Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Anyone here have any experience with the Shapeoko 2 desktop CNCs? I was seriously considering the MyDIYCNC Sprite but the Shapeoko 2 has a 12"x12" cutting area compared to the Sprite's 7"x13" for only $50 more. The Shapeoko just seems to look a little more polished compared to some of the other CNC kits that are currently available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Just saw this today. A desktop 5-axis mill with a projected price of $3000.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

sounds neat but I have no idea why they're trying to make it weigh less

also having a hard time imagining that it'll actually cut steel with any effectiveness.

regardless, sure hope it works. a 5 axis for 3k sounds sweet as hell.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

sounds neat but I have no idea why they're trying to make it weigh less

also having a hard time imagining that it'll actually cut steel with any effectiveness.

Yeah, trying to constantly reduce the weight of a mill seems to suggest a lack of understanding of the concepts at work. Then again maybe the designers only work in foam and wax, and saying it'll cut steel well is wishful thinking. I don't think I'd try to do steel on a CNC without an automatic cooling system anyway.

Realistically a 4-axis machine can do about 90% of what a 5-axis can with some clever setup, but I'd like to have a 5 axis yea.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I'm not very clever though so it would suit my needs

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'm not sure why you'd need 5 axis unless you like impellers because thats all i've seen them make

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

quote:

The mill uses stepper motors and they can cut dependably to a tolerance of +/- 1/5000th of an inch

I totally believe this 100%.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I'm not sure why you'd need 5 axis unless you like impellers because thats all i've seen them make

People who don't understand machining think more axes = better.

5 axis is great for holes and fittings at odd angles and off centerline. Transform plane milling is so easy.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 21, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeeeeeeaaaaaah, they clearly have an understanding of where error comes in: it's all at the steppers. :allears:

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
There's no way that thing can hold 2 tenths with a 25 lb mass, some dodgy looking ways, and a table supported on one side only. The spindle looks surprisingly decent yet I doubt its runout is even nearly that low.

edit: Really don't think I trust a machine tool designed and assembled in a shop that consists of a computer and an incorrectly supported surface plate.

sixide fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 22, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, they seem to be not at all shy about taking theoretical max accuracies and using them as actual, real-world values.

"These steppers with this gearing means I can get .00000001 mil accuracy! I did the math!"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

honestly? because they look cool as hell when they're running.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

also I think you don't have to be as smart about how it's milled but idkwtf I'm just some dumbass

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
You can use the A and B axes to rotate the part so you can do 3 axis milling at different angles, that's not too difficult. Doing true 4th or 5th axis profiling is a gigantic pain in the rear end and the only CAM software that will do that is expensive as hell and most machine controllers won't do it well anyway.

For $3k you could get a 3 axis mini mill, a cnc conversion kit, and a mini 4th axis. Another $2-4k will get you a copy of OneCNC, which will do all your 3 axis and some 4 axis stuff.

Or you could drop $20-50k on something more industry standard like mastercam.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What's the difference between a $30 chinese controller and a $300 one?

I'm considering reverse engineering a good one and cloning it. I also probably have access to a cheap one I'm told it's slow and has a lot of backlash(doesn't software correct this?).

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Speed, power, and build quality. Cheap controllers start skipping steps when you run them too fast or when they're too hot. Now your computer thinks the machine has moved further than it has and everything gets progressively more hosed up. Bigger controllers can drive bigger motors too, which lets you use less reduction from motor to axis for even more speed.

The only backlash I could see is if it can't stall the motor, which even the chinese special can do no problem.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

This person did a neat thing, knows jack poo poo about machining quality or machine tool building.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006

bung posted:

Anyone here have any experience with the Shapeoko 2 desktop CNCs? I was seriously considering the MyDIYCNC Sprite but the Shapeoko 2 has a 12"x12" cutting area compared to the Sprite's 7"x13" for only $50 more. The Shapeoko just seems to look a little more polished compared to some of the other CNC kits that are currently available.

