Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you don't give Big Show / Angle 5/5 I'll kill you.

I also seem to remember not liking Jericho/Benoit as I think he just drops the title like 48 hours later so it's all a bit :iiam:

TV around this time was great. Rock was a great title chaser. Especially as all you had to do was have Rock go "I'm going to win the title, I guaren-drat-te it. If ya smeeeeell etc etc etc" (Which he did two times a week for four weeks) and then have a guest enforcer who was super over which told the fans they were going to see a title change.

As a result, he fans knew they were going to see Hunter beat, they WANTED to see Hunter beat, and they WANTED to see Stone Cold come out. So they all went "My money, take it!".

Back in the day they didn't care that you knew what the result would be, they just made you want to see it.

edit: Also, I think it's still a record for a non Invasion/Big 4 PPV.

edit: and have we had Jericho's burial and the end of his run as a possible super-star? That's around this time anyway. I guess that's what you get for being "too short". :sigh:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, and then he wins the belt on Raw or Smackdown or something. So stupid. And let's be fair, WWF were probably as well booked then as they've been since but they still hosed that up.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Guerrero v Owen would of made the card way better, for sure.

And I'm not sure that Taz and Shamrock would be much better than Eddie wrestling someone who'd been dead for six months either.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Austin was fresh of surgery and shouldn't have even been in the ring. But, people wanted to see the title change hands and they had to guarantee it so...

Also, did the promos with the little girls start? They may have started at the next raw, I can't remember.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just checking, I think they start on the next RAW. So just pretend you're intrigued instead of knowing it'll mean a run in to a on hour main event giving it a screwy finish. :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Similarly Angle/Benoit defended the tag titles against Eddie and Chavo in 2002, which was not an amazing match, but really well worked with great selling, bumping, a clear story, some fun spots and classic a Heyman finish (oodles of shenanigans leading to a clean pin).

edit: The only problem with the match is it's a bit slow for the first part (even if they're setting up the story for the end), but once they get to the planned part of the match (the back half) it's really great.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The TV was good around this time still. I kinda enjoyed it more than the PPVs because the angles and such were fun, even if every main event was Rock v Someone w/ HHH in a steel cage.

I agree with getting the belt of Rock, he was a better chaser than champion as a face, but I don't like having to go an hour leading to a screwy finish.

edit: And I'm 99% sure Jericho had been buried on RAW by now thus ending his chance at being the next whomever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think the problem with this match is it is a huge waste of time if you know the result. Unlike say the Steamboat/Flair matches which are still great matches to watch if you know what happens, this one is like "Yeah, meaninglessly trade falls for 55 minutes then Undertaker comes in and costs the finish" and I know that you could do a better match only going 30 minutes, or just a standard match or a different gimmick. I think it gets three and a half stars for effort, and not being a complete poo poo show, and probably gets that extra half star just because of it being a good spectacle (like everything from this period).

I mean, at the end of the day, you're saying it's not as good as Shane v Show and I think that is probably incorrect, but that's my point of view. I will admit that Show v Shane didn't waste my time so much.

• Locked thread