Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Brekelefuw posted:

Are there any threads on CAD programs on SA? I haven't seen one in my looking.
A fusion360 or solidworks thread would be great.
Fusion feels so good, but I am having trouble doing things that seem like they should be simple and intuitive.

Did you run through all of the tutorials that installed with 360? It's pretty thorough, but actually getting to the tutorials can be tricky if you closed all of the popups that come up the first time you run the program after installing (no obvious "Click here for tutorials, dumbass!" links or buttons blinking at you anyway).

I don't know that very many people would be contributing to a Solidworks thread, mainly because if you can afford Solidworks to begin with you probably already have enough spare money on the side for the multitude of paywall guarded Solidworks tutorial sites out there (the passive videos on Lynda.com are surprisingly good for this, even if they aren't really all that interactive for the user, and are the ones I'd recommend--I think they also have videos for Fusion360).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Sure, but how many people that post here are also retired military/veterans/whatever?

EDIT: I think you can also get the educational Solidworks for $250 or something if you have a valid student email with a participating college (that is, a college that 3DS lists as a valid college for the license, however they determine that).

EDIT 2: Either way, Fusion360 is free if you make less than $100,000 per year using it, so why not learn that? Solidworks is shifting further into "gently caress you, pay me more money" territory next year with how their maintenance charges will be enforced starting next year anyway.

EDIT 3: Full disclosure, we use Solidworks where I work and it's great, but I can't afford it for personal use, so Fusion360 is what I use there for my hobby stuff. I figure developing familiarity with both will be good for my resume either way.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 16, 2015

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hu Fa Ted posted:

If I recall there's an entire subforum dedicated that very topic :v:

I was actually referring to how much actual overlap there would be between that subforum and this one, but okay.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Or invest in a copy of the Machinist's handbook and study the sections on milling feeds/speeds.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Big rear end Fans donated an old 4 axis hot wire cutter to our makerspace at the end of last year, and I decided I want to make it work again. I'm mostly focused on figuring out their driver board / control boxes. I have some experience in the cnc routers we have, and plenty in hotwire cutting, but theres a second box in series with the one driving the steppers and heating the wire that I have no idea what its purpose is. No manufacturing label, and all I can gather is that it takes 8v, 1amp (if the ac adapter in the pile had anything to do with it.) Did they just separate the control electronics from the drivers and power supply? Maybe I'm having a brain fart.

Heres all the photos I took in the brief moments I was at the space today. I'm still waiting on feedback from our cnc slack. Hopefully we can start shoving foods into this real soon

http://imgur.com/a/Sim33

That's what the photos look like to me. Reminds me of the intermediate control box you have in between a PC and the power supply/drivers/motors on a CNC mill (look at the control boxes on the typical chinese CNC 6040 for reference).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NPR Journalizard posted:

ok, so im about to pull the trigger on buying this and I was wondering if anyone had experience with anything similar.

Speaking as someone that has one collecting dust--don't.

There are no limit switches (you basically have to manually tell the machine where 0,0,0 is and pray your Gcode doesn't send it into over-travel or try to drive your tool into the metal bed), no way to set up anything like a tooling library, and the pirated version of Mach3 they come with is in Chinese and you'll end up laying out more cash to buy a license for a supported version because the manual they come with is utter garbage (and the particular version of Mach3 is something that will only run well on a PC that has Windows XP or XP Mode installed).

The specific one you linked runs on 220v/50hz, so unless you live in an area that runs on 50hz (most of the US is 60hz), and have a 220V circuit, don't bother.

Even if you somehow have the perfect storm of circumstances where you can get the machine to work:

-It's incredibly slow, we're talking "max feed rate at 10 inches per minute" slow. And the steppers will overheat if you have everything running at 10 inches per minute all the time.

-The spindle it comes with will overheat and commit thermal suicide. There is a dinky little fan attached to the top of the spindle to try and air cool it, but it's pathetic how hot the spindle body gets while running.

-On the subject of the spindle--you have no Gcode control of the spindle speed relative to the feed rates you put in the program, you use a dial on the control box to set the spindle speed with no feedback as to what the actual RPMs the spindle is putting out even are.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 18, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NPR Journalizard posted:

ok, thats all good to know, thanks.

Im in Australia, so 220v is not an issue. I wasn't expecting amazing things, but you make it sound hopeless. If I kept the feed rate microscopic, would that alleviate the issues?

