Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Frankston posted:

I still don't understand the Rikishi thing to this day. It didn't make sense to 12 year old me, and it doesn't make sense to 25 year old me.

It makes sense if you consider that in 2000, they were still relatively thin at the top of the card and the creative team was interested in the Angle/Triple H program leading to a slow-burning Triple H face turn so they needed a top heel to take his place. Rikishi had gotten very popular very fast, and by making him the guy who ran over Austin you've got two ready-made programs for him with Austin and Rock to help push him into the main event for good. Of course, in reality the fans loved Rikishi, Midcard Babyface and Friend to Too Cool, and had no interest at all in Rikishi, Main Event Samoan Heel. Big Show would've probably made more sense, since Austin getting hit by the car was what led to Show getting booked in the world title match that night, but he was stuck in OVW trying to lose weight so that was never going to happen.

I'm about 99% certain that the Rikishi turn is what led to Chris Kreski losing the head writer position and the reign of terror Stephanie McMahon held over the writing team for the next several years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Yeah that Undertaker/Kurt match inspired quite the rant from one of the dirtsheet guys, it was pretty funny.

And when people say "Oh Bikertaker wasn't that bad" you basically point them to that match to shut them up. No one should be able to have a match that bad with Kurt Angle.

Bikertaker was a one-note bully character regardless of alignment who seemed to exist solely to bury anyone who got into the ring with him.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

They fed Page to Taker because Taker decided that "Dallas couldn't work." because he planned out matches very meticulously.

Taker decides that a lot.

This gets funnier when you realize that the only reason Taker is considered even a passable wrestler is because he spent the last decade on a limited schedule, mostly working meticulously planned Wrestlemania matches.

• Locked thread