Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'd like to make a small cnc mill. The parts I'd be playing with would be small, like 100mm x 150mm x 40mm. Most of it would be plastics but I'd like to be able to some light brass and aluminium. Most of the designs I've seen have much bigger areas and it seems silly to sacrifice rigidity and accuracy for space I'd never use. Anyone got any links to any examples of small mills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

rotor posted:

what's your budget?

Ideally about £500 or less. I've got a dialysis machine I can pull stepper motors from and MY GIRLFRIEND works in special effects so has a few machinist friends I can probably blag some materials from so I guess most of that budget can go to ball screws, controller and spindle.

My rough idea is that by keeping the build area as small as possible it might make getting a steel or aluminium plate to use as a base for a gantry style design less expensive

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 10, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I'm not sure why you'd need 5 axis unless you like impellers because thats all i've seen them make