Do you have any suggestions for other machines that will do that job? The smallest I could go is a 3020, but I wanted to keep it under $1k aud. I was initially looking at a smaller machine, but im flexible.

You could always go down the MPCNC route.

https://www.vicious1.com/specifications/

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Volkerball posted:

:raise: so what happens if it over travels?

It grinds against the hard limits of the machine traverse and the stepper skips steps until the number of steps for the assumed movement are "complete". Depending on the length of the move this can either overheat the steppers or permanently damage the mechanics of the machine (strip the drive screw/rack-pinion setup of any given axis).

Open-looped controls are only really useful when you at least have some kind of homing/limit switch/overtravel system in place to stop the machine if something bad happens.

Sagebrush posted:

I forget, was this posted here already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtb7O_yk8c

I hope every single one of the people responsible for the Gcode in those files was fired. Jesus Christ.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I like the one where the spindle bends as one of the horizontal axes moved once the bit was in the material.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Anybody have a good source for the conduit used in the MPCNC build (specifically something that matches the 1" OD build)?

I'm going to print a bunch of the bottom support assemblies to go with it, but am having trouble finding conduit in the lengths I want--I want this build to be big enough to toss a full 4x8 sheet of plywood into and cut a bunch of small poo poo out of (so, ideally, some 5' & 10' pipes).

My basic plan is to get some 80/20 off of ebay to frame in the foundation of the thing, get a sheet of Marine-grade plywood mounted as the substrate and have the first program ran on it machine some grooves and counter-sunk bleed holes for turning it into a vacuum table (and have a network of tubing leading to the vacuum pump, and just plug off the sections not being used with o-rings and pennies as required).

There is no deadline on this project either, so I have plenty of time to shop around, but everyone seems to be really proud of rigid conduit.

Is there an option I'm not thinking of?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, Home Depot around where I live is a joke if you're looking for anything that's actually straight.

The three closest to where I live don't even carry 3/4" schedule 10 stainless pipe, much less in the lengths I'd want to use.

EDIT: Grainger is an online-only sort of thing for me, though I may have to go with them as an option and just eat shipping costs and hope they don't get damaged in shipment.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Draw the first hex in the pattern (minus the lines/hash marks for the sides where the hex will repeat if they overlap), then use the Array command to fill in the rest of the pattern.

Depending on your CAM software, you can tell it to Array such that when the tool-paths are generated it will run in rows/columns while machining the pattern.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

eddiewalker posted:

Look at the Mostly Printed CNC platform. It's probably a good starting point, at least.

The Lowrider CNC by the same developer would be perfect for this.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Yooper posted:

Anyone have any experience with Centroid? Looking at a custom application and need something with reliable analog inputs tied to a custom macro.

Not with your custom application, but we have two retrofit bridgeport mills with that controller on them. They seem rock solid if "still functioning after 15-20 years of exposure to highly conductive graphite composite material machining" counts.

No idea what the modern controllers are like though.

Side note for everybody else: If you're looking to pick up a CAM skillset during the pandemic, MasterCAM University is offering free classes until June 30th if you sign up for some spam email via MyMastercam.com and then go to register at https://university.mastercam.com/

That's all of the 2d/3d Mill classes and even the STEM: Principles of Machining course, which looks pretty thorough at the glance I just gave the lesson plan.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Yeah, I wish there was a larger audience here at SA to promote this to but this is the only thread I can think of where it's relevant other than side discussions in the 3d printer thread.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Okay so how will I get parallel 1/4” holes drilled precisely down the length of a 72” bar? The hole spacing from the bar end and from each adjacent hole is relatively critical, as is the parallelism of each row of holes to the edge of the bar. The spacing of each hole down the length of the bar is not critical, so here’s the solution: use my tiny mill to drill two (or maybe 4-6) precisely spaced holes inside the table/vise limits, then slide the bar down, clamp and repeat. I can use my linear carriages as as an improvised roller to bare the weight of the unsecured ends of the bar. I should be able to indicate off the free bar edge in two places to determine straightness of the mount. Test setup:

I’ll need to think about this some more before ruining the first piece of stock.

You can use your last hole in one setup as your first alignment hole when moving setups. Maybe one program working off one edge datum, then the sequential programs basically calling X/Y zero the hole you locate off of in the subsequent setups.

