Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Please someone just tell me if I should buy an XCarve or a Shapeoko.
Every comparison article I'm reading, even ones that are from like, a week ago (likely AI generated, tbh) seem out of date-- since the XCarve appears to come with all the upgrades stock now?
Like it has a modular spoilboard and it comes with the leadscrew Z axis so it's now at parity with the Shapeoko, and obviously it comes with a spindle already but

Just

Just put me out of my misery of trying to compare the two and tell me what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

lol y'all are well over a week late; I've got it half-assembled already

I dropped the gantry on my finger and hosed it up real good though

and also wow are the instructions really bad and also I had to disassemble the Z axis to be able to attach it to the X. Goooood poo poo, Shapeoko.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

They updated the machine late last year but not the instructions, and there's no note on the adjustment

So there's several parts that are different, several that are completely gone, and a few place where things just straight up weren't assembled correctly

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Nothing broken, just factory-assembled incorrectly for home-assembly.

Got my first dumb test cut finally sorted out after a few hurdles, so I guess I have a CNC now.
Time to make a guitar or something.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

That would be a massive laser cutter, in the 5-digit price range, likely.

I think you can get large-format vinyl cutters to cut fabrics if you attach them to a backer first. Cricut has a whole thing for this, but I believe there's folks who make it work at that scale.
And then you'd be in for a few hundred bucks and not thousands.

cons:
You don't get a laser to play with

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I bought a D1 Pro a few months ago so I've likely been through whatever problems you're experiencing. Fire them questions

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I was expecting "a little out of square" not .... that

Is your material vibrating around on the bed? Do you have air assist cranked up enough that it's blowing the acrylic around? Are you trying to use this laser in the middle of a hurricane?

Those speeds are fairly low for that machine so it shouldn't be drifting that much with loose belts
Do you maybe have them over-tightened?

What happens if you do a material test with squares instead of stars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Inkscape is fine and free and good

Or, possibly, you could just do your sketches directly in Fusion 360 and export them from there