Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randel Candygram
Jun 21, 2008

College Slice

Cakefool posted:

As this seems to have become the defacto cnc thread, has anyone heard good or bad things about the shapeoko 2 kits? They look easily upgradeable and flexible in size, but I wonder how rigid they stay at larger frame sizes.

I'd also love to hear any experiences people have had with shapeoko kits. I've been thinking about getting one for some woodworking and possibly making some aluminum parts, but I'm skeptical they're as good as they sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randel Candygram
Jun 21, 2008

College Slice

Novo posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on Shapeoko vs the X-Carve?

The Shapeoko 3 is more better but you can't make it more bigger.

Randel Candygram
Jun 21, 2008

College Slice

Novo posted:

is this really the consensus? can you elaborate?

When I look at Shapeoko vs X-Carve, I get the opposite impression...X-Carve seems to have more options, is cheaper, and the inventables website has a lot more useful content / stuff for sale. The Shapeoko site is just like "it's $999 do you want it or not".

Yeah, sorry, maybe not the most helpful answer.

The Shapeoko 3 is much more mechanically robust. If you're at all interested in cutting metal its improved rigidity would make your life much easier. Working with wood or plastic, though, I doubt there would be any observable performance difference between the two.

The X-Carve is almost certainly a better buying experience, and as it's nearly component-for-component compatible with the Shapeoko 2, there is a big ol' pile of knowledge and upgrades out there. Inventables is pretty great. The only complaint I have is that their forum is ugly garbage for ugly babies.

Which is truly more better? Only you can decide.