As long as you don't loosen the vise bolts on the table you won't have to worry much about parallelism as you reset X on subsequent setups.

If you have some manual machining experience this should be easy to do, all you're doing is using the CNC controller to do a series of holes more rapidly than you can do it manually.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 14, 2020

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Karia posted:

Rather than indicating in the hole every time you move, you can keep your drillbit down in the hole (plunged down past the flutes so the shank is in the hole), unclamp, and use the X axis to drag the bar over. You'll probably lose a thou or two every time because the hole's going to be slightly oversize, but maybe that's acceptable, and once you know that offset you can compensate for it if you want.

I was going to say this in my original post, but I know anybody with any industrial CNC machinist background would have a heart attack at the thought of using the positioning motors on a CNC to drag stock around (because they aren't designed with that in mind).

Also it's just bad practice in general, you can bend or otherwise break a tool if the stock is heavy enough.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Get some roll spring pins from Mcmaster-Carr and tap them into drilled holes with a mallet. They'll work better than screws and be a good indexing surface as well as long as you have the cut facing away from the side you want to index off of.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Karia posted:

I have ~8 years of industry experience. The motors wouldn't be the concern unless they're very under-spec'd. The only thing I'd be worried about is the spindle bearings: they're not designed to take static load. You'd need to minimize the bending moment by plunging the tool down as deep as possible into the material so you're running on the shank (that would also improve accuracy since you're not locating on the flutes.)

Realistically, though, the load here is honestly pretty small, easily <20 lb-f assuming the stock is well supported on both ends so it's not bending the tool with its weight (note the linear bearings being used to support the cantilevered end.) Accuracy can definitely vary, but my understanding was that that dimension wasn't critical, and if it was you could use this method to get close then indicate the holes in. The more critical dimension (distance to the edge of the material) is pretty much exclusively controlled by the vise.

I'll agree making a fixture plate is a better idea, though.

Most of the CNC machines I'm familiar with are large capacity routers that machine nested parts out of huge blocks of stock, so they definitely aren't meant to move 10' x 20' x 3"+ thick sheets of stock around (you really don't want to put that kind of load on the spindle anyway, shank attached or not). Even if it isn't steel, lumber and plastics get really heavy at that size.

EDIT: and yeah, when I mentioned that freakout it was from personal experience seeing the guys in the shop drill a 1/2" rod into the end of a piece of stock and then hook it onto the spindle head by jogging the spindle down to it and tightening a collet onto it before using the Z axis to lift the end and the X-axis to drag it onto the table.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 27, 2020

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, they got fired, but not for that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i havent done production set-up in a good while but watching a mill crash is still mildly traumatic. all quietly uttering oh noooooo at my monitor, reflexively certain i'll be staying late tonight at a job i haven't worked in years

For me it's the reflexive flinching expecting some kind of cutting or blunt force trauma.

I've been super lucky dodging flying stock and tooling because some rear end in a top hat bypassed the safeties on a machine and it blindly attempted a move that would have been prevented if soft stops were properly set up in the settings (or if proper tool touchoffs were done, etc.).

I wish OSHA did proper surprise inspections instead of giving a company a warning letter letting them know when they're coming by.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Oh, I've taken some hard hits, too. Had a narrow strip of UHMW-HDPE slide off the side of a conveyer as it was going along said conveyor, miss me the first time as it was going, the far end catch on a divot in the concrete floor, arch up and rebound straight into my face below my nose and crush my upper lip into my teeth (someone else that witnessed it said it looked like a 20 foot long snake strike).

Sent me staggering and fighting to remain conscious for several minutes, and gave me a hilarious bruise in the shape of the end profile of the part.

Machine shops have all sorts of hazards people don't think about until poo poo hits the fan.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rad-daddio posted:

Does anyone know the specific tradeoffs/benefits for running a timing belt and a pulley on your stepper motors? I'm going that route for my lathe x axis to make to make toe motor position more compact, but from what I've read online it allows for greater accuracy if you run a smaller pulley on the motor.

Also, I guess setting belt tension requires a bit of finesse.

What about linear actuators? Or a rack-and-pinion setup?

