Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

did you center punch the holes before you used the drill press?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I'd recommend looking at some of the 3d printer controller electronics out there. Most of them can stream gcode to the controller over usb serial, and many also have the option to print run g-code directly from sd card that plugs into the controller electronics.

Here is the popular arduino based solution: http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4

However, newer controllers are moving towards using more powerful arm cores, which can handle higher step rate and more computing power for motion processing.

I use this on my large linear-delta style printer:
http://www.panucatt.com/azteeg_X5_mini_reprap_3d_printer_controller_p/ax5mini.htm

As long a max of 30V and ~2.5A is enough to power your motors.
Also you'll want a fan and nice heatsink on your drivers if you are getting close to 2.5A

I run smoothieware firmware on these electronics http://smoothieware.org/

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 15, 2014

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Parts Kit posted:

Woo, the Inventables mount has a pen holder built in. Hadn't really noticed that. This is great as attempted to make a dial indicator holder out of a 90 degree bent piece of aluminum rod earlier. It's sitting securely in the pen holder right now.

Prelim results -- MDF wasteboard is horribly out of whack. Definitely bowing on one piece, and there's a drop when moving to the other. Shocking, I know. :sigh:

Can't you just...mill it flat?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Parts Kit posted:

Now if I can only figure out a way to install these bastards without having to take apart most of the machine. :negative:
You might like these sort of things
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Drop-In-T-Nut-M5-Thread-For-T-slot-aluminum-extrusion-10-8-6-4-4mm-Pack-of-20-/381233727246

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Brekelefuw posted:

I'm finally making the plunge in to cnc with my sherline lathe and mill. I'm getting a cbc ready lathe from Craigslist but it needs motors and a driver box still.
It is set up for nema 23 motors.

I will read the thread when I get a chance, but until then can anyone recommend a driver box and give me any good links to learn what all this stuff means? Such as nema and what kind of stats I need to know about when buying gear.

My goals are to turn some stuff on my lathe and use it as a mill to do some engraving of a logo in a round part.

The only thing the nema classification tells you is basically the mounting screw profile. NEMA 23 means the motor face is ~2.3" square, and the screw holes are some kind of standard spacing inside that 2.3" square, which you can look up diagrams/dimensions for.
Within NEMA 23, you can get relatively short or long motor casings, longer generally equating to more torque, and more current consumption. Also they inductance, resistance, etc can vary even with basically exactly same sized motors depending on how they wind the coils.

The majority of steppers have 1.8 step angle, or 200steps/rev, but you can sometimes find them in 0.9, 400 steps/rev.

I've only really dealt with smaller nema 17 motors so far, so I can't really recommend a driver box for nema 23. It should be rated for at least as much current as whichever motor you get. You can find some pretty cheap ~$20 ones on ebay that are good for 5A or so, not sure how reliable they are though.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Parts Kit posted:

If anyone else is trying to bring svgs from Illustrator to Fusion 360, a scaling factor of 0.0185 seems to get fusion 360 to give you the resulting size you actually wanted. (Otherwise nice little 8x8 graphics for engraving become hundreds of inches in size)

SVG is terrible for CAD because there is no way to use real world units, its all converted to pixels based on an arbitrary DPI decided by whichever software you are using.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I always figured ballscrews purpose was more about precision of the movement (linearity, backlash, stiction).

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

cultureulterior posted:

TB6600 stepper controllers with the known torque problem

What's this about? I haven't used a TB6600 driver, but have considered picking up a couple.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Big rear end Fans donated an old 4 axis hot wire cutter to our makerspace at the end of last year, and I decided I want to make it work again. I'm mostly focused on figuring out their driver board / control boxes. I have some experience in the cnc routers we have, and plenty in hotwire cutting, but theres a second box in series with the one driving the steppers and heating the wire that I have no idea what its purpose is. No manufacturing label, and all I can gather is that it takes 8v, 1amp (if the ac adapter in the pile had anything to do with it.) Did they just separate the control electronics from the drivers and power supply? Maybe I'm having a brain fart.

Heres all the photos I took in the brief moments I was at the space today. I'm still waiting on feedback from our cnc slack. Hopefully we can start shoving foods into this real soon

http://imgur.com/a/Sim33
I was flipping out over the pic of the thing that is rated 600V 15A, because that's insane amount of electrical power, 9KW or about 12HP. Then I googled the part number and its just a cover for a terminal block, so that makes sense.
http://www.terminalblockmanufacturer.com/pro.php?m=d&pid=27&cid=34&f=18

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Nice job Ambrose, but actually the slickest limit switch setup is ... no switches at all!

TMC2130 stepper drivers for example have stall detection feature built in that can be used as limit stops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prw7wNa20Gk

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm looking for a gear motor for a project. I need it to run between 100 and 200 rpm and have greater than 65 inch-lbs of torque, and also not cost a billion dollars.

Anyone have sources for this kind of thing? I'm out of my element on this one.
That should be about 1/5th HP or 150W of power (@ 100% efficiency, so a little more wattage really), at the upper end of 200RPM.
Looks like you might find something in that range as a "wheelchair motor", on ebay or whatever.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Sagebrush posted:

In Sweden a mil is 10 kilometers :jeb:
Reminds me of the time I was talking guns/scopes with a friend who was a sniper in military, and he asked if I knew what mil meant, and I said "of course its 0.001inch" and he laughed at me.
Turns out he meant the other other other interpretation of mil https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milliradian

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm sorry to bother you guys with this, but I couldn't find anything on google.
I picked up a genmitsu 3018 to mess around with.
One of the things I was looking into doing was putting a stop button in case something gets hosed up.
So my very simple question is what would be the best way to wire in a stop button?
I was thinking of just splicing it into the power cord, but is there a better alternative?
Yeah, I would say just make sure you wire it so that its switching the live wire on the power cord, and that you use NC, normally closed, connection if your switch has both NC/NO options.
You could also make a sort of generic e-stop setup by splicing a normal extension cord and putting in a little project box with strain reliefs.

Don't know about the controller board on that, but it could also have its own stop input which you might be able to wire into, but I wouldn't consider that as an "absolute" emergency stop, since the depending on the circuit design/firmware it could potentially get ignored somehow.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

bring back old gbs posted:

I want to know if something exists but I can't even combine the correct words to google it correctly. I was hoping there was a way to combine a bunch of step/direction connections into one (i2c maybe?) connection with an arduino, and then 3 wires go to a 2nd arduino that breaks out that i2c connection back to all the step/direction outputs, so I can have a more easy to manage cable harness running to my robot

Is this a thing that can be done?

googling i2c related things just gives me results of daisy chaining multiple i2c devices, not combining multiple analog signals, transferring them as a single digital signal, and splitting back into analog signals by copy+pasting something from github
step/dir are already digital signals, so don't know why your talking about converting back and forth with analog. You basically just need an IO expander chip on the receiving end, not a whole other arduino.

e: Also i2c is typically not rated for much distance if you want decent speed, depending on your machine layout. SPI or some other serial protocol might be better, pretty sure you can find io expander for all kinds of signals though.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Also, at the lowest level, you basically only need a serial in, parallel out (SIPO) shift register, since you only need output and not input. But you probably want something supported by an internal peripheral device that doesn't require arduino to bang out individual bits at a time, cause that might be too slow. Not sure if UART for example can go directly to a shift register. Maybe electronics thread folks could tell you more.