Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I did install Estlcam last night to play with a little bit, and it actually looks like it'll be more than adequate for my current intended purposes. I really won't need much more than "basic" right now while I get the machine set up and learn its quirks and all that.

In a true "screw you" from the universe, everything extra I ordered to go with the machine is slated for delivery today. 65mm mount, Makita router, dust shoe, bit set, materials, etc. The machine itself? Monday! :dumbgun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Finally got a round tuit and made some progress on the MR-1!

First stop was replacing the very dim boob light with some properly bright fixtures:

The Bean Machine™️ now has the Y rails on. We were going to put the X gantry on, but I definitely got a Friday kit. The holes weren’t tapped all the way through so we couldn’t mount the linear rails.

I’ve got another ticket in with support. I haven’t heard of other folks having this bad luck with the kit, so we’ll see what’s up. If the answer is “tap it yourself” I’ll see if they’ll send me another vise if I do it myself.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
A Fadal 4020 will fit in an 83.0” garage opening…

…but will not fit in an 82.5” garage opening. I cut out the garage trim, but it fits!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Super jealous of the FADAL.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Super jealous of the FADAL.

Ty. It was a long move for the mill and surface grinder. Started at 8a, finished at 10:30pm. Lots of moving on skates on a floor with 20 years of oil and chips.

It needs a fair amount of work to get up and running again, but I’ll post pics and story if thread wants em.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Definitely want that!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Day 1: A Little Cleaning

I have never been as exhausted as I was the day of that move. I don't know how riggers do that every day. I figured to start out I'd do a little cleaning as I hate the smell of old coolant (also old coolant nearly killed me, a story for later). The machine came with the chip pan drained but coated in 2" of chip muck, which instantly stunk up my garage, so cleaning that out was the first order of business. After some shoveling and a little washing, it still looked nasty and beaded water nbut hopefully it wouldnt stink up my garage.

It seemed all was well until I stood it up and saw this pinky sized hole in the chip pan.

Turns out the 2" of chip much was the only thing keeping coolant in the pan. A symptom of this hole we noticed when moving this machine, as the machine was glued tot he floor with old coolant. We figure this was due to spills and condensation over the past 20 years, I'm guessing its mostly due to this hole. Oh well, I'm probably not going to run a coolant tank anyway, just use a misting or MQL setup so I'll patch this up in a few days.

I closed out day 1 by reinstalling the spindle fan and unpacking the various rigging equipment from my car.

Day 2: It Lives!

I figured I'd see how far I can get today, so I reattached some wiring and the wire guide that was disconnected for the move, inspected the cabinets, and checked various oil levels. All of the oil levels are 0. Great.

When checking the air oiler, I apparently managed to cut the O-Ring, so that now leaks significantly and the little pancake compressor I'm using just to get it running is not happy about this. Still, bigger fish to fry...

I wired it up...

...and flipped on the American Rotary AD20 3 phase converter for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised that it was rather quiet.
https://i.imgur.com/knDRqTq.mp4

I flipped the power and noticed no magic blue smoke! A good sign!

I walked around front and saw The pendant wasn't on at all. I checked the cabinets and they were interlocked or had power, so it seemed like thing should be fine. Walking back to the screen I saw the "Video On/Off" switch and flipped it. Voila! It lives!!!!

I recorded a little video of its very first jog.
https://i.imgur.com/jdkA7hn.mp4

And thats where I am as of noon today.

(Clarkson voice) Tomorrow: CFP reads a manual. A machine forgets where it is. And I shop on Amazon for an air compressor.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Day 3:
The machine arrived giving a corrupted memory error. The machine hadnt been used in a while and the lithium CMOS battery on the mobo probably drained or died during that time. Not sure if itll stay a problem or if its fine as long as I turn the machine on every other day. Fortunately, some of the parameters were written down on the inside of one of the cabinets. Unfortunately I had to zero everything out including all offsets in order to get the machine to do more than the jog you saw before. So I went about resetting the memory and reentered all the machine parameters and the backlash comp values that were written down. I turned the machine off, waited a few minutes, then turned it on again and it booted with no errors so hopefully its all right. I had to make educated guesses for some of the params, but hopefully they'll work for now.