Something like this for the actuator? https://www.amazon.com/FUYU-Linear-Actuator-Motorized-Stepper/dp/B0784FYLWV

Maybe something like this for the rack-and-pinion setup (you'll have to make your own mount for the stepper/etc. to connect everything up to your rail on the lathe)? https://www.rovercnc.com/collections/rack-and-pinion/products/straight-rack-and-pinion-kit-modula-1-0-17x17x1500mm

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 14, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ante posted:

Is running a belt with steppers a thing? Why? It seems the only benefit of steppers over DC or AC (or even brushless) would be fine speed or position control, which is totally blown up by the slippage inherent in a flat belt

Edit: oh, I thought you were talking about spindles, nm

I'm assuming it's a beefier version of what hobbyists do with motion control on 3d printers, but still think a belt-driven system is a bad idea on anything where you need real torque to drive a tool on a machine.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Okay, I don't mean this the way it'll probably read, but: What the gently caress?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NewFatMike posted:

It's a CNC router kit! Send progress pics OP!

Oh!

https://www.onefinitycnc.com/product-page/build-your-own-onefinity

$2,100 + shipping for all the bells and whistles they offer for a 32 1/8"(X) x 33 1/8"(Y) x 5 1/4"(Z) work area kit isn't bad. Having the controller built-in at that price and not having to kludge one together is pretty neat, too.

Wish this was available to add to it: https://www.onefinitycnc.com/product-page/woodworker-qcw-frame-secure-from-above-version but I guess waiting until it's available and then budget-checking wouldn't be a hard sell.

EDIT: The controller itself is $500 directly from Buildbotics. https://buildbotics.com/product/113/buildbotics-cnc-controller

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Your CAM software controls what values output for things like safe retraction points/etc. (otherwise there would be no point in making sure you define those values in your toolpath dialogs in the CAM software). As an aside, I always make sure the NC tab on any Toolpath in Solidworks CAM/CAMworks is set to "Top of Stock" for the reference for all retraction plane data (there are options for "Top of Feature" and "Last Cut" depths that might be useful in very narrow application ranges but will always result in a crash if your features are ever below the top of your stock definition).

The M3AxisTutorial post processor just outputs your basic (and I do mean basic) G/M-codes with X/Y/Z and S/F/etc. values where appropriate and doesn't do any special flavor stuff like specifying lookahead values (for machines that support it) or any definition values (for the machines that don't store that information in firmware by default) for things like acceleration/jerk/etc.

It's also pretty much based on the FANUC standard G & M-code list, which is the same as about 99% of all milling machines and lathes out there built after February 1980. You know, RS-274-D (the standard code table used by every manufacturer of CNC controllers on the planet, copied and renamed to ISO or DIN or whatever, but the actual codes are the same).

Things like how many significant digits to use for spindle speeds and feedrates are things that are machine-dependent and you can compensate for a post-processor outputting "wrong" values by editing your post processor in most cases (or you can just subtract however many significant digits from the spindle speed and feedrate yourself to get the values you actually want in code (just move your decimal point accordingly).

The only time this differs is if you get a machine that doesn't have a particular feature-set enabled because the software front end wasn't developed to take advantage of it for the operator, or the machine lacks the hardware a specific code would reference so calling it up will just cause the machine to stop and wait for input/error out of the program and require re-homing to a safe position.

Like, not having a tool library definition in the machine because there is no tool carousel or tool holder setup with probing tools to take advantage of--a poorly configured machine setup will misread cutter comp code such that the value after the letter D will be interpreted as the actual diameter of the tool rather than the tool number reference. This can be compensated for in your post-processor definitions, assuming you have access to editing software for the post processor--something CAMWorks won't share with the end user because creating and editing post-processors is their bread-and-butter unless you want to try your hand at configuring a post from scratch with their post processor generator software--but it's the kind of thing to watch out for when using generic post-processors.

If you want to try your hand at making your own machine-specific post-processor you can download the "Universal Post Generator" here: https://camworks.com/universal-post-generator/

But good luck doing that because CAMWorks VAR are basically "You can do that at your own risk, we aren't supporting the end user who chooses to play with that" (same policy they take about modifying the Setup Sheets to do what you might want to do).

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 9, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NewFatMike posted:

FWIW, the UPG and EC Editor are what we use on the VAR side. I'm not sure if CAMworks train folks on it (I sure haven't been offered any training from them).

I shouldn't have responded to the post right at bedtime, I thought it was in a much better place.

