Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

SketchUp DXF -> CamBam -> Mach3 is what I use. Cheap, easy and versatile. CamBam has an import-from-image wizard for 2.5D so you can skip CAD entirely. I've used that to make wax positives for cookie/chocolate molds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Exec. summary: Find a CAD program you're comfortable with and that has all the capabilities you need. Find CAM program of same requirements and that also works with file format from CAD (DXF, STL, etc). Before draining bank account buying a mill, practice process of idea -> CAD -> CAM -> G-code to get feel for what you need to learn, what you need to buy (mill, tooling, indexing/locating).

You could mill that sinusoidal stake without a fourth axis, you'd just have to flip the stock material (and possibly re-zero/index) to mill both sides (see below). Surface finish would be okay to bad depending on step-over and the size/type of the end mill, with small step-over and small, ball endmills producing the best finish but at the expense of machining time.

Prior to that, you'd need a CAM program capable of importing your 3D surface and turning it into 2.5D milling operations. Most CAM programs can do this. You'll end up using either 'waterline' or Z-scanning toolpaths to create the 2.5D shape and again I think most programs can do this. (I use CamBam, their documentation on this type of operation is pretty good: http://www.cambam.info/doc/plus/tutorials/3DProfile.htm)

Prior to CAM, for the sinusoidal stake specifically, the CAD program would need to be capable of a reducing-radius-along-spline operation. You set the starting and ending radius then the spline/curves to use and it creates the shape. I know Rhino 3D can do this because I used to use it but SketchUp, my current 'CAD' of choice, certainly cannot do it. SketchUp can only do a single radius along a spline with the default tools so you end up with something like this:

That shows what your stock would look like after the first 2.5D milling operation (as well as the single-radius spline extrusion tool in SketchUp).

However.... after the caffeine has kicked in... work-holding on that would a bitch. Milling the first side would be fine because you have a couple flat sides to clamp to but when you flip it over, you'd have to leave a thin web between the stock material and the part or else it's going to chatter like crazy. I have no experience with a 4-axis mill but I have to imagine something that small would be even more difficult to mill if you're just holding it by the square end in a lathe chuck or whatever.

As is required when I post about milling (sorry), please don't buy a machine from Harbor Freight.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Hey rotor, can I use this thread for mods to my horrible freight X2? I am throwing more money at it with some weight/rigidity upgrades, and will be doing a full 'inspection' to see just how out of whack the critical parts are. For example, I think my table is wedge-shaped and twisted along both axis!

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

That's basically just a cnc router with a drawknife instead of router bit, right? So sure, why not.

Unrelated to that: i've been having trouble with my joe's 4x4 I built. My y-axis, the one that's driven by two motors in parallel, one at either end of the gantry, seems to be screwed up somehow. When I try to run an actual program, the motor at the far end keeps crapping out, I can't tell if it's just skipping massive numbers of steps, or if it's actually stopping altogether, or what, but the two ends get horribly out of whack and it goes all pear-shaped on me really quickly and only gets worse the longer it runs. It's running on a g540. Really, just straight up this kit of electronics: http://www.cncrouterparts.com/4-axis-diy-nema-23-electronics-kit-p-75.html

I'm not sure how best to trouble shoot this. At one point, before I had my cable chain installed, I did accidentally snag one of the cables and pull it taught, I'm wondering if it may have been damaged? Like make not enough to break continuity since I can still jog it around without issue, but maybe enough to damage the shielding which is hosing higher frequency stuff? Any thoughts on how best to troubleshoot this? Really hoping I don't have a bum g540. Using EMC2 on a fairly aged computer, is it also possible the software is running into too much jitter and causing missed steps on the slaved motor?

Do a continuity/resistance check on the cable? Easy way to rule that out before looking at the more difficult issues. You probably need two bodies to troubleshoot a 4x4 machine though? Can't imagine running around by myself trying to watch for motor/belt/coupling issues.

I haven't ever had jitter be an issue on my CNC box, an old Dell Dimension 2350 running Win7 & Mach3, but I did disable nearly everything else in terms of services & processes just to make sure there wasn't anything else competing for CPU or memory. No network, no firewall/UAC/virus, etc.

