Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There's a rumor that ADA viruses haven't been hackable since green won the last anomaly. Similar to the disappearing XM punishment.

I haven't paid attention enough to notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
You mean there might be a use for the 500+ viruses the MUFGs duplicates for me? I could use some inventory space...

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

TheresaJayne posted:

Adas and Jarvises don't seem to dupe at the moment - and its looking like we will lose Jarvises at the end of VIA LUX

I'm still getting viruses in my MUFGs, plus I doubt very much that they would remove one and not both as it would be a massive unbalance for the game.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

spiny posted:

I'm still getting viruses in my MUFGs, plus I doubt very much that they would remove one and not both as it would be a massive unbalance for the game.

Thats the point, we cannot hack ada, but we can still hack jarvis, VIA LUX is already looking like a smurf whitewash, so its likely the 2 options are

1) bring back Ada hacking
2) remove jarvises the same way ADA have been removed, meaning they become ultra rare only duping in MUFG

spiny
May 20, 2004

TheresaJayne posted:

Thats the point, we cannot hack ada, but we can still hack jarvis, VIA LUX is already looking like a smurf whitewash, so its likely the 2 options are

1) bring back Ada hacking
2) remove jarvises the same way ADA have been removed, meaning they become ultra rare only duping in MUFG

Ah, I thought the other poster meant they would be removed from inventory, not just unhackable, your post makes more sense.

Making both unhackable for an amount of time / ever would be an interesting strategy, I have loads of both at the moment which I use just to annoy the other side, but I'd start hoarding them I think :)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Is there anyplace that keeps up a quick tl;dr "Cliff's Notes" summary of the latest plot developments? I haven't bothered to even watch an Ingress Report video in like a year, so I hadn't even heard of the ADA outage until reading this thread.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Powered Descent posted:

Is there anyplace that keeps up a quick tl;dr "Cliff's Notes" summary of the latest plot developments? I haven't bothered to even watch an Ingress Report video in like a year, so I hadn't even heard of the ADA outage until reading this thread.

This is a summary of everything that's happened so far: http://imgur.com/a/E4sG7

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

MUFG used to have equal duplication rates for rare and common items and it really messed up the game balance.

There were players amassing hoards of AXA until their magic capsules were gifting them 20 or more freebies per day.

It's been rebalanced quite a bit. A capsule with 95 bursters could easily be full 24 hours later, but the same number of viruses may get you one (or none) in a week.
Pretend that a crying Very Rare Link Amp emoticon exists and I responded with it.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 31, 2016

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

I'm coming up on 70 million AP, 4 anomalies attended and 710 missions done. I'm still excited to play this game, and I look forward to see what Niantic brings out next.

If you're not attending your local First Saturday events, if they exist - check here:

https://fevgames.net/ifs-listings/

These events get you out to meet your own faction or the opposite faction and are a good source of AP and unique portals!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Wax Dynasty posted:

This is a summary of everything that's happened so far: http://imgur.com/a/E4sG7

Was half expecting the link to be goatse, but it's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

TheShazbot posted:

I'm coming up on 70 million AP, 4 anomalies attended and 710 missions done. I'm still excited to play this game, and I look forward to see what Niantic brings out next.

If you're not attending your local First Saturday events, if they exist - check here:

https://fevgames.net/ifs-listings/

These events get you out to meet your own faction or the opposite faction and are a good source of AP and unique portals!

Nothing within several hundred miles of Georgia :smith:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

GWBBQ posted:

Pretend that a crying Very Rare Link Amp emoticon exists and I responded with it.

It was a real problem in places where one side is heavily outnumbered. We reached a point where nearly every portal in town had 4 AXA installed. Niantic acknowledged by cranking up the ultra strike mod-knocking probability for a bit right after reworking MUFG rates.

Anyways: hack 300 new unique portals in the month of September and get a new badge, so go play somewhere new.

https://plus.google.com/+Ingress/posts/2ocJHk7LXBp

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

DizzyBum posted:

Nothing within several hundred miles of Georgia :smith:
Anyone can submit and host a first Saturday. Be the change you want to see!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/111253368905150976251

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

The latest scanner update is... interesting

code:
FEATURES/FIXES v1.106.1
* Attempting reinit 080483be <main>:
80483be: 8d 4c 24 04 lea 0x4(%esp),%ecx
80483c2: 83 e4 f0 and $0xfffffff0,%esp
80483c5: ff 71 fc pushl 0xfffffffc(%ecx)
80483c8: 55 push %ebp
There's also a quick surprise during Ada's welcoming speech.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Pentaro posted:

The latest scanner update is... interesting

code:
FEATURES/FIXES v1.106.1
* Attempting reinit 080483be <main>:
80483be: 8d 4c 24 04 lea 0x4(%esp),%ecx
80483c2: 83 e4 f0 and $0xfffffff0,%esp
80483c5: ff 71 fc pushl 0xfffffffc(%ecx)
80483c8: 55 push %ebp
There's also a quick surprise during Ada's welcoming speech.

minor text fixes.

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

GWBBQ posted:

I made a bunch of them and never did poo poo with them except give them away, so eh. They make lovely guest gifts.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

I'm really enjoying the grind for the Via Lux Adventures badge, I've hacked 587 new things in the last two weeks. Hoping to do a lot more!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

TheShazbot posted:

I'm really enjoying the grind for the Via Lux Adventures badge, I've hacked 587 new things in the last two weeks. Hoping to do a lot more!