Test new code, post processors, etc. with stock and tools you won't mind losing :v:

Of course.

I'm just aggravated because we no longer have support for the post-processors (purchased while I was out of work on a medical thing and the support period expired during that time) and I'd like to make some changes to them, but they refuse to share the source files with me so I'm not starting from scratch.

I got the setup sheets to work halfway like I want them to, but it took some deep diving into the XML output in Solidworks files (and some time invested into teaching myself how to format XML and XMLT files) to figure out the different variable names for things I want to show on the setup sheet and then format everything to display/print properly.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Where I work there are two FANUC machines with nominally the same controller hardware, but with two key differences regarding spindle speed and feedrates.

The one machine requires a code output with two zeroes beyond your intended whole number RPM target. So 17,000RPM would be output as "S1700000". 17,500 would be S1750000, etc.

The other machine takes whatever value is supplied in the code and multiplies is by 1,000. So 17,000RPM would just be "S17". 17,500RPM would be "S17.5", etc.

Feed rates in inches per minute work the same way for the first machine. A feedrate of 200 inches-per-minute would be "F20000", 260 inches per minute would be "F25000", etc.

On the second machine, 200 inches per minute is "F200.", 250 inches per minute is "F250.", etc.

Note the decimal points when present, because they are important.

For your examples, T01 and M06 tell the machine to check what tool is currently present and change tools if the current tool doesn't match the callout.

So if "Tool #1" isn't defined, or that machine isn't set up to use a tool changer, the machine will ignore both codes.

M08 means "turn on flood coolant", so if your machine isn't set up for that it will do nothing.

A bad machine firmware setup that has the option for coolant enabled, but lacks the hardware, will throw out errors and halt the program.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I have a GRBL 3018. I keep M06/M08 in as a final "sanity check" that everything is going fine, and maybe to turn on the vacuum. GRBL spits out an "unknown command" warning which candle catches and lets you bypass. Since GRBL doesn't understand whatever M-code "pause and wait for a continue" is, M06 or Txx works well for that.

I also have a tool library in Fusion with the actual tools I own; the fusion # is written on the box/location the tool is in. When I see the "unkown command T201 ; quarter-inch 3-flute endmill" I look over and verify that the only empty slot in the tool holder rack is #201.

That would be M01 (literally coded as "optional stop") where the machine will stop and wait for the operator to hit cycle start again (unless some lunatic disables that option at the controller).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Always make sure your NC output is set correctly on the NC tab on the Toolpath options.

I always go with "Cutter Comp Off" and whatever the wording is for "Output Code with Toolpath Centering" or whatever.

If your cuts are coming out big then the cutter comp codes are on but your machine has incorrect values for tool diameters.

And you may want to read this for a better understanding of the different operation types.

https://www.goengineer.com/blog/camworks-milling-features-and-allowable-operations

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 13, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Literally five seconds on Google and it looks like somebody else already solved this.

http://www.restrictedayerspace.net/cnc/grbl-postprocessor-for-solidworks/

They even share their source files for the Universal Post Generator if you want to backtrack and make further customizations.

The error in putting an asterisk at the start of comment lines that they mention can be solved with in a text editor with a simple Find-Replace command to replace * with a blank space (or just look through all of the places you can put comments in SolidCAM to make sure there isn't a stray asterisk somewhere).

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 14, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It is also worth pointing out that everybody using SolidCAM/CAMWorks really needs to read the TechDB tutorials and learn how to go into it and customize it so that they don't keep having to make so many manual changes for safety-related things (NC retraction planes always being some distance above Top of Stock, etc.)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dominoes posted:

Thank you for the info and words of wisdom! I'm looking forward to going through that GRBL post processor, applying the new wisdom re coolant, tools etc, and see if I can get SW + the post-processor to make files that work directly (or almost work directly). Regrettably, I will be AFCNC until this evening or tomorrow.

I've done some setup of tools and CNC machine in the Tech DB, but have a lot of work to do and experimentation to go there.

Did a bit more digging trying to find a post-processor for my hilarious toy machine (CNC Shark HD4) and found a GRBL post-processor for Solidworks CAM here:

https://hawkridgesys.com/products/cam/post-processors/carbide-3d-shapeoko

You end up signing up for some spam email in exchange for the post-processor, but that's a small price to pay since you can blacklist the sender once you get the post.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Edited for quoting since the reply ended up starting a new page

Dominoes posted:

Ayer GRBL postprocessor - works great! Had to remove one * line near the beginning, as mentioned.