I have the 3-axis version of the same kit on my mini mill and the gecko has been rock solid.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

This is the spreadsheet I use for speeds/feeds/power: (you'll have to download and open in Excel, unfortunately)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oWFxMNwjKyQWpXWUZwOU0yZHc/view?usp=sharing

You can't just plug numbers into the sheet though, you need to run some test cuts on any/every material you want to mill to see what your setup can handle. Start with a safe RPM, IPM and DoC and then vary each one until you have problems. Plug those into the spreadsheet and change the parameters until everything is correct for a given test, then see what sort of 'Required Power at Motor' it calculates. You'll now have a reference power not to exceed for 'unknown' operations. My Horrible Freight X2 mini mill can only handle about 0.4 HP (300 watts) before I get chatter.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I think the former -is- a legit concern I'll have eventually. Down the road, when I can do more than extrude different sizes of cylinder in Solidworks, I wanna do fancy 3D profile stuff for conforming dies and the like, and everything I've seen of Taigs doing stuff like that involve ridiculously long run times even in machining wax or foam. But I really don't see it mattering for the time being as long as I'm ballpark, yeah.

Those ridiculous run times on 2.5D profiling have more to do with the tiny endmills, low machine speeds (rapids and cutting alike) and complex geometry/toolpaths. A 2" by 2" cookie/chocolate mold of a dove in machinable wax took near an hour on my X2 at 50 IPM cutting speed and I couldn't push it any faster due to the poor rigidity and design of the whole machine. If that was steel, a mold I wanted a high surface finish on, it had a high % step-over between toolpaths and a tiny endmill yeah its gonna take a while.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Ambrose Burnside posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvqb6IBrKgw

am I CNCing yet

Real question- how do I set hard limits on axis movement in mach 3? I wanna futz around with test gcode but the first little program I plugged it hit the table's physical X-axis limit (had my hand on the Big Red Button so it only made an Ugly And Bad Machine Noise for a fraction of a second, phew). I think 'soft limits' might be it but those seem to only hold valid until you re-zero the axes.
e: It would appear that I am interested in something called "end switches" but fellow Taig users say running out of travel won't hurt the steppers or the machine but will make you lose position. Good enough for me??

Yeah I didn't gently caress with end limit switches at all on my machine, just let the steppers stall out at whatever hardware limits you have. Maaaaybe think about a Z-axis stop at the 'bottom' so you don't try to run an endmill through to your table or something.

EDIT: New page.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Brekelefuw posted:

Is anyone here a Mach3 wizard?

I'm trying to do the steps per inch config.
I use the auto calibrate feature to tell it to move 1 inch, but the motor only turns like .052" and then it sets the steps per inch crazy high so the motor overloads.

Jogging, with steps per inch at 2000 works great, but it doesn't move accurate distances.

Not sure if it is mach3 issue, or an issue with the settings on my motor controllers or what.

Does the same thing happen if you do manual G-code input like G0 X1 or G1 F10 X1? I can't think of a reason why that would happen with the auto calibrate alone.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Are you using a calculator for your feeds and speeds that also shows the required power at the motor for a particular operation? If you are, and you should be, finding your machine limits is pretty easy to do without the ear/eye for it that the pro's have - run some tests using progressively faster feeds/speeds and higher depth/width of cut, all while making note of the calculated required power. Compare surface finish and holy-poo poo-how-did-nothing-break feelings with the required-power notes so you know what your machine can do on a particular material.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

I have a CNC'd X2 (HF # 44991) with a ballscrew 3-axis kit, Gecko G540 . I would not recommend it unless you are only going to be doing 2.5D operations on a single side of a part and can put up with a lot of flat/square/parallel issues. The small work envelope is a pain in the rear end too.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Whatever amount is spent on just the machine will be spent again on tooling, work holding, dust/chip removal, cooling, etc. So they should have a realistic budget above the cost of the router.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Do you need the density and toughness of Corian too?

If not, 'natural' color acetal, HDPE, polypropylene, or expanded PVC board (a.k.a. Celtec or Sintra) all should be available without a texture finish. They all machine well but that means they scratch fairly easily too, they're not as tough as Corian. Get some samples to evaluate the ivory or bone color though.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

What was the aggregate mix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

I don't have the attention span for Abom anymore. Eight videos to finish a vise casting is enough edging that even Noga doesn't make a tool for it.

CarForumPoster, do you have a glut of cheap machines locally, are you going to solicit for 'projects', or...? Regardless, yes, I'd watch that.