I preordered the Shapeoko 2 but I don't think they've started shipping any of them yet. I can tell you about it once it shows up though. It looks fairly well polished and they designed it to be easy to expand, it just requires longer Makerslides and some longer g2 belting. Being able to expand it was one of the biggest draws to me.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What electronics will you be putting on it? I've been thinking about making a laser machine with a shapeoko 2 base, a tinyG control board and a couple nema 17 to run it. Definitely post updates please.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 28, 2013

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
So far the plan is to use an Arduino with a Grblshield for the controller,and I want to use Nema 23 steppers on the X axis and Nema 17 steppers on the Y and Z axis. I'm really interested in being able to expand it out to 4x4 or 4x6ish (since the only options on Makerslide are 1m or 1.8m).

I know they like to bill it as a cnc mill but it's really more of a cnc router. Although I think it would work great as a laser cutter, and I've seen a few Shapeoko 1 builds that were used with a laser.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Chickenbisket posted:

So far the plan is to use an Arduino with a Grblshield for the controller,and I want to use Nema 23 steppers on the X axis and Nema 17 steppers on the Y and Z axis. I'm really interested in being able to expand it out to 4x4 or 4x6ish (since the only options on Makerslide are 1m or 1.8m).

I know they like to bill it as a cnc mill but it's really more of a cnc router. Although I think it would work great as a laser cutter, and I've seen a few Shapeoko 1 builds that were used with a laser.
I am glad this came up as I was wondering if such a thing could be adapted into a laser cutter with the right diode and power supply. If anyone has any links showing it done I would very much appreciate it!

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009
I got my Shapeoko 2 about a month ago, so it's all put together and I've had a chance to do a few test cuts. I also had the Shapeoko 1. If anyone has any questions about them I might be able to answer. Overall I really recommend the 2. They fixed a lot of the sturdiness issues from the 1 and it's a pretty capable machine, at least for hobby level stuff. You definitely want to upgrade the rotary tool to something better than a Dremel though.

I have a question about creating files though. I've got the hang of creating 2D paths at various depths, but now I want to try some 2.5D stuff. So far my workflow is Illustrator-> export dxf -> import into makercam -> export gcode. I just got MasterCam, so I'm guessing I'll use that to make tool paths. It seems kind of janky for actual modeling though. I'm curious what you guys use for a 3D workflow.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MasterCAM? Janky? Well, I never! :monocle:

don't even try to use it for modeling. it's a cam software and that's it. Rhino is the most reasonably priced program that's truly professional-grade if you ask me. Download the trial -- it's unrestricted except that it can only save or export 25 times. More than enough to get you started.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

SomethingLiz posted:

I got my Shapeoko 2 about a month ago

Did you get the full kit or did you BYO electronics?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I used to use the gently caress out of CASMate and I swear after 6 years fulltime of using and abusing it I could basically use it as CAD software. I was way more fluent in it that AutoCAD or anything and there were some nice things about it, since it was sign software it had some great tools for tracing raster images to vector and for tidying them up. The templatey features were amazing and I think I made that program do far more than it was ever designed to do. If it wasn't for that program and my ability to use the gently caress out it that business would have been in the shitter

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009
Thanks, I'll take a look at Rhino and CASMate. The learning curve for this CNC stuff is pretty high, but it's so cool when it finally starts making sense and you can cut out your own designs.

CrazyLittle, I did the mechanical only kit. One lame thing about the mechanical kit is that they consider the belts and pulleys to be electrical I guess, so if you go that route you have to order belts and pulleys separately.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
CASMate is pretty old now, you have to find a hacked copy because the legit copies rely on a dongle which the program accesses directly so NT windows can't use it, ie, you have to use Windows 98. It was a program I used when I did this poo poo for a job years ago but I'm sure you can find something more appropriate.

When I did CNC I didn't have to bother with tool paths or any of that bullshit. Depends how close to the bits you want to get and how close to real 3D (vs 2.5D)

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

SketchUp DXF -> CamBam -> Mach3 is what I use. Cheap, easy and versatile. CamBam has an import-from-image wizard for 2.5D so you can skip CAD entirely. I've used that to make wax positives for cookie/chocolate molds.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
This guy does some minor taig lathe/end mill work around air guns. I grew out of guns when I was maybe 12 but I do appreciate his machining.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I had no idea what you all were talking about so I looked it up. Holy poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZOiNdkJ8SU

How long does it take to program that up??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you're using CAM software, not super long. A couple of hours maybe. It's a symmetrical part so once you've figured out the general strategy to cut one blade it's pretty simple to repeat it around an axis. Then again, I've seen so many goddamned turbine wheels used as demos for 5-axis machines that I wouldn't be surprised if some mill out there has a "turbine wheel" button that you just push and it makes one.