Going to make a few more of these, then try aluminum.

If it wasn't for being :filez: I'd ask if someone could put that post processor for GRBL on a file sharing site and post a link here for everyone else looking to experiment with SolidCAM and their Shapeoko/GRBL machine.

EDIT #2: Make sure you recalculate your speeds/feeds and depths of cut/stepovers for aluminum, since I'm sure it will require a much lighter touch.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 15, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dominoes posted:

It was the restrictedayerspace.net link you posted earlier.

Good call on aluminum. Of note, the speed (S setting) here was too high for the 3018, but in the case its commanded to a speed higher than its max of 1000, it goes to 1000.

I know, I meant for folks that don't want to sign up for spam email to get it.

Have you played around with choosing "Library" for the Feed/Speed tab and then using the Stock Manager to set the material to something like what you are going to machine?

If you pick, for example, 6061 (maybe the most common grade of aluminum people machine?) in the Material under the Stock Manager, then the software will take a guess at the appropriate spindle and feed rates to use under the Feed/Speed tab as long as you have "Library" picked and have set the material in said stock manager.

This can be handy if you're experimenting and want relative starting point feeds/speeds to then adjust from with your overrides on the machine (usually a dial for the RPM and a dial for the linear feed that's in percentages--but this may vary depending on your machine).

There is a weird/painful process for enabling more material options in the TechDB (or at least, it was painful when I last did it circa 2018), but I figure more baseline data is a good thing when you're starting out (and you can always change the Feed/Speed option to Operation and put your own feeds/speeds in if you don't like the Library's guesstimate).

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 15, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dominoes posted:

I used the non-spam one. I set up the spam one too and skimmed the NC files it generates (about 2x longer than the Ayer and FANUC ones)

For the Feed/Speed tab, I've left default settings of Library, and used Polyurethane for the cut above. There are a few aluminum setting there too, including what it defaults to (I think the 6061 you mentioned? I'll use that when I try Al). I was surprised that selection is so small - eg there wasn't an ABS setting. On the materials setting for the CAD part of SW, there's a much larger material library, but it seems independent from this.

I may try the Operation setting and experimenting, especially if the default Aluminum doesn't work. Or if sending 10000 RPM to the machine that can only do 1000 (and reverts to it) messes with the feed/drill speed ratio or something.

Yeah, the CAM material library is completely separate from the SW material library (for the simple reason that the feed and speed tables mean nothing to Solidworks yet, and they haven't really integrated the software yet to the point that the same material library could be used for both).

Here's a "quick" walkthrough of how to add more materials to your list (and you can go through the list of available materials and pick materials you are likely to attempt to machine and remove materials you know you never want to mess with).

https://hawkridgesys.com/kb/add-camworks-stock-material-in-technology-database

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'd wager the Hawkridge one is going to be more well-defined and you're going to end up having more reliable code output there (since it's from a business that uses it as a "come to us for a post-processor for your other CNC needs" lure) vs. the Ayer post processor being done by a self-admitted amateur.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NewFatMike posted:

Did the Ayer one use a canned cycle? Probably G80-something? I don't believe GRBL supports ANY canned cycles

Could also go into the TechDB and disable canned cycle output on that side of the software (force the post to output long code for each movement).

We did that for one of the machines at work because, while it did support canned cycles, once you had a part that had more than about 30,000 holes the drip-feed code lost the canned parameters (& then the machine would just rapid to each hole location but not actually perform the drill function, serious WTF moment).

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NewFatMike posted:

Ooh, that's... Fun. Since it's in the past, I guess.

I never knew you could disable canned cycles in the TechDB, that's very good to know from a post processor troubleshooting side.

:zpatriot:

Yep. You have select your machine then go into the operation parameters for your various drill cycles to disable it as needed. But doing this for something like your variable-pecking cycle when your machine might not otherwise support it is handy.

CarForumPoster posted:

Ahh 1990s 2000s and earlier machining centers, cost more than my car, have far less memory storage.

The machine in question was built by Anderson America (their Stratos line of machines) and set up new in 2005, but yes.

Weird configuration using a Windows PC that emulates FANUC software instead of having a proper FANUC controller setup. I hate it.