Thanks for making the top 25% badge harder for everyone, jerk.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Hahahaha no. People were making G+ posts the first weekend with 2K new upv. If you don't live in a major city or travel for a living, it ain't happening.

HDC
Mar 11, 2006
Top 25% is about 850+ right now

spiny
May 20, 2004

I'm at about +50 :/

I've been trying to plan a visit to a few cities over weekends, but stuff always seems to come up.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

HDC posted:

Top 25% is about 850+ right now

How do you know this? I figured the vast majority of people would get the 300 and be done. That is of the people that try for the badge, the vast majority doesn't give a poo poo. My guess was 3X or 900 would be the cut off when all is said and done. But that's pure conjecture on my part and if there is some actual information about how this is shaking out I'd love to know. At 773 I need to either step up my game or quit trying.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
People are collecting stats from the agent-stats website and coming up with those numbers. There have been more words efforted on the topic than you even want to know.

I'm sitting at like 250 or so, with a big trip out of state next weekend so I'm not worried.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I'm stopping at 300 to make it easier for you over-achievers. Also lol when they roll the same challenge out next anomaly and you've exhausted every unique within a reasonable travel distance trying to get in the top 25% for this one.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Sucks that I've touched just about every portal in northern Ohio. This is gonna be a real struggle for me unless I decide to go far away.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

bizwank posted:

Also lol when they roll the same challenge out next anomaly and you've exhausted every unique within a reasonable travel distance trying to get in the top 25% for this one.

I figure next will be unique caps 'cause 90% of my unique haks I've also capped. The irony that I could have saved the caps for later is much more satisifying.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

drewhead posted:

I figure next will be unique caps 'cause 90% of my unique haks I've also capped. The irony that I could have saved the caps for later is much more satisifying.

There's a large cemetery here with about 350 portals that I leveled up twice in. Once getting my gold Explorer and then the next time getting my gold Pioneer. It was nice.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

eddiewalker posted:

Haha, right?

I suspect this badge is going to get wrecked by spoofers and multi-accounters/botters however and all my ~effort~ will be lost.

jeef
Jun 1, 2004

next badge should be create a >20km link or something. that would be fun for everyone imho

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I think they are going to stick with variations of badges that already exist. I predict it will be something like do 50 missions or trek 100 km or create 200 fields. I would like to see a cross-game badge like catch 100 pokemons.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
So how about this thing?

Four layers of that went up between 2:15 and 2:30 PST - just after the 2 PM checkpoint. It was taken out at two of the three corners well before the 7 PM checkpoint, but stayed "up" from server lag long enough to still be scored at 7.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Ingress on facebook just posted that 600+ will currently get you the 25%-er medal.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Javid posted:

So how about this thing?

The teamwork and coordination that went into making that is amazing. Well done, green team.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
See that blue layered diamond over Kansas/Missouri just to the east of the mega field?

We got that thing down within the first CP, but it's been ghosted up for almost 24 hours so far.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Javid posted:

Four layers of that went up between 2:15 and 2:30 PST - just after the 2 PM checkpoint. It was taken out at two of the three corners well before the 7 PM checkpoint, but stayed "up" from server lag long enough to still be scored at 7.
235M mu and It was taken down at all three corners by blatant spoofers. Too bad Niantic doesn't make any money off this game or they might actually do something to stem the cheating. It sucks to see so much real work and effort be torn down with just a few clicks, no matter which team put it up,

spiny posted:

Ingress on facebook just posted that 600+ will currently get you the 25%-er medal.
Keep in mind that number will change the more people go over it or stop at 300 (I'm at 308 and holding). Current guestimate among the overachievers is that you should be aiming for 1000-1200 for now considering the upcoming anomalies and agents traveling to new cities.

jeef
Jun 1, 2004

Went to Gettysburg today and got 475 unique visits in the National Park and town. Hadn't really played much since PoGo came out but it was a nice change of pace. I hope these challenges continue to be a thing.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

bizwank posted:

Keep in mind that number will change the more people go over it or stop at 300 (I'm at 308 and holding). Current guestimate among the overachievers is that you should be aiming for 1000-1200 for now considering the upcoming anomalies and agents traveling to new cities.

Great timing for the Colonial Pipeline to sprint a leak and cause gas shortages on the east coast. We did find gas coming home Saturday on I85 in Spartenburg but the first two places we stopped were out. Fuuuuuuck

jeef posted:

Went to Gettysburg today and got 475 unique visits in the National Park and town. Hadn't really played much since PoGo came out but it was a nice change of pace. I hope these challenges continue to be a thing.

Awesome. One of my team mates here was up that way with family over Labor Day weekend went and got about the same amount as you did. Their kids blew their monthly data in one weekend :) He and his wife both play and were telling me how cool that was. I'd love to get up there one day. Never been myself. The exploration of new places is one of the things I really still enjoy about the game. I looked at it on intel and drooled a little bit.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Does anyone know what effect the anomaly outcome will have on gameplay?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

shootforit posted:

Does anyone know what effect the anomaly outcome will have on gameplay?

Word on the street is that Jarvis viruses will no longer drop as hacks, much like ADA Refactors did after the previous Anomaly. I can't verify that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Mushika posted:

Word on the street is that Jarvis viruses will no longer drop as hacks, much like ADA Refactors did after the previous Anomaly. I can't verify that, though.

Apparently Ada is back, I hacked 2 Jarvises in the last 12 hours

• Locked thread