Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbXWgTtmf9c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, it is cringeworthy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I still think they should've gotten Tara Strong to play Tomoko. :colbert:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Aw. They had a good opportunity to voice a character without faking a "cute Japanese girl" voice. Instead of a nice crazy voice, we got "I'm acting!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Well that's objectively terrible.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

I thought it was alright until Tomoko started speaking.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Should I be glad I can't see it in my country?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How do they find these people? Seriously. She sounds more like an overexited anime fan that would be shouting meme... maybe they got it right

jvempire
May 10, 2009
The Japanese VA is a hard act to follow, as she nailed Tomoko pretty well. She went from egotistical and whiny sounding inner dialogue to stammering awkward outer dialogue, also all the strange little noises she would make were pretty funny. Though, no one else in the cast really wowed me.

This English VA sounds... acceptable. It sounds like she's trying to do the ego voice aand it doesn't sound bad but she could sound more pathetic. But I don't think it's that much of a deal breaker. I'm more interested in seeing how the script has changed, and how the jokes have changed (ie. Japanese puns, Japanese centric references).

Panty & Stocking's dub trailer had a similar mild reaction for me, but when I saw the first episode the dialogue was changed in such a way that I found it funnier than the subs.

So I'm optimistic. Even if it turns out like crap, it'll give me a reason to re-watch this sadly short show.

Dehry posted:

How do they find these people? Seriously. She sounds more like an overexited anime fan that would be shouting meme... maybe they got it right
Either it's an intentional weaboo voice, or just ordinary overexcited anime voice... personally I think a Tomoko english dub should sound like a girl doing a Beavis & Butthead impression but I knew that would never happen.

jvempire fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 5, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I liked Britney Karbowski as Yamada in B Gata H Kei, but she doesn't sound nearly awkward or screechy enough here.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

jvempire posted:

The Japanese VA is a hard act to follow, as she nailed Tomoko pretty well. She went from egotistical and whiny sounding inner dialogue to stammering awkward outer dialogue, also all the strange little noises she would make were pretty funny. Though, no one else in the cast really wowed me.

This English VA sounds... acceptable. It sounds like she's trying to do the ego voice aand it doesn't sound bad but she could sound more pathetic. But I don't think it's that much of a deal breaker. I'm more interested in seeing how the script has changed, and how the jokes have changed (ie. Japanese puns, Japanese centric references).

Panty & Stocking's dub trailer had a similar mild reaction for me, but when I saw the first episode the dialogue was changed in such a way that I found it funnier than the subs.

So I'm optimistic. Even if it turns out like crap, it'll give me a reason to re-watch this sadly short show.

Either it's an intentional weaboo voice, or just ordinary overexcited anime voice... personally I think a Tomoko english dub should sound like a girl doing a Beavis & Butthead impression but I knew that would never happen.

Yea I'll admit my only real high praise for the Japanese cast is Tomoko, everyone else is just kind generic.

Of course, since she's the central focus of the show the English VA being pretty wonky for her is kinda unfortunate.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, main voice for Tomoko doesn't work at all for me. It's what you expect from Sentai these days though, they try to pump poo poo out fast and it shows. I actually thought that Monical Rial probably would have been a good choice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The latest chapter is a lot less cringeworthy or hilarious really, but it's setting up something potentially amazing. And one of the early pages sums up the series perfectly.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/It%E2%80...to-Go?id=177472

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

quote:

Everyone's having fun while I'm sitting here trying to escape from reality by searching for funny cat pictures
This is the least weird thing she did yet so far.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

The latest chapter is a lot less cringeworthy or hilarious really, but it's setting up something potentially amazing. And one of the early pages sums up the series perfectly.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/It%E2%80...to-Go?id=177472

I'm not sure we're allowed to link these anymore? EDIT: Never-mind, I messed up.

Leave it to Tomoko to somehow make something really popular with absolutely no input on her part. Shouldn't have left those windows open.
Surprised they can watch videos though, I'd have expected schools to make sure their computers don't have flash and such so students don't get distracted.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Technically linking scanlations do break the rules, but the manga is also on the official site in the OP. My own thought is that it is :filez:. That is why the official site with the original Japanese webcomic is the only thing I link in the OP.

Volumes 1-3 are the only chapters licensed at the moment, and this stuff is coming from what will be volume 5. Really the only things unique to the print version would be the omake.

That being said, post at your own risk.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

Bholder posted:

This is the least weird thing she did yet so far.

Yeah, and also the first time I've seen Serious Cat in maybe five years. Are lolcats a thing in Japan, even?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

The Devil Tesla posted:

Well, it is cringeworthy.

yeah but for the wrong reasons.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My Watamote Volume 1 just shipped from amazon. :hellyeah:

I'm actually curious to see how much the official translation differs from the /a/ and World Three scanlations.

Also: It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not A Pokemon Master (not that the joke has been made 1000 times already.)

Dehry fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 29, 2013

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Oh and for people who didn't recheck the video

So it isn't a preview of the dub, I guess? Who knows if it's backpedaling or not.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I know this is a month or so late, but Guardian Enzo's coverage is the best review/recap of the series I've found so far. A lot of what he writes is stuff we've noticed before, but he does bring some details and analogies that clarify things. I still like his assessment of Tomoko as an "overgrown tomboy" who's hit the point in her life when that identity doesn't work for her anymore. (He also mentions that he was in Tomoki's position with a sibling when he was growing up, so he recognized a lot of Tomoko's behavior.)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jvempire posted:

Oh and for people who didn't recheck the video

So it isn't a preview of the dub, I guess? Who knows if it's backpedaling or not.

