Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
If it's the same one as in Batoto it's probably because the grammar was awful, especially in the text-only part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I really shouldn't have read it. :(

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Not that terrible translations are ever really good, but this comic is definitely one that if you're gonna half-rear end the translation (or can't do any better because English is your umpteenth language or you know zero advanced physics) you really shouldn't bother.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
The omakes seem to be canon, and based on the drill one, Gaku x Yukari could be mechanically complex... :allears:

The thing about this series that stands out to me is how the original novel was clearly intricately plotted and respected the reader's intelligence - but between the subtle visual touches, the way the story was structured and the clever (presumably) original stuff in the omakes, you can tell the mangaka really gave it their all too.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting all of these other translations to be going on at the same time, though considering how long it was since the last chapter was translated, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that other people thought to pick up the torch. Clearly, this must be the manga attempting to collapse all of its waveforms into a single unified translation.

But yeah, not only did /a/ upload some chapters, it looks like someone named Penguin Zero was trying to translate it as well (and did an alright job on the extras). Furthermore, it looks like it's already been translated in Spanish and Italian? Part of me says to just step back and let the others handle it if they want to, since I do still feel a little amateurish, but I think that I might still try and translate this chapter, since not only does it provide good practice, it lets me really look at all the intricacies of the chapter in depth and, hopefully, pass that experience on to you. Still, let me know if you have any information on what's going on with the other translators.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Please finish the last chapter, the only translation I've seen of it was much less readable than the ones you've done previously.

Does anyone still have the link to the guy who was translating the LN and has it been updated recently?

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

It's here and no progress has been made since it was last linked. The most recent translation is some creepy gross web-novel.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, that was the best story about gradually becoming God that I've read recently.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Well, that was a beautiful ending, right? Science can be so romant-

Oh Gaku...

I know, it's a very small update. Just figured I'd tease you guys and let you know I'm working on it. Also, check out that callback (quite literally) to the end of chapter 8!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first two pages already make more sense than the lovely translation I read.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

RESTART! (cuz I didn't like the way I phrased the 2nd page)

More updates coming hopefully soon (boy do I have a newfound respect for how some translators get this stuff done in no time at all)

Interesting start to the chapter, though, to say the least. Was it really all just a dream? Are we seeing the Copenhagen Interpretation at work here like we have in previous chapters (most notably the Magic chapter), where there is only one true reality and everything else that transpired has been reasoned out to be a mere dream from the very start? It's an odd reference that probably no-one will get, but it made me think of old Flash comics where the Flash has been able to think, at lightning-speed, of a million possible scenarios and their outcomes, and then make a choice based on those. Gaku may not be able to superposition herself through parallel universes using quantum interference anymore, but maybe she had a secret talent to overthink all along.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 30, 2015

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

These pages were pretty fun to translate, and I plan on revisiting them a bit later. It's fun to work with all of these insults, puns, and smack-talk. Makes me think of dubs like Shin-Chan or Stein's Gate where they totally rework the dialogue: I wasn't sure how far I wanted to take it from the original source material.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Continued thanks, friend. I'd love to see alternate versions of this where you're a bit more liberal with the translation.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
This has been an amazing ride, I can't wait to see this all wrapped up at long last. I can't even remember when I started reading this series, but it feels like two or three lifetimes ago now.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Read the final chapters last night after awaiting their translation. Chapter 18 was kinda miserable to get through due to the poor translation and I hadn't realized someone else did them and that this thread is still very close to finishing them up. I'm looking forward to a re-read since that was kind of a bummer out; though let's face it, the fun was over when Chapter 17 ended. I'll miss the awe and wonder this manga gave me since reality-based scientific theory is so hard to come by in stories. Has the writer done anything else of similar interest?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Looking through wikipedia.... the original LN was written by Ueo Hisamitsu who.... has a few older works but nothing anybody seems to have picked up, nevermind manga adaptations.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

More friendship stuff! Next time: the epilogue!

Check out that thread title reference! We've truly come full circle now! (ActionZero, did you know it was gonna end like this? Are you Gaku Prime?)

As I said before, I'll most likely comb over these pages a few more times to work out the kinks, but I felt it was in a good enough state to present to you guys for now. Again, I had a lot of fun translating these pages as I was trying to capture a unique 'personality' for both Gaku and Alice in their battle of wits. For Gaku, I tried to use more conversational colloquialisms when it was appropriate, and for Alice, I tried to use intellectual verbosity to capture her speech patterns: words like inconceivable!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Continued thanks, friend. I'd love to see alternate versions of this where you're a bit more liberal with the translation.

I try not to go too overboard, but I've been a bit liberal with my choices here. A good example would be the page where they are starting to walk back towards school. Gaku addresses Alice by her name, and Alice remarks at Gaku's overly casual way of addressing her. In turn, Gaku fires back at her that she has always called her by her name, and then sarcastically calls her a 'foreigner' as a good-natured tease. In essence, this plays off of Japanese honorifics where Gaku is not 'honoring' Alice appropriately with the right suffix, which is a complicated thing that I try to obfuscate from the reader whenever possible because I never want to assume that they have any deep knowledge of Japanese culture (ironically, though, most people who read manga are familiar with it nowadays, so perhaps it's my own foolishness). So instead, I leveraged the already established 'royalty' phrasing which Alice uses with terms like 'peon', and changed it to be that she wants to be referred to as 'queen', which in my eyes is a simple equivalent to keeping the status of honorifics. Then, the insult of 'foreigner' is changed to 'royal pain-in-the-butt' to fit with Gaku's previously established colloquialisms and Alice's high-handed royalty phrasing. Tada!

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 10, 2015

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Not only is that some top quality localization (I wouldn't have even guessed if you hadn't explained!) but that's a pretty drat fantastic end to the series!