I don't know if it's even possible to program something with that sort of 3D curvature by hand. It would end up being hundreds of thousands of lines of code no matter how you put it together, though, so I sure wouldn't want to try.

If you wanna see something really impressive that would actually take several days of concentrated effort to program, even using the best CAM software available, check out these guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S6NnNm-74A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIvhlKT7SY

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 2, 2014

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This is straight up nuts. Wow.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thats insane

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

thats insane

I think that's done in HyperMill not MasterCAM.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo, in that case I take it back.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Seems likely that it would be possible to make a turbine wheel by hand, or to code a machine to. I remember reading an article years ago about how one of the major Japanese manufacturers (I think it was Hitachi) who received a large fine for selling a 5 axis machine (or maybe it was 6 axis) to the soviet union, suitable for making submarine propellers, in the 1980s.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I've gotten my taig mill + steppers + linuxcnc all hosed up.

I can't figure out how to zero it. Currently it thinks (0,0,0) is somewhere in the middle of the table about 2" up and it won't let me jog past it. This it putting a serious crimp in my abilities to machine things. he;lp

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Wild EEPROM posted:

Seems likely that it would be possible to make a turbine wheel by hand, or to code a machine to. I remember reading an article years ago about how one of the major Japanese manufacturers (I think it was Hitachi) who received a large fine for selling a 5 axis machine (or maybe it was 6 axis) to the soviet union, suitable for making submarine propellers, in the 1980s.

I believe it was a combination of Toshiba milling machines and Kongsberg numeric control (not even CNC!) control systems. I remember seeing a blurb about it long ago in the Red Storm Rising manual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba-Kongsberg_scandal

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

Well, it depends how far you want to consider "by hand" and how complex the shape is, I think. From the ground up, the process would be like this

1. design the turbine wheel
2. define the shape of a blade surface mathematically (with eg. bezier or NURBS equations)
3. subdivide that surface along a set of three-dimensional isoparametric curves
4. figure out which isoparametric curves you need to run the tool along to cut the shape out
5. break those curves into three-dimensional linear segments at the desired resolution
6. determine the entrace angle required to reach the first line segment with the tool
7. do the trigonometry needed to work out the x, y, z, a, and b coordinates for the beginning of the segment
8. repeat for the x, y, z, a, and b coordinates of the end of the segment
9. repeat this process for each line segment
10. for good accuracy, there will be roughly 1000 segments per inch of toolpath
11. depending on the size of the wheel, the toolpath could be hundreds or thousands of feet long
12. you must do this for every surface, so multiply this by three for the front, back and edge of the blade, and then by the number of blades on the wheel to make the whole part

Possible to do it entirely by hand? sure, if you have a thousand engineers working for a year. You could speed it up a lot by programming a computer to do the trigonometry all those hundreds of thousands of times and write out the values so that you wouldn't have to. But if you're doing that, why not have the computer also do the subdivision of the isocurves into line segments? That's pretty easy for a computer. Then why not have it generate the isocurves from your surface definition automatically? And if you're doing that, why not just start from a digital model of the wheel so you don't have to program the surface into the computer in the first place?

And suddenly you have a complete CAD-CAM system from start to finish.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 3, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

I can't figure out how to zero it. Currently it thinks (0,0,0) is somewhere in the middle of the table about 2" up and it won't let me jog past it. This it putting a serious crimp in my abilities to machine things. he;lp

unless you have some bizarre firmware on the mill controller or something that's gonna be 100% a setting in linuxcnc. The mill doesn't know where its center is and the steppers just spin happily around as many times as you give them a pulse. you could just try resetting the software to default values.

also if you don't know how to zero your mill god drat old man, get with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

rotor posted:

Sounds like it's locked in some tool-change position. Use the EMC2 Stepconf Wizard to write a new .ini-file.