Sure, they just made an English version of the logo and had some random girl narrate the preview in English.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

Dehry posted:

Sure, they just made an English version of the logo and had some random girl narrate the preview in English.

I'm fine with what it implies: That there's still time for the lead actress to practice her role.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dehry posted:

You're being sarcastic but that's exactly what happened. The show was licensed by Sentai Filmworks, and only about half of their shows get dubbed while all of them get english logos. I have no idea why they made a trailer that implied there was a dub, but note that there's nothing in it that matches the animation.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Volume 1 came in today. It's actually matte with glossy broken 8bit hearts on it. There's also a single glossy page at the start that thanks everyone for the :dong: they sent.

The official translation of the chapters is "Fail" instead of "Lament." The translation is vastly different from the scanlation. You can definitely see the difference in quality. It seems like the scanlated version missed several things (like calling Middle School High School) and in general misses the context. In a chapter Tomoko puts her collar up and says that it's in style at her school. The scanlated version has Yu saying it's in style, but the official translation just has her saying "oh, so that's what's in at your school!" The context totally changes on many other things too.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Dehry posted:

Also: It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not A Pokemon Master (not that the joke has been made 1000 times already.)

Oh good, not just me then.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
I'm subscribed to this dude on youtube who makes some fuckin' killer mashups of Japanese music with other stuff and look what he just put out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh1MR0_i-Rc :allears:

crabhammaren
Dec 18, 2012

#2 #3 Dad

AF posted:

I'm subscribed to this dude on youtube who makes some fuckin' killer mashups of Japanese music with other stuff and look what he just put out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh1MR0_i-Rc :allears:

poo poo, that's awesome. I listen to Nakinyko's "Black and Yellow Sketch" mashup at least once a day. "Poolside Identity" is really good too.

My copy of the manga came in from Amazon. When I'm done reading is it worth it to read scanlations, or should I just wait for the next official localization?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

crabhammaren posted:

My copy of the manga came in from Amazon. When I'm done reading is it worth it to read scanlations, or should I just wait for the next official localization?
Well, the next volume is scheduled for the end of January, so you may want to go with the scans.

In other news, the new chapter's out and it's back to basics: Tomoko mimicking something she saw in animé to make people want to talk to her, only to completely fail. We get to see her interact with her homeroom teacher a bit more, and I like dynamic the two have. The teacher's vaguely aware that something's wrong with Tomoko and is trying to help, but the student-teacher relationship and the difference in personalities results in the whole thing being another exercise in humiliation for Tomoko. (The only thing that could make it worse would be for Tomoko to realize someone is trying to help her.)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

crabhammaren posted:

Scanlations will get you caught up, but go back and read the official translations when they come out. If you put the scanlations side to side with the official translation, they miss a lot of context. There was even a part where they missed her saying "It's like when I was in middle school" and the scanlators put "It's like I'm in high school"

Dehry fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 13, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
There was a new TomoMote too.

That third page. :smith:

Makes you question just how much of Yuu's success in high school was due to her "reinventing" herself versus her already being popular (Or on the verge of it) in the first place.

Saoritficis
Apr 23, 2008
So I have finished watching this and I can really only repeat what I am sure what others have said several times over. I am truly torn by this anime and I can only applaud the creators for that.

At times I hate it for using such a pathedic, pitable person as the butt of the jokes, only to then turn around and admire it for showing lonliness for the depressing thing it is and how it effects a person. Of course it's over the top and goes into the completely absurd alot, so that makes me able to watch it without feeling like a horrible human being.

Tomoko is of course to a large degree at fault for her problems, although fate seems to really out to get her as well. That "I only get spice" line was a real verbal gut-punch though.

In any case, looking forward to more content in this francise, will be keeping an eye out for it.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
The anime is over, is this still a thread we can talk about the manga in?

For now there's a new [short] chapter.

Tomoko's has such innocent perverted misconceptions.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

Short, but sweet chapter.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
World Three tanslated the Watamote Anthology, and part 6 is an epilogue to episode 6 of the anime.

As far as licensing goes, I don't think we have anything confirmed beyond the 3rd volume, which will be somewhere at or before chapter 30.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Dehry posted:

World Three tanslated the Watamote Anthology, and part 6 is an epilogue to episode 6 of the anime.

As far as licensing goes, I don't think we have anything confirmed beyond the 3rd volume, which will be somewhere at or before chapter 30.

God drat. I think part 7 was worse than like 95% of the actual manga just because of the way it was framed and such. It comes across like there's no joke - she's just stuck, crying, and lost her stuff.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Chapter 52's been translated, and today's adventure concerns Tomoko's faltering attempt at songwriting which manages to end in more abuse being heaped upon Kotomi, somehow.

This chapter did bring up something I've noticed as of late: Tomoko doesn't use the Internet as an alternate means of socialization. It would seem like exactly the sort of thing she'd have jumped into in middle school, but we only see her use it a handful of times. I wonder if there's a reason behind it. Certainly in the animé they made it clear that online interaction was just another sphere for her anxieties to play out in, rather than a liberation from them.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Marshal Radisic posted:

This chapter did bring up something I've noticed as of late: Tomoko doesn't use the Internet as an alternate means of socialization. It would seem like exactly the sort of thing she'd have jumped into in middle school, but we only see her use it a handful of times. I wonder if there's a reason behind it. Certainly in the animé they made it clear that online interaction was just another sphere for her anxieties to play out in, rather than a liberation from them.
2chan seems like a scary place.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think the chapter sums up the experience of someone buying Vocaloid software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

crabhammaren posted:

"Poolside Identity" is really good too.

I can't believe how well it works to be honest I can't stop listening to it :psyduck:

• Locked thread