Following that I wanted to try to turn the spindle on. I went into MDI and successfully got it to turn with S100 M03. The spindle sounds like poo poo. It sounds like its sweeping chips around, it could be real bad bearings and gunked with old coolant but I am thinking I need to take the sheet metal off and just try some cleaning, see if it something simple/silly. Based on listening to it before I bought it and the wear pattern on the tooling I got with it, it probably has a bell mouthed spindle with bearings that arent long for this world. A problem for future me.

I also noted the spindle fan didnt turn on. Fortunately it was just a quick swap of a burnt out fuse. I had one in the right amperage and nearly the right length thanks to my large assortment of ebay'd electronics assortments.

A sweet thing about the machine is it comes with a USB loader, which I tested, and it seems to be working even after the memory wipe. Havent loaded a program yet, but at least its talking.

Upcoming today/tomo: Learn the basic operator stuff, how to load tools in the spindle and tool change. Get oil for machine. Done, ISO 68 and air tool oil purchased. Install a new desiccant air line and tool oiler. Get it up and running enough to do a little test cut in some wood. I still need to level the machine then try to get it squared up/dialed in, a process I plan to make a video on, but for now I'd like to get it operational enough to do a little test cut in some wood. I'll prob post a video of the spindle sound later today.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 23, 2024

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CarForumPoster posted:

(Clarkson voice) Tomorrow: CFP reads a manual. A machine forgets where it is. And I shop on Amazon for an air compressor.

https://www.californiaairtools.com/contractor-grade-ultra-quiet-series-of-air-compressors/2-0-hp-air-compressors/cat-20020/

Ran 2 MQL sprayers without complaint, quiet enough to have in a regular garage and still be able to have a conversation in it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

https://www.californiaairtools.com/contractor-grade-ultra-quiet-series-of-air-compressors/2-0-hp-air-compressors/cat-20020/

Ran 2 MQL sprayers without complaint, quiet enough to have in a regular garage and still be able to have a conversation in it.

Ty for this, I'm prob gonna buy it. My friend has the 1HP 8gal and loves it.

I'd like yalls thoughts as I will prob also use an MQL sprayer, plus I use a cutoff wheel or HVLP sprayer a few times per year.

The 20 gal is $606 delivered while the same motored 10 gal is only $462. I have a dead craftsman 20gal I can plumb in next to the machine, plus can put my 6 gal pancake on the same line.

Any reason to get the 20 gal over the 10 in that case? Plan is to run shop air lines in the garage, so I'd probably put the compressor in a carpeted box in the corner and have the extra 20 gal tank near the machine with extra fittings for flow rate purposes.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CarForumPoster posted:

Ty for this, I'm prob gonna buy it. My friend has the 1HP 8gal and loves it.

I'd like yalls thoughts as I will prob also use an MQL sprayer, plus I use a cutoff wheel or HVLP sprayer a few times per year.

The 20 gal is $606 delivered while the same motored 10 gal is only $462. I have a dead craftsman 20gal I can plumb in next to the machine, plus can put my 6 gal pancake on the same line.

Any reason to get the 20 gal over the 10 in that case? Plan is to run shop air lines in the garage, so I'd probably put the compressor in a carpeted box in the corner and have the extra 20 gal tank near the machine with extra fittings for flow rate purposes.

A lot longer time between cycles if you have an air leak (I did). If you have a second tank to plumb inline with it, there is no reason to get the 20 gal unit.

You might also look into getting/fabricating a dryer out of an oil intercooler and a box fan, CNC machines tend to want dry air for whatever you're using it for, and it cuts down how often you have to drain the tank by a huge margin.