Maybe I've just been reading too many horribly dark things lately, but now I'm expecting the epilogue to be "And then Yukari died anyways because gently caress Gaku".

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

what
:psyduck:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Was Gaku always that much taller than everyone else?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

But what of the swimsuit chapter

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

nielsm posted:

I was thinking this as well, she's huge compared to the others at the end there!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

nielsm posted:

She and Tenjou are about the same height, but Alice is several years younger and skipped grades and I think Yukari is just a shortie.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I want to believe that the exact wording came about purely by accident but I doubt it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm not sure I get the ending. Yukari is still a few months away from death right? It's more of an acceptance thing?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I kind of got the impression that it wasn't going to happen this time around but I dunno. Maybe the epilogue will show what happens next?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gaku gave agency back to Yukari and that magically saves her?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

nielsm posted:

Gaku gave agency back to Yukari and that magically saves her?

I guess. Also while Yukari has agency, Gaku honestly telling Yukari she doesn't want her to leave simply because she doesn't want her to leave instead of because she has future knowledge of her death would contribute. And then there's the thing where Gaku befriended Alice and everyone knows friendship solves all problems in anime.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

My personal interpretation is that Gaku wasn't able to save Yukari because Yukari's death was what caused her to become the trans-universal being in the first place. Abandoning the power she eventually obtained allowed her to exist again in a universe that isn't constructed on Yukari's vivisected corpse. There's no guarantee now that she'll live or die, but by allowing Yukari to make her own choices and bringing Alice into their little group of friends, Gaku hopes that this now-uncertain and open-ended future will go in a different direction.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
With as trippy as this story has been it's hard for me to draw any solid conclusion on Yukari's fate or even if it really has all been a dream. All I can say conclusively is that you translators have done a heck of a job. Thanks to you I have heard of Fermat's principle :yayclod:.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

NowonSA posted:

With as trippy as this story has been it's hard for me to draw any solid conclusion on Yukari's fate or even if it really has all been a dream. All I can say conclusively is that you translators have done a heck of a job. Thanks to you I have heard of Fermat's principle :yayclod:.

Gotta give props to Future Cop for sticking with it. Usually when i try to read manga I do my best to understand it and individually look up the words I don't know. By the time I gave up, I was just typing everything into google translate and trying to make sense of what it could possibly mean.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mindblast posted:

I want to believe that the exact wording came about purely by accident but I doubt it.

I don't get it, what's special about that wording?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't get it, what's special about that wording?

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Qualia the Purple: Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ardeem posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Qualia the Purple: Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

I thought the thread title was from the manga already. And even if not, the guy translating it posts here, he presumably sees that line every time reads the thread.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I thought the thread title was from the manga already. And even if not, the guy translating it posts here, he presumably sees that line every time reads the thread.

This thread was posted in June 2013 and hasn't been renamed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Blhue posted:

This thread was posted in June 2013 and hasn't been renamed.

I know, I followed it for a good portion of that time. I thought it might have been from earlier in the manga. Plus, again, even if it wasn't it just means that a guy used a fairly generic phrase about Fermat's Principle to translate a line in a manga about Fermat's Principle.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Mindblast posted:

The literal translation is very close to it, so it definitely could've happened by accident. But you better believe that I was grinning ear-to-ear when I chose to phrase it that exact way. :dance:

Dr_Amazing posted:

Gotta give props to Future Cop for sticking with it. Usually when i try to read manga I do my best to understand it and individually look up the words I don't know. By the time I gave up, I was just typing everything into google translate and trying to make sense of what it could possibly mean.

Cheers man; it's all thanks to you for starting this big project in the first place, as well as everyone else dipping in with help, so the massive props go to you all! :golfclap: I'm still an amateur at this, so I'm really appreciative for everyone's help in creating this opportunity to expand my horizons. This definitely is one of the trickier mangas to start with, and it's easy to get caught in endless loops of wanting to redo pages, but like Gaku, I just have to do my best and move forward.

Hopefully I can get the epilogue up soon to help you all along with your interpretations!

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 11, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

glomkettle posted:

My personal interpretation is that Gaku wasn't able to save Yukari because Yukari's death was what caused her to become the trans-universal being in the first place.

This is actually kind of beautiful in it's simplicity. Gaku explored an infinite number of universes, but they were all universes in which Yukari dies. She couldn't not exist as a multiuniversal being in a universe where Yukari lives.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Captain Bravo posted:

This is actually kind of beautiful in it's simplicity. Gaku explored an infinite number of universes, but they were all universes in which Yukari dies. She couldn't not exist as a multiuniversal being in a universe where Yukari lives.

The one thing I liked about the 2001 or so adaptation of the time machine was the realization that you can't save your wife with a time machine you only invented because she died. There was a really brutal montage of his wife getting murdered by random rear end things over and over again and I think he went to the future and humanity's last active holographic info desk AI spelled it out for him. I'm sure that conceit was in better fiction for a hundred drat years earlier but I must have missed it. I had my mind blown, briefly, by a truly awful movie.

Wow what a ride. Thanks for the translations. Thanks for starting the thread. It was a real nice feeling of going off the rails again and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Krinkle posted:

The one thing I liked about the 2001 or so adaptation of the time machine was the realization that you can't save your wife with a time machine you only invented because she died. There was a really brutal montage of his wife getting murdered by random rear end things over and over again and I think he went to the future and humanity's last active holographic info desk AI spelled it out for him. I'm sure that conceit was in better fiction for a hundred drat years earlier but I must have missed it. I had my mind blown, briefly, by a truly awful movie.

It wasn't the AI, it was the Morlock thinker caste dude. I don't really remember how he knew or why he delivered that information so smugly, but I definitely remember it happening.

• Locked thread