Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009
I got my Shapeoko 2 about a month ago, so it's all put together and I've had a chance to do a few test cuts. I also had the Shapeoko 1. If anyone has any questions about them I might be able to answer. Overall I really recommend the 2. They fixed a lot of the sturdiness issues from the 1 and it's a pretty capable machine, at least for hobby level stuff. You definitely want to upgrade the rotary tool to something better than a Dremel though.

I have a question about creating files though. I've got the hang of creating 2D paths at various depths, but now I want to try some 2.5D stuff. So far my workflow is Illustrator-> export dxf -> import into makercam -> export gcode. I just got MasterCam, so I'm guessing I'll use that to make tool paths. It seems kind of janky for actual modeling though. I'm curious what you guys use for a 3D workflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009
Thanks, I'll take a look at Rhino and CASMate. The learning curve for this CNC stuff is pretty high, but it's so cool when it finally starts making sense and you can cut out your own designs.

CrazyLittle, I did the mechanical only kit. One lame thing about the mechanical kit is that they consider the belts and pulleys to be electrical I guess, so if you go that route you have to order belts and pulleys separately.

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009

Randel Candygram posted:

I'd also love to hear any experiences people have had with shapeoko kits. I've been thinking about getting one for some woodworking and possibly making some aluminum parts, but I'm skeptical they're as good as they sound.

I've had both the Shapeoko 1 and now the 2. The 1 was not as sturdy as I would have liked it to be, but the 2 is great. I've cut wood, plexiglass, and aluminum with it and haven't had any issues with slipping. As long as you upgrade the spindle to something like the DW660 or that Makita router everyone uses, and get the right bits you shouldn't have any issues.

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009

Cakefool posted:

What frame size do you have? Do you rate the makerslide or would it be better copied in separate v-rail and extrusion pieces?

I have the stock 12x12 size. I'd like to size it up because the cutting size does feel very limiting at times. However I also live in an apartment so I don't have space for anything bigger. The makerslide feels very sturdy for the size I've got. There are a lot of people who have upgraded to longer rails, so I'd check out their builds to see how the rails hold up on a bigger machine. From what I've seen a lot of people use two pieces of makerslide back to back in that situation.

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009

ickna posted:

Please keep posting updates/timelapse and any problems you run into- I'm very interested in getting one for myself to build next month.

I've got a build log with a couple of gotchas at http://rettgergalactic.com/blog/2014/01/shapeoko-2-review/ you might find helpful.

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009

ickna posted:

Those are exactly the kinds of gotchas I was wondering about, thanks!

Once it's put together and calibrated, do you find you have to adjust and tweak things between projects or does it stay pretty well set? Do you feel like it's sturdy enough that the width could be expanded with more maker slide? You mentioned tapping several holes, did it come with a tool or did you have to use your own?

Once everything is set up it's pretty much good to go. Occasionally the vibration of the tool will loosen some of the bolts and I'll have to retighten them. I haven't done much other than that since I built it though.

Most people who expand the size add two pieces of makerslide back to back, so I would do that rather than relying on one piece. I think it would be sturdy though. I would do that if I had the room for it, the small size of the Shapeoko can be limiting.

My kit didn't come with a tap, but I didn't get the full kit so maybe that one does. Definitely buy a tap handle if you don't have one. I originally tried using a pair of pliers because I didn't want to buy something I'd only use once. The pliers kinda worked but eventually I gave up and bought a tap handle anyways, which was a thousand times easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009
Easel is free and pretty good at importing svg's. It doesn't have a lot of advanced functionality, but it's great for a simple import->cut. http://easel.inventables.com/

You can also try Makercam for another free version. Both of these are more hobby-level programs, so if you're looking for more of a professional solution you might need something else.