Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
When I was a kid I loved Head Cheese (I liked Al Snow because Foley liked him, and I liked Steve Blackman because he's Steve loving Blackman,) and I was devastated when the team broke up and proceeded to pretty much nothing at all for the rest of the year. That being said, in retrospect it doesn't surprise me at all that they would put on terrible matches, even though literally everybody in that tag match was at least a decent wrestler.

I also hated that neither Lillian Garcia nor the chyrons ever literally said "Head Cheese."

Also, holy poo poo, in retrospect it's absolutely unbelievable that Trish Stratus spent a Wrestlemania managing a lukewarm tag team while Goldust and Jerry Lawler's wives had an actual match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
Nowadays I understand that No Way Out was supposed to be a "passing of the torch" match between Foley and HHH, but I'll never stop being unhappy with the booking of the Wrestlemania main event. At this point HHH hadn't lost a PPV match since Survivor Series and Mankind literally hadn't won one clean since Summerslam, and Mick Foley coming out of retirement just to add another slash to the losing streak will never sit well with me.

Plus, if I'm not totally mistaken, this was the first Wrestlemania where the main event was won by a heel, and while I'm sure many will say HHH was a worthy person to end that streak... I'm, well, not one of those people. If anything, it should have been Taker in a heel role, as sort of a "two streaks collide" type deal.

I think the storyline they teased would happen if Mick Foley won the title, with him vacating it upon retirement and a series of tournaments being held to determine the next champion, would have been really compelling television, especially because if I'm not mistaken (I might be, I was a sixth grader at the time,) D-X was almost completely divorced from the main storyline by this point and things started to get a little monotonous until Stone Cold and Undertaker came back from their injuries.

I've been rewatching some 1999 pay-per-views lately, and it made me regret that Davey Boy Smith's WWF title push ended with a loss at No Mercy. I know that at this point he had been pretty messed up from all his WCW injuries and whatever crap he was putting in his body, but after Wrestlemania it would have been cool if he was around to occasionally break up the monotony of the various combinations of The Rock, HHH, Big Show and (sometimes) Kane and Benoit that kept happening until Kurt Angle won the title.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

God Of Paradise posted:

If they say, scrapped the Hardcore battle royale, or the horrible tag match and put, I dunno, Guerrero vs Owen, or Taz vs Shamrock for the HC Title, it would of been a way better Wrestlemania.

Wait, are we talking about the Owen that had been dead for almost a year by the time WM2000 happened?

e:fb, by a long shot. But I will point out Ken Shamrock had been gone since Summerslam 1999.

Castomira fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 14, 2013

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

That was the last PPV match Davey Boy ever had. :smith:

He didn't even have any storylines by this point, because of his drug problems. You'd never even have thought he used to be kind of a big deal.

• Locked thread