friends IC with them in advance.
Maybe join the facebook group, if you need it there is also the group "Empire LRP: Travel Arrangements" which is really worth joining.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Camrath posted:

So endeth another Lorien Trust season- during which I managed to break my shoulder through fighting while out of my gourd on painkillers, set up a massively profitable brothel, make more money per event than I'd made in the previous eight years put together, find my other half was being semi-stalked by a combined LARPer/Furry/Sexual predator and other adventures.

Anyone here actually do the LT or is it all just Empire types? Would be great to get some goons together in the field at some point!

I only briefly LT'd. Some of my friends are thinking of going but if we do it'll be far, far into the casual and silly side of things rather than the plot side of things. Really it'll be an excuse to sit around and get stoned & drunk